using my bird dog to scent coins

maxxkatt

Jul 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys, I have researched this idea and found some funny replies. But also some of the research indicates these facts:

a. in Sweden or Norway they use scent trained German shepherds to find metal ore sometime even 12 meters below ground.
A nose for new mineral deposits: the ore-sniffing dogs transforming mine location - Mining Technology

b. dogs can be scent trained easily. they are typically either play motivated or food motivated. Mine is a food hound.
c. metalic coins have a distinct scent.

I sold my metal detector last year because of no time. but i walk my Brittany about 40 minutes every day in a popular park. my detectorist buddy found a barber dime in the middle of the soccer field on the surface. Not sure how that happened.

So starting tomorrow I am going to start my dog on scent training on coins. I am thinking he should be effective on surface coins in the grass and weedy area. Buried coins? I will just have to test him on that. My park has a fair amount of clad coins and some buried 40's and 50's coins that I have recovered in the past.

This should be a fun project but I have no idea on what to expect. I have not really found anything on Google about using dogs to locate coins. A mason jar full of silver would be a nice find. I will update this post on my results or lack of results.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Your dog being reward motivated helps.
Scenting conditions vary so take that into account.
During an approaching low for example, even we can smell the earth.
Patience and repetition....and realising some conditions null,or reduce abilities.
Keep it fun and good luck.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"a. in Sweden or Norway they use scent trained German shepherds to find metal ore sometime even 12 meters below ground."

Ore is often associated with things like arsenic, sulfur, etc. It's what's "with" the ore that the dogs can smell. They can smell up to so many feet below ground due to cracks in the rock that allow for traces of the ore's odor to escape.

"c. metalic coins have a distinct scent."

They do?!?!? Pure metals are non-porous, which means odor has a difficult time holding on. If coins have an odor, I would guess it's recently-lost coins that still smell of the last person to handle the coin(s). ...What other research have you found on this part?

lesjcbs

Jul 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Pocket dowsing L- Rods shown above. Whites Beach Comber, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Whites TM 808, Canon 350D EOS Digital Rebel XT DSLR Camera.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How much would a dog that is trained to sniff out gold be worth?

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dropped a magnetic bit with a phillips bit in it today from a cordless drill. It landed in a HUGE pile of sawdust between my work island and my table saw. I let it go and got another so I could move on (after some choice words). My "Quality Control" black lab in a few minutes had dug it out and her woffers over and over "told" me she had found it. I got the message and picked it up. She's gonna get a Christmas bonus... Signed dog owner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread