What's your first metal detector and you thing it's good

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I started with an ACE350. After just a few months I feel like I mastered finding Clad anywhere.
Great Machine.
I Hate to sell it. It's on Ebay but not getting any bids, even for $225.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine was a Teknetics Delta 4000. It was a great beginner machine. Didn't cost a fortune and is a very capable detector. I found some great stuff with it. I didn't want to spend a lot until I new my new addiction would stick and I could develop my style and upgrade to fit that. I still have it for a backup and loaner.

HH RN

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
whites 66TR. "feel good about it" ? In those days, you had no choice !

heymirth

Aug 19, 2015
Just North of Detroit
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's only been used for 6 months and is in near mint condition
I keep seeing ace250's selling for $175-250--- so I thought $200 is a good price, But. I understand what ur saying
I'll try Craiglist

DirtLurker

Greenie
Jun 19, 2016
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Sovereign XS2 pro, White's PRL-1 and Classic III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got lucky and nabbed a whites classic III at a pawnshop for cheap. Great machine! Beep and dig. Good discrim. No complaints with pinpointing... It took a day or 2 getting the hang of it and about a month to get proficient.

GL with your new machine and HH:)

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have had many,anyone will find the same thing

allison86

Jul 12, 2015
kent wa
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter/ garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first one was a bounty hunter lone star. And it wasn't bad. But I love my garrett at pro more lol

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A $50.00 radio shack kids detector. Found a lot of cool things.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first was a Garrett Scorpion...a ridiculous machine to learn on. But learning on that showed me that all other detectors are a breeze to setup and use. Especially digital ones.

jonhjothurs

Feb 4, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys can you tell me what metal detector best to used in my area..i have a lot of treasure sign I think it is JIA during WW11.im from phil.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started with an ACE 250. It was laying around for a while and seemed so basic after getting other machines. I sold it to a farm wife for a hundred bucks. Sometimes I almost wish that I had one again for it's light weight simplicity. These days I can fun great pleasure in the hobby without having the newest, deepest, "best" machine du jour.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1970, Beep and Dig, mail order machine.
Best machine I ever had because it introduced me to the world of treasure hunting.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My 1st detector was bought off ebay back in 2010. I did not know how to use it so it sat in the shed for 4 years. I found Tnet in the winter of 2013 and learned how to set up the detector and began my journey as a coin shooter in May 2014. The "El Cheapo" Treasure Cove 1023 had a meter that pegged on every signal and is only there as eye candy. It did have 3 tones and was a great little detector to learn the craft. I learned how to ID depth by slowing raising the coil as I swung over the target. In 60 days I became pretty proficient with it, but wanted more depth than the 8" concentric could provide. I used it to teach my brother in law how to detect and sold it to him for 1/2 price. He now swings a Whites MX5 and is keeping the TC1023 around so that when or if any of his grandsons want to join him detecting, he has one for them to use.

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first was a radio shack discovery 2000. My father in law got it at a yard sale for $5. Cracked shaft and broken battery connector but I fixed it up. Got my first large cent (1900 Canadian) and first silver with it and that got me hooked. Not too long after I got a fisher f2 which treated me great as well. I still have them both plus my brand new one! [emoji2]

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my first"modern"vlf machine was a garrett gtax 1250(never seem to hear anything about them).was top of the line in the 90's but doesn't hold a candle to the current machines I have.was a tank and even heavier with the sunray probe attached.ate batteries like fritos.8 at a time.Hated black sand...but...that trusty ol thing found a ton of keepers and I still have it as a wall hanger.
My wifes first was an f2 with a dd....it out performed that $800.00 gtax...the current stuff is just better.

pjduff

Mar 3, 2012
Madison, IN
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-x, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first was a Fishers 1266-X, bought in 1991 I think. My brother and I went halves on it to pay for it then a few years later, I paid him for his half of it. I still used it until 2012 when I bought an Ace 350, then I upgraded to an AT-Pro in 2015.

Jluv

Jun 29, 2016
Fort Carson, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 101 Bounty Hunter, Whites TDI Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first was a Whites TDI Pro

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread