Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 500
Garrett GTAX 550
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi :)

I am just curious...

Question 1: How many of us sell off our best finds rather quickly for cash instead of amassing collections?

Question 2: What is the best thing you have bought using only metal detecting finds to finance it? (The obvious answer here would be another or better detector. I want to exclude detector buys.) What else did you buy?

Thanks. Just curious. I usually sell off the good stuff really soon after finding it. I am hoping to save my finds money up to eventually buy an RV this year.

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I sold my first gold ring for cash and regret it every day because I have no idea how I spent that money. Now I save my stuff for new MD stuff. I have made a pact with myself that I will only buy new equipment with finds...no longer spending my cash.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I keep all of my rings but cash the clad in a few times every summer at a coinstar for amazon gift cards. Usually buy stuff for my kayak or fishing (other hobbies).

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sell the gold rings and jewelry, silver coins, and cash in the clad.

The best thing I ever bought with finds money was a vacation to the Florida Keys. :skullflag:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
im a seller,dont collect much.other than all of my equipment the money goes for detecting trips,usually two per year.a couple times I sold off some jewelery to pay bills in a pinch but really hate doing that.Our detecting trips have worked out fairly well too and one trip was 1/2 paid for by a single find..I sure do love this hobby !!!!

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used the clad to buy a couple pair of grey ghost head phones and a Stealth 720i scoop with the carbo fiber travel handle, great investment with found $$

OP
OP
O

Orbit

May 12, 2015
Erie County, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAX 500
Garrett GTAX 550
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Me too. This hobby is the best!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do collect, so my clad finds have paid for a couple of 2 cent pieces and several Morgan and Peace dollars. Trying to save enough to finish my wheats.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not sold any of my finds yet. I deposit the clad I dig each season into a bank account I set up for this hobby. My 1st detector paid for itself in 60 days and then I sold it and bought a used F4. It paid for itself in about 4 months. I then sold it and bought a used F75 LTD SE. My clad has also bought multiple coils, paid for the DST upgrade. This hobby has funded itself with very little start up money. For Christmas I get enough batteries to last a season for both the detector and pin pointer. The wife knows that detecting is my passion and I received a larg coil from her last year for my birthday in 2015 and in December she got me a USB microscope, calipers, and a Garrett Carrot.

I also bought coin folders and other coin collecting supplies with some detecting money. The only coins I collect are the ones I dig.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything I find is for sale-------------------------I do, however, collect pictures of Ben Franklin issued by the Gubmint.:occasion14:
Marvin

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I tend to keep my stuff- what the wife and kids don't swipe anyhow.

I've had my gold melted down into other things, which I end up keeping, minus the jewelers share for the melt and making.

I have a small bag of leftover diamonds. I'll probably not sell them, as I'll never get what they are really worth.

Most of my stuff is in a display case, or box, or peanut butter jar, a tupperwear container, or in a drawer or in a...

Wait- I think I'm a hoarder.

*oh crap*

I'll go seek help now.............

(right after I get back from the beach)

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only ever sold one ring, my WW1 infantry ring, to a soldier who begged me to sell it to him. I should have given it to him, as a Thankyou for his service... Oh, also sold a brass hose bib to a lady for 5 bucks, that was random.
I keep everything else, because hoarders have to start somewhere, right? My clad, that gets wrapped and deposited in the bank at the end of the year, at which point I buy silver bullion, rounds, Eagles, whatever
I can get at the best prices...

Oh yea, FWIW...my clad? I have to again say, I don't overthink it. I don't tumble the coins to make them pretty, they get rolled, sometimes I have to hammer mowed coins flat, but aside from that, crh'ers beware!:laughing7:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread