Encounter with a snake - and proof Ive lost it!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Encounter with a snake - and proof I've lost it!

Decided to put in a drain pipe just below grade level to try to get some water from the building. So a couple guys from church came over late Saturday to help.

We're moving the 4" rigid plastic pipe into position and both guys freeze.

One yells "snake". There is a big black snake where we need to be. So I poked the snake with the pipe and he didn't move.

So I poked him again, and drop one end on the little beast's tail. Didn't hurt it.

So I apologized to the beast. He left. Apologizing to snakes. What's next.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Sure nicer than killing it and I bet that apology made it feel better. Maybe we're both losing it...

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes good job with the snake,black snakes will eat poisonous ones.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard they'll attack poisonous ones. This one was in its prime. Pretty thing. Probably would have made a nice pet as didn't know enough to run or attack. If you like that of course. I have cats.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope he has a nice long life. It's been a long time since I've seen one that big so close to the house. May have been the one I saw a couple years ago in the shed, was about 15" long at that time.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think a gift might be in order if you see it again. KIDDING!

driftless

Sep 21, 2015
SE MN
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, F 70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just don't listen to them if they start talking to you

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
on behalf of all wild animals of earth, Thank YOu!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't believe you brought this Black snake thing up..... I live in Middle TN. About 4:30 pm I'm heading out to my car to make a beer run. A large black snake was lying about 6-7 ft. from my car all stretched out. I'm not afraid of snakes at all. So I just stood their in amazement. This snake was about 7-8 ft. long and not real big around but you couldn't miss him/her!

So what does this damn thing do....? It goes under my car and crawls up under the rear chassis. So.... I don't want to hurt this snake but I'M ON A BEER RUN!

I start the car up thinking it will leave. So I wait for 5 minutes and I can still see the darn things tail hanging from above the gas tank. So me... being me.... says enough is enough and I grab the tail. I wanted to hang on and pull the snake off the chassis. I failed.... had a good grip but it pulled away. Now I can't see it anymore.

I made the beer run.... end of story.!?

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I'm gonna try to make this short ok. I'm "TERRIFIED" of snakes. Why ?? Snakes are "Vaingt", Celtic for "Cursed by God". They are the ONLY animal Cursed by God DIRECTLY and BANNED from ever entering Heaven. They are the direct reincarnation of Satan himself. I would have shot BOTH snakes, have them removed then had a Priest at my house to reConsecrate my house, property and ALL that live in it Blessed in 1.2 Miliseconds. Snakes are the purest form of EVIL on Earth as stated by God. I don't think you want to argue with God. AGREED ?? I mean this with every fiber of my Being.!!! Please do yourselves a favor and have a Priest Bless your House and ALL that live in it to protect your Families against the EVIL they possess. I ask this of you in Christs Name. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even non venomous snakes are loaded with bacteria I got a bad infection from a garter snake ,(handle with care).hows the saying go,I fed you took care of you saved your life. Why did you bite me. Because I'm a snake .

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I'm gonna try to make this short ok. I'm "TERRIFIED" of snakes. Why ?? Snakes are "Vaingt", Celtic for "Cursed by God". They are the ONLY animal Cursed by God DIRECTLY and BANNED from ever entering Heaven. They are the direct reincarnation of Satan himself. I would have shot BOTH snakes, have them removed then had a Priest at my house to reConsecrate my house, property and ALL that live in it Blessed in 1.2 Miliseconds. Snakes are the purest form of EVIL on Earth as stated by God. I don't think you want to argue with God. AGREED ?? I mean this with every fiber of my Being.!!! Please do yourselves a favor and have a Priest Bless your House and ALL that live in it to protect your Families against the EVIL they possess. I ask this of you in Christs Name. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

I guess I'm going to Hell, since I have handled hundreds of snakes in my lifetime.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never handled one. Never will. And no snakes go to hell. In the garden the devil took the form of a a "serpent". It was the devil, who through pride, lost it all, and when he was unceremoniously thrown out of heaven, he took 1/3 of the angelic beings with him, now known as demons. In real life I'm an ordained minister (the other job) and am certainly not going to do a snake exorcism. We need protection from evil, which is best seen in people, not animals. Just watch the news any day to see my point. And yes, even pets bite. My own cat, now long gone, when he wanted my attention would come up to me while I was on the computer and gently put his teeth on my leg. Never bit or left a mark, but it was that "hey, it's my turn for attention time." He was something else and a BFF.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Damn.... I got snakes EVERYWHERE around here. Mostly copperheads and a lot of them! Rattlesnakes are all around here also. But they never bother us at all. But then again I don't run around poking them either. If I see them in the yard during the day I take them out with a .22. But there all over when the sun sets.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My property is over abundant in copperheads. All those holes I have last year in my raised beds - I thought they were from moles. At the end of the season last year I was cleaning the beds and unearthed the tail of a copperhead. Because of the running weeds I decided to remove the planks and till the beds in with native soil for a batch of strawberry plants, and stirred up a 6 foot copperhead from the beds. My brother was hand cleaning the compost in one of my grape plots and got himself the tail of a smaller copperhead.

I didn't know that copperheads ran underground, had no idea.

So I need some black snakes, and I need a rat terrier type dog too!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yea... I didn't know copperheads or any snake went underground except into already open holes. I can't imagine how they'd do it either....?

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeepseekerADS, you mis-identified some other species of snake for a copperhead. Copperheads only grow to about 3 ft. long.

Smokeythecat, you are right about pets biting. I've had ferrets, guinea pigs and rabbits for pets. They all bit me.

A friendly milk snake I caught in my back yard after posting my comment earlier today. 100_2767 (640x427).jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the snakes leave me alone, i leave them alone.

We only had one year that we saw snakes in the yard, about 20 years ago. Haven't seen any since.....husband says it my cooking!
Hey, i feed the stray cats, squirrels, & birds they're all still alive!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread