Encounter with a snake - and proof Ive lost it!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
DeepseekerADS, you mis-identified some other species of snake for a copperhead. Copperheads only grow to about 3 ft. long.

I don't know how long the copperhead was that bit me when I was 11 or 12, but I will never forget what it looked like, and the ones in my garden look just like what I remember.

cover_NorthernCopperhead.jpg

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the lord Jesus is our serpent-crusher.he is our dragon-slayer.and one day when he establishes his kingdom on this earth all of creation will be restored to it original harmless state-snakes included

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've run the woods since I was a wee toddler and seen and killed my share of snakes. Once while digging bottles in an old dump site my partner and I were finding copperheads in a lot of our holes, we would pull em out as far as safe then whack em with our diggers. Found a lot of nice old bottles there but had no desire to go back. Black snakes bed down for winter right alongside rattlers and copperheads in the same dens, not so sure that the sayings that they eat venomous snakes is true or not. Got a triple bite on my left forearm by a copperhead April of 2015, still gives me problems over a year later, the one that bit me got away. I killed a 6 foot copperhead myself back in the late 60's on the Oconee River in Georgia, several eyewitnesses to the event, and have seen others over 3 feet long, so know they get bigger. Spent a day with a professional herpetologist in the woods one fine day in the mid 70's, and he learned quit a bit about snakes that somehow defied all his prior knowledge. I kill them all now, don't like em around my house. Slingshot is my preferred tool for snake elimination.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 81

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be one heck of a shot with that!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You must be one heck of a shot with that!

Check out youtube for pfshooter or Bill Hayes to see what can be done with a slingshot, neither are me but one of my first toys was a slingshot, and been using them as pest control in the garden for many years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread