Road blocked...nearly assaulted...had to get car quickly in reverse - ESCAPED!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if you got any type of cat or dog food around your porch ...count on the skunk family to visit regular like ...5 nannies to feed means momma needs lots of food... pet food can also draw raccoons , armadillo's , bob cats and other critters --- free food is free food...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I once had a run in with a "black panther" as a 7th grader living with my grandma in the town of cheifland , fla ( the watermelon growing capital of florida) --its as small hick town as they come -- one night something was raiding granny's chicken coop and the chickens were a hollering --so granny sent me out with my passed on gramppa's 22 rifle to sort things out (most likely she thought it was a raccoon)--- nope when I got there it was a fricking jet black panther --- I popped a couple rounds into the ground to scare it off ---thankfully it left with its chicken dinner (I figgered if I shot it .... it might get pissed off and charge me and I wasn';t sure that 22 would do the job fast enough to prevent me being mauled to death) --later on that night I heard it call --sounded like a woman having her throat slit -- bone chilling ... told granny you want me to check things out at night --from now on I 'm using the 30/30 from the closet or gramps 12 gauge pump with # 4 buckshot

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dealt with a rabid coyote about a year ago. He was coming up the trail at the range. He was walking all stiff legged with his back arched. I let him have it with 5 rounds of target loads full choke at 10 yards which was able to knock him down, but not out! At 30 rounds, he quit moving! Used the target board to put up warning signs.

It's nice to have a Saiga 12 shotgun with 20 round drum!

It's not nice to try using birdshot for home defense. It's for the birds! Use buckshot or slugs!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope someone cleaned up the area where he bled out.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yours must be the fun house on the block, where all the youngsters want to gather for the free food ...and fast game of chase!
All is well till they start using your free WiFi! :D

I've only seen one skunk early spring. I do have several ground hogs tho.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, a grown-up scared of baby skunks! Thanks for them laughs, lol! :laughing7:

Ivan, know Cheifland pretty well, almost ended up with 7 acres there, off the Ichetucknee, best we didn't, it's like my Ga land, on and sometimes UNDER the river..... :BangHead:
Can you say White? As in White construction, White Ford, White dairy, White Bank..... Mr. Luther passed, but I think 3 is still around and kicking...... yea fun times..... :laughing7:
Built a lot of roads, in the meantime...... :BangHead: You know he named his daughter Snow. :laughing7:

Keep us updated on the critter saga cat, and good luck, lol. :laughing7:

skunkkittys.jpg

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, nice kitty, kitty, kitty. Had a raccoon try to get into the chickens, so no baiting for pictures for awhile.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the family was waiting for daddy to come home to me

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dad was off lollygagging by himself. Haven't seen them in a week in a half now. On the other hand, the "baby wild" rabbit now comes over to the car sometimes when I get home. I got out of it Saturday, walk 30 feet away and it runs over and "flops" by the driver's door. I named it "Floppy". If it doesn't learn some fear soon, the hawks will get it. Animals seem to like me I guess. Had friends over yesterday. One went to leave and one of the hens followed her out to her car and tried to go too. My other friend went to "shoo" one hen back to the pen, but she just stood there with a "what's the matter with you stupid, just get over it and pick me up" attitude.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get to "play" with them all the time. It's my job. Unfortunately, all rabies vector species have to be euthanized once removed from the capture site. No relocation for skunks, coons or fox. Here's nine I caught one day a few years ago. Six in the colony trap, the other cages held one and two each.

P7030100.JPG

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I get to "play" with them all the time. It's my job. Unfortunately, all rabies vector species have to be euthanized once removed from the capture site. No relocation for skunks, coons or fox. Here's nine I caught one day a few years ago. Six in the colony trap, the other cages held one and two each.

View attachment 1339099

So how do you do this without the obvious problem...? And/or how do you deal with it...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a better question - How do you keep the skunks from spraying when handling the live traps?!?!? :dontknow:

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Limitool and kcm....VERY CAREFULLY.
For the most part, skunks are very calm animals. I'm sure bomb disposal techs say the same thing. Slow and steady, no sudden moves.
I come home smelling like skunk more times than I care to, but I handle 80-100 stinkers a year and only get hit 5-10x. Some years are worse than others.
It wouldn't be so often if I covered them up more. Some are just ornery, all are unpredictable.
I live in the woods, just out of sight of neighbors, so I strip outside when necessary, shower, and wash my clothes about a week later after Ma Nature airs them out.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Limitool and kcm....VERY CAREFULLY.
For the most part, skunks are very calm animals. I'm sure bomb disposal techs say the same thing. Slow and steady, no sudden moves.
I come home smelling like skunk more times than I care to, but I handle 80-100 stinkers a year and only get hit 5-10x. Some years are worse than others.
It wouldn't be so often if I covered them up more. Some are just ornery, all are unpredictable.
I live in the woods, just out of sight of neighbors, so I strip outside when necessary, shower, and wash my clothes about a week later after Ma Nature airs them out.

Well guy my hats off to ya... You got more nuggets than me when it comes to this endeavor. Only "hit 5-10x" p/year!!!! You had better earn at the least 10x more than I EVER made to do this job and I made close to $30.00/p/hr. when I retired years ago!!!!!!! Hell I live in the woods also with NOBODY around.... but if I lived in town the neighbors they had better get used to me stripping in the driveway a few times a year. Skunks may be "calm" animals but I'm NOT when their NOT...

My best to ya guy... :occasion14:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If you stripped down in my yard right about now, you'd end up looking like you had an all-over case of Prickly Rash! Bugged by Bugs - Copy.gif

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank goodness I won't need your services. Lots of bigger critters out here to eat the smaller ones. Been a long time since I saw skunks, too. Lots of opossums this year.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread