How many Folks actually use a pinpointer ???

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Always have two on my detecting belt (Garrett Carrot and Pro Pointer II). The reason is two fold for there use: protection of recovered item and time in the hole. If you are spending more than 60-90 seconds extracting your find, that's to long. The device saves time in the recovery process giving you more time to hunt! A must have in modern detecting.

gigispop7

Mar 22, 2009
Oklahoma city,Ok
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett AT gold, Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beats a screwdriver any day . the second best tool bought for metal detecting.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I've had two cheap pinpointers (Harbor Freight and a bounty hunter). You really CAN do without those. The Pro Pointers, though? I wouldn't even bother hunting, now, without one. I have two of the old pro-pointers in for warranty refurb, and two of the new Pro Pointer AT's (my son and I both have one each). They are freaking FANTASTIC.

Take all the guess work out of finding things. After I get a quick signal from the main rig, a kneel down, pinpoint and dig and retrieval takes less than 10-15 seconds, sometimes less. Turn that 15 second into a minute or more without the pinpointer and guess what? You're digging wayyyyy less than half the stuff someone with a pinpointer is, especially if the targets are high volume.

And if you're digging less than half the targets in the same amount of time. It's like having TWO hunts, instead of one, or in a target rich environment, 3 or even 4 times... It comes down to hours for me. I have a fixed number of hours to be alive in this world. I'd like to get the most out of them, thankyouverymuch.

Ain't nothing like a good pinpointer!

Bingo! Factor in the added feature of getting up quicker when it's "Texas hot" and pinpointers just make way too much sense. Besides, grabbing dirt is just asking for a stab from that camaflauged needle. I never handle dirt with my hands 90% of my digs once I got a good pinpointer.

Curious thought. If these 100 dollar pointers were priced at what the Harbor Freight Centec pointers are priced at, how many of these dedicated "I've hunted for years without one",,,would use one? Cost seems to steer tectors away, or cause them to buy a cheap paperweight or two before getting their first GOOD pinpointer.

When you hear it said, "I wouldn't hunt without a pinpointer", that's the gospel with me. Best $127 I've invested after starting.

1afox

Jun 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunted for 30 years without one. Ordered a Nokta Fors Core and it came with a free Nokta pointer. Tried it out and its the best thing since sliced bread. Really saves on digging time especially in the woods. It allows you to open a smaller hole when roots are involved.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is obvious to me that I don't hunt for the same reasons as some of you. I started detecting in the early '70's and have never used a pin pointer. To me it's just something else to keep track of.
I'm not on anyone's time clock so it doesn't matter to me if it takes 30 seconds or three minutes to harvest my treasure. I'm in this game for exercise, fresh air, and fun and am not interested in publishing finds or how many. I like TNet because I can learn from you Guys about detectors, sounds/tones, meters, etc, and not technique.:occasion14:

Marvin
PS, I do, however, respect how others use their equipment as long as they fill their holes.:icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like many others here have indicated...maximizing the efficiency of time spent going from "ah ha", to getting the target between my fat little fingers , just really helps boost the enjoyment level for me. Also, one hour less on my knees in the dirt means one hour more swinging, or berry picking , or tree ogling, bird watching or any combination of those things. :)

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Funny this question came up, just a few days ago I met a older than me fellow hunting the same ball field I was in. He asked me if I had found anything and I pulled out about $5.00 in loose change and a ring, he said wow, I never find that much here. I asked if he comes here much and he said yes. He had an older detector and a brass prob. I showed him my detector and my TRX pin pointer. He said those pin pointers are more trouble than they are worth! I said i don't hunt without it and the one I had before this was also a White's but I like this one better. How about I let you use it for a bit and see what you think? He said has one from Harbor Freight at home and it really didn't help him. Oh well, everyone has their own idea on what works and what doesn't, for me it is 100% of the time I use and carry my pin pointer when detecting.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been digging for 48 years now and I've NEVER used one. I'm wondering how much help they really are. I may get one as my age is catching up to me. I await. PEACE:RONB

I'm not going to read through all the replies Barker, that's your job! :thumbsup: But here is my experience. Starting my metal detecting life as a gold nugget hunter back in the 1970s, I never used a pinpointer. I used the plastic scoop, or "handful of dirt" in front of the coil method. When I started coin and jewelry shooting, I always used my C & G, or Tesoro machines which pinpoint like champs, so I never felt I needed one. In 2012, I bought one. It slows me down as a rule, but there have been a couple of dozen times I have pulled it out and used it over the last few years to find sidewall targets or deep targets I misjudged.

Unless you have $120.00 you can afford to gamble, or throw in a garbage can, I wouldn't buy one. It's a toy, a luxury. Kneepads, gloves, good digger and a good finds bag you really need, but not a pinpointer. :skullflag:

OP
OP
B

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; Thanks for all the advice. I guess I'm set in my ways like Terry BUUUT I'm open to try new things "IF" it will improve my digging and finds. My digging partner Rob has one and does always out do me in the quantity dept. That's what caught my interest. SOOOO I think I may give it a whirl. I'll start with the Garrett Pro Pointer AT ok. It seems to be the one your ALL talking about as the best. I'll post my results and let you know what I think ok. Me, I'm not afraid to get down and VERY dirty either. The end of a hnt I can look like something I dug up literally. I REALLY get into it. And I've ALWAYS filled EVERY hole I've ever dug. Regardless of where it may be. In the woods, a park, the beach or a construction site. To me that is a Gospel RULE. Stay tuned folks. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a long handle shovel, makes a small narrow hole( half of a post hole shovel) can go very deep without bending down. All of the machines I've owned have pinpoint accuracy . I bend down and scan the soil only after I have moved it . Pinpointers are nothing but Luxuries just like coil covers are!

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own the garrett carrot lol. I mainly hunt parks and I dont want to dig massive plugs. 99% of the time all i need is the pinpointer because the item is at less than 3 inches deep. I then take a craftsman 3/8" screwdriver that is 8" long to leverage the item up. This has also helped my find time to increase dramatically. I consider the pinpointer to be more than an accessory or luxury. I think of it more as a secretary to the metal detector. It aids and supports the metal detector.

The process I go through is find a repeatable signal with MD, set garrett carrot to full sensitivity, find target, gradually lower sensitivity to lowest setting to figure how deep target is, pierce ground with screwdriver inch from target going at 45 degree angle, pry handle end upward toward sky creating flap, and reach in to grab target. Great for not hurting grass!!!

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Folks; Thanks for all the advice. I guess I'm set in my ways like Terry BUUUT I'm open to try new things "IF" it will improve my digging and finds. My digging partner Rob has one and does always out do me in the quantity dept. That's what caught my interest. SOOOO I think I may give it a whirl. I'll start with the Garrett Pro Pointer AT ok. It seems to be the one your ALL talking about as the best. I'll post my results and let you know what I think ok. Me, I'm not afraid to get down and VERY dirty either. The end of a hnt I can look like something I dug up literally. I REALLY get into it. And I've ALWAYS filled EVERY hole I've ever dug. Regardless of where it may be. In the woods, a park, the beach or a construction site. To me that is a Gospel RULE. Stay tuned folks. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Best of Luck out there with the new Pro Pointer AT Barker! You'll love it. I used mine the other day to instantly locate studs in the wall!

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd seriously go hunting without my digger before i go without a Propointer.

~Tejaas~

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ron- I think once you get used to having a pinpointer you will not want to be without it. Makes the recovery a bit quicker and easier. :)

It's good to hear you are getting out and detecting again!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It makes like easier and lets you know you have the target in your hand with a fist full of dirt.You can relax and recover your target instead of the constant sweeping of your hand over the coil and having to pick your detector up mid shaft while on the ground and sweeping the hole.
You will not regret having one that is for sure. Same way with a good set of commercial knee pads saves the knees.

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have two Whites Bullseye pinpointers. I usually dig first with an US Army folding e-tool shovel. The shovel can be an awesome self defense weapon too. If the target isn't in the plug, I check the hole. If in the hole, I excavate using a green plastic garden trowel from Lowes. I use the pinpointer in the hole. If I scratched a Tarryall Dollar or a $20 gold piece, I would probably go insane.

Dr. Parsons $5 Colorado Territory Gold | Collectors Weekly

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After getting permission for someones' lawn, I wouldn't even dig without a pinpointer....I would go home and come back another time.

Dont care to hear crap about get better in your pinpointing abilities.....it's good. If anyone out there has not had two objects close together, but far apart enough to throw off your pinpoint.....well then you haven't been MD'in long enough. You WILL dig a smaller neater hole with a pinpointer. You WILL get the object out of the plug faster.

You say it takes longer...I say having to grab my detector and figure out if its in the hole or plug takes longer and more energy.

You say it costs $X.XX amount of money.....true, but most hobbies do cost money. But don't say that it's not worth it just because it costs money. To me, they are money in the bank!

OP
OP
B

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; lockster99, I agree with the better and cleaner the hole dug the better. I've dug on some of the best lawns in the State and never left a trace though. I dare anyone to find one of my holes after I'm done hunting. BUUUTTTT I am open to using anything that will take some of the stress off of my spine and increase my quantity. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks to get the best first time out of the gate either. I hate the trial and error routine. To me THAT is a waste of time, money and effort and possibly destroying a good find as well. Thanks. I await. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tried many of them and for my money....so far, I really like the Garrett Pro-Pointer AT. I can rinse it off under the faucet and not worry about also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread