Whats the biggest purchase youve made with coins?

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Re: What's the biggest purchase you've made with coins?

I cashed in the last couple of years clad and bought a Whites Eagle Spectrum in mint condition, and a new Sun Ray XL-1 pin pointer to go on it. It's nice to have a hobby that pays for it's self.

wheres_wheatie

Sep 2, 2006
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/ Carrot

Number one is that coins are not considered legal tender any longer. Paper money is but not coins. So they don't HAVE to take the coins in payment

BioProfessor -
Where did you find this out I'd like to read up on it more? I always thought the way legal tender worked is that if a debt is being paid and no limitations/policy's in writing (i.e "we do not take bills larger then $20) specify what is or is not accepted, then any form of currency may be used (checks, coins, cash) to settle the debt.

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

Hi Guys,

One little glitch in my information. The US did declare coins as Legal Tender for debts in 1965. I missed the clarification in classification so they are now legal tender for some but not all things as I under stand it. I was using their status in the sense that not everybody had have to take it. That, of course, is still correct.

From the US Treasury Website - http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.shtml

FAQs: Currency
Legal Tender Status

Question I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

Answer The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

So they can take the coins but they don't have to.

Daryl

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting stuff here - I love this sort of "nickle knowledge."
WalMart, look out. Here I come!

The biggest thing I've ever bought with found detecting money? A new-2-me detector: a used Silver Sabre uMax. I sold it to a guy in Italy for twice what I gave for it. Ebay strikes again...now my big dumb behind wishes I still had it. :'( That is one sweet detector.

jglunt

Feb 15, 2005
On the big Muskegon River in W. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

spez401 said:
I know it is cheaper for companies to choose debit... which is why when I buy from larger stores... like compusa, bestbuy... oh, and my favorite people ... WALMART, I always choose the Credit option ;D

I'm not sure if this is true but I think I read somewhere that choosing credit over debit provides more fraud protection and for that reason I also choose credit when asked or if the swiper gives me a choice.

Jim

OP
OP
Lasivian

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

jglunt said:
I'm not sure if this is true but I think I read somewhere that choosing credit over debit provides more fraud protection and for that reason I also choose credit when asked or if the swiper gives me a choice.

Only in that the user has to give a signature. There is no difference on the backend nowadays. Except that the credit card company makes the merchant pay more to process the transaction.

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum

I buy coin lots from everyday people and a lot of times I get the halves and dollars that are only worth face value. I love to use these at the gas stations where the people do not speak the best of English. You know who I mean. I enjoy the look on their faces when I put down the exact amount of gas purchased with Kennedys, Eisenhowers, Susan B's, Sac's, and $2 bills. I also love the feeling of throwing those worthless coins back into circulation. Don't keep them guys, if they are not silver, throw them back.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250

Coins, how about $2 dollar bills...saved $2 bills for a trip many moons ago to Rock Springs, WY and when I finally left I had over $1500 in $2 bills and paid for everything with those bills! Coins, I'd say paid off a bill with $60 in quarters.

Kilika

Apr 6, 2007
NW Washington (State)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, GMT

I once bought a brand new waterbed with a jar full of coins ;D about $500 worth.
:D :D
(they didn't care... they were just happy to get my money)

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX

Who had to count them out? Probably OK in a waterbed store. Bet it would have been different at Wally World. ;D

HaveFaith

Apr 4, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Prizm II, White's PI Pro, Sov. GT

I was told by my bankthat if you use your debit card as a debit, the storescharge you a POS= Point of Sale. Walmarts charges .75c-1.50, depends on how large your bill is. It does show up on the statements.

I cashed in 50.00$ to get a seasons beach pass. Saving to get my hubby a detector.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT

This isn't quite an answer to this question, but I'm longing to participate! Every July, I take a check in the equivalent of the year's clad (fiscal years start on July 21, my MD anniversary) to Mahaffey Camp, our church camp in central Pennsylvania. This year's contribution will be in the $90-95 range. Not a purchase, really. When I accumulate a roll of silver Roseys, I take them to a coin dealer and trade for coins my kids don't have in their collections. I've stopped including Mercs because most of them now go to property owners who let me search their place. To me, it's a small price to pay for the privilege. When I have a roll of extra Washingtons, I'll take them to the dealer as well. This way, my kids will get those hard to find coins that are seldom found in the ground. As for how I dispose of all that clad, my bank has a machine that is free to their customers; it accepts all but the most mutilated coins. ;D

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Lasivian said:
Gribnitz said:
Although the Coin Star machine helped me turn all that nasty cald into silver.

Doesn't Coinstar take 10%?

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS said:
Get a new bank ;) ;D

Working on it, 2% is the lowest i've found and that's my credit union.

you do realize that 2% of $70 is $1.40, right?

Is it really worth the hassle to save $1.40?

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Saving to get my hubby a detector.

What a woman, what a WOMAN!

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B

In 1985-86 I worked for a company that had approx 200 video games in different locations around Southern Calif. My job was to travel around removing the coins, reset, clean and repair the machines.I was payed in quarters.The owner used a counting scale and would poor out an approx 15% weight in a cloth bag and hand it over.Always felt like the old movies were they pour gold dust out to pay the proprietor. We bought a liftgate with coinage, $780 no receipt no tax.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Biggest in dollar value or biggest item in size???

My first car was purchased for 50 cents...two shiny quarters. I loved that junker.

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX

Here is my biggest $$ purchase

Paul

"Do ya feel lucky punk?"

Attachments

• Sunnyslope Fire 027 (Large).jpg
    Sunnyslope Fire 027 (Large).jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 115

bomber

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2006
DUI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

took my clad money and my pocket change over the course of one year(just shy of 500) and started coin roll hunting,with the silver i got that i paid for my DFX :o ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread