Does Anyone Get Ridiculed While Detecting?

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This may just be one person venting, but it may also be a different perspective. I frequently hear comments, sometimes directly, sometimes indirectly about "finding gold" or "finding treasure". I fluff it off and go about my business of listening for the next good signal.........
I need to remind myself that everyone needs a link to the past. People may not readily believe that, but they do. Take a look around the homes of anyone. As a flooring contractor, I get to see the inside of many homes. Everyone, without exception, has a family heirloom. It is usually a piece of furniture passed from generation to generation........old family photographs, some of historical significance (one customer had photos of a family member who was part of the crew of the Enola Gay posed alongside the plane) adorn the walls..........it might be jewelry.......a painting.......or some seemingly insignificant do-dad. But, those links to the past are there...........
There is an inherent need for all of us to hang on to the past. Most people accept (consciously or subconsciously) that what they have is enough to satisfy that bond to their ancestors.
As treasure hunters, we reject that notion and continue the search for historical artifacts/relics/coins that will not only bring us closer to the past, but will also enable future generations to connect not only with our ancestral heritage, but with our generation as well.
I don't know if reminding those who ridicule about their own links to the past would do much good, but........... everyone acknowledges "the good old days".

So ends this rambling rant............

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ridiculed ? I'm not remembering ever being "Ridiculed"
of course Your definition of Ridicule may be different then mine , I don't know.
I've had strangers Jokingly ask me if I found any gold yet.
But the Words "Not yet" or "Yea ! but Not today Yet" usually take the sarcastic look on their face off.
whether it turns to Surprise, Disbelief, Or comfort in the Fact I didn't get offended, I don't know..
but Sensitivity has never been a weak point with Me.
I just pass it off as either fear a conversation starter or jealousy.

Jealousy : because they wish they could do it.
Fear : because they are walking by & I'm a stranger to them
a conversation starter : because they are truly interested & Curiosity got them.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I seem to run into people who are interested and think treasure hunting would be cool to do.
Then I show them the trash.

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I seem to run into people who are interested and think treasure hunting would be cool to do.
Then I show them the trash.

Yeah me to; if its kids I will let them have a go at it because its Europe, nothing here is hunted out.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Chizzy, now THAT'S a rant worthy of signing your name to! ....The Enola Gay? REALLY?!?!?!?? Goofy-Toothy smiley (small).jpg WOW!!

Historically, people fear what they don't understand. In the modern world of education, many folks think that there can't possibly be anything worthwhile in the ground - otherwise there would be more people out there with detectors. Others realize you're not looking to get rich, but can't understand in their minds why someone might pay hundreds or thousands for detecting equipment, only to find a few old coins in really bad shape. Still others think it's somehow wrong - like you're damaging the environment - like you're giving off some sort of terrible radiation or something. It takes all kinds, and all kinds make up the world around us.

Personally, I think golf is stupid. What's the point of hitting a ball far, far away, only to chase it down and hit it again? ...It's just not for me. That's all. However, I have never been the slightest bit negative towards others who DO like golf. And think about it - these are people who spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to go chasing a ball around all over the place. What do they have to show for it at the end of the day? At least you have some coins/jewelry/pulltabs/nails/cans. :occasion14:

@Jeff - great reply!! :thumbsup:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Only by my wife when I'm later than I said I'd be and still in the field.

She can be merciless sometimes! :whip2:

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Its the same as asking someone fishing if they caught anything. You find anything? You caught anything?

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just by my wife. She thinks its the creepiest hobby in the world. We really need to break that stigma...

Coach Stack

Apr 5, 2016
Colorado Springs, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
AT Pro Pointer
Kelllyco Vulcan 360
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would I possibly get ridiculed? Shessh I'm the picture of perfection.
IMG_42411 (1).jpg

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
My story:"There's nothing valuable in X-town dumb-azz"(my 2nd hunt of the year)

After doing some research and studying some old maps, I planned a trip with my dad to "x-town" which was about 30 mins away. Our first stop, was to grab a bite to eat. After, while driving in my small car, my father began to kick and the garbage around on the floor of the passenger seat claiming, "I can't move in here". Already frustrated, I gather the junk of the front seat and pulled into a near-by park(nothing good there) and went to a garbage can to throw the stuff from the passenger seat away.

Looking in the can, I noticed two beautiful solid wood with fancy gold painted trim, picture frames(On the back, they were listed at $10.00 a piece). Score! We then drove right to "x-town" and when we got there, we noticed that it was an old, BAD part of town(a bit dangerous). With my CTX in hand, I started swinging and my first target was a choppy 1-44. digging 8 inches down I popped out a dull grey disc that turned out to be a 1954 ben half!

We pressed on. After a while, there were scores of teenage hooligans smoking cursing worst than any sailor would in the park. My second target, a 12-43 turned out to be a 6 inch 1964 rosie. The, walking along the fence of a ball field with my dad, I spot a dollar bill pressed against the bottom of the fence mixed with leaves. Score!

Then, a guy pulls up in a $90,000 BMW about 40 feet from where we are at. Now I am thinking, this guy is going to throw us out. He then looks at us. I stop and look at him. he goes to his trunk and gets something. At this point, im thinking he is a couch getting the kids ready for baseball practice or something. I detect on. A few wheaties later, I look over at him and he is swinging away with what looks like a bounty hunter with a small coil. I laughed(COULDNT HELP IT) and pointed the guy out to my father. His coil was bent at a 45 degree angel, it was 3-6 inches above the ground, and he was swinging 100 miles and hour. I headed to him slowly because I so wanted to know what a guy with a $90,000 BMW, swinging a bounty hunter incorrectly was doing in such a poor part of town. As soon as the guy saw me heading in his direction, he packed up and left(seems odd doesn't it).

The swinging continued and 2 more wheats later, I dug my 3rd silver of the day, a 1930 merc dime. I turned around and my father vanished. I went into panic mode searching for him when I see him coming out of the woods unscathed.

While waiting for him, I decided to swing(I had headphones on) where I got the half, and there were about 6, 15ish year olds sitting at a table, the top dog teen yelled, "There is nothing valuable in x-town dumb-azz". At that point I stopped, turned my machine off, took of my headphones and starred right at him. Slowly, all the other teens left the table leaving him on his own. Still starring at him, he put his head down, got up and walked away. My father said this was a dangerous thing to do, and I understand ALL the possible outcomes, but sometimes my anger gets the best of me.

Anyway, it was a great day. My research paid off and I got three silvers. I guess there was something valuable in x-town, DUMB-AZZ! LOL

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Personally, I think golf is stupid. What's the point of hitting a ball far, far away, only to chase it down and hit it again? ...It's just not for me. That's all. However, I have never been the slightest bit negative towards others who DO like golf. And think about it - these are people who spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to go chasing a ball around all over the place. What do they have to show for it at the end of the day? At least you have some coins/jewelry/pulltabs/nails/cans.

Lol! I find golf clothes stupid looking!

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
It's funny when people say that, because ultimately it devalues THEMSELVES...

:thumbsup:

My rhetorical reply would have been, "So what are you saying about yourself"?

I was pleased to see someone else (you) got there first.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Needs black socks! :laughing7:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a guy in the park throwing coins out in front of me and my grand daughter. Ticked me off, so we bundled up and left. I went back a few days later and checked again. Either someone else had been there before me, or he went around picking up his coins, because I didn't find a thing where he threw the coins.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have just about run the gamut with people and their reactions to me detecting.
I've been snickered at, out right laughed at, had pics taken of me , had pennies thrown at me. I told that clown not to be so cheap throw $100 bills, it worked, he quit.

I think one of the reasons we like digging is we aquire more knowledge of our past. You can find out a lot about people from what they lose or discard. For anyone that doubts that, take a bag of your own garbage and go tbru it and see what it tells you about yourself, you will be surprised...and probably buying a paper shreader.

We live to learn, and learn to live!

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i was never ridiculed for doing it,but my kids were told they were lucky to have a dad like me one time i was hunting with them.made me feel good at the time,and now again

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions