MD in Mexico

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be travelling to Akumal Mexico in a few weeks. What is the best way to get my AT Pro safely through customs and into Mexico? Should i break it down and put in my cary on or have it shipped to the resort?
Want to do some beach hunting near the resorts and public beaches in the area.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
what method are you using to get there ? Driving by car ? Flying down ? Cruise ship ? Etc.....

When I went to Mexico before (driving through the El Paso/Juarez border), we just had them in plain view in the vehicles we were in. They even asked us "what are those?". My interpreter said "detector de metal for pasatiempo" [metal detector for hobby]. They just shrugged their shoulders and waved us through.

OP
OP
Jamie1993

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and i are flying into Cancun. I'm worried about going through security with it in my carry on.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
My wife and i are flying into Cancun. I'm worried about going through security with it in my carry on.

Detectors aren't illegal in Mexico, so I can't imagine why it would be a problem with carrying on in your luggage. I mean, no-more-so than any other type electronics (your computer tablet, etc....). As long as you take the batteries out and collapse it down.

But I'm sure someone else who's flown into Mexico can comment more.

OP
OP
Jamie1993

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank for the insight. I'll break it down as small as possible. I'll put a small tool pouch in my other luggage. We never had too much problem going through customs before, we were questioned about my wife's nebulizer once, just told them it was for breathing after about 10 minutes of trying to explain what it was.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I would take the smallest & cheapest detector that would still target gold & silver. There is a nice cove in Akumal what is shallow water, where a lot of children & parents play. So, only the coil needs to be waterproof. Nice beach right there, too. DIG IT ALL !

OP
OP
Jamie1993

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, CaptEsteban. I've been to Akumal to snorkle before, it is a very beautiful place to go. I have a coinmaster, that is in storeage I might pull that out and use it. The resort we're staying at has two beaches. I know of a wedding ring being lost theree a couple of years back. I know it's probably not there any more but it might be worth a shot. I wanted to take my AT so I could go in deeper water where evey one swims at the resort. There is also an abandoned resort next to our resort. It has a trough in the sand near the shore line. Hope it holds some nice objects.

OP
OP
Jamie1993

Jamie1993

Feb 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks CaptEsteban, After concidering the options for when i get there I decided to take the old coinmaster out of storage and play in shallow water and along the beach. Don't want to lose the AT Pro if something happens. I figured I would hit the beaches around sun up so as not to disturb any one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread