Road blocked...nearly assaulted...had to get car quickly in reverse - ESCAPED!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's like give me a break already. So I"m heading home from work and it's getting dusk. Now folks, I'm on my own street out in the woods. Passed a momma deer and her twin fawns, real cuties. Get 100 feet from my mailbox and what the heck is that at the mailbox? It's a writhing mass of black and white and not read all over.

It's the family of skunks who lives right around here. So momma and her, count them, 5 little ones tear off down my driveway toward the house. Great. Now how long is it going to take to get home? So I let them get ahead of me. Momma goes the 100 feet towards the house, I start nosing the big sedan in the driveway and lightbulb comes on! Kodak moment! Stopped the car, the babies were about 25' in front of the car, not knowing quite what to do. I step out of the car with the camera and talk to the babies. Momma is right up at the house now, way far away.

Rule #1: Do NOT talk to baby skunks. They're kind of stupid and think you want to be their BFF.

So while I'm telling them they are quite cute, etc. and trying to snap a blasted pic with the cell phone, the little buggers start bounding right towards me. And I do mean BOUNDING. They are hauling it! No tails up, it's like a litter of puppies wanting a snack or something. One had gotten under the car by the time I had it in reverse (I did get inside first), so I backed out the driveway and moved back 25 feet. Little buggers then continued to give chase. Oh, What fun! That big ugly thing in the red sedan is FRIENDLY and wants us to CHASE IT. So I back up 1/8 of a mile, and turned around in my neighbors driveway. I then went back to the area of the confrontation and the little guys are a little disoriented and in the middle of the street. (The cool thing they were chasing moves fast.) The moved off the street (whew!) didn't need a car hitting them, and momma was coming up the driveway looking for her brood.

I then backed the car up another 50' so momma would cross the road to get back to her family. She finally did, they went on their skunk way and I was able to get my mail and get in the house.

Rule #2: There is no rule #2. So the big brave, CRH'ing, MD'ing, boating, leaps tall couches with a single bound, sometime two, and cannot pass a speeding bullet for all the tea in China Smokeydacat gets chased by 5 baby skunks who just wanna be friends.

But they were SO cute and they wanted to come up and make friends. Isn't that SPECIAL!

Absolutely true, happened tonight. I got I fuzzy picture but will get the trail camera out tomorrow and see if I can get better pics cause they've been around a lot. And in the mail was a court summons for jury duty. Time to hide under the bed.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Those baby Skunks are cute and so are the older ones. The last couple of summers we have had in our yard baby skunks and there mom . I just set on my back deck and watch them walk around and eat what ever it is they are eating .. There are some days they come in our yard about 10 am and never leave until after 6 pm... I really like watching them they give me hours of entertainment at times.................................

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LMAO!!! Tears in my eyes I'm laughing so hard!! Great story!

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now then. You two should probably find if they are nested under a shed. They may be cute now...but...

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
:):)So cute until they are rabid.

Funny story.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i have lived in the country & woods all my life and as of yet never seen a rabid animal..

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Funny, funny story. Yeah, they tend to hang around. Family showed up under my deer blind one morning, stayed all day. Thought about shooting them, but they were too cool. Enjoy your experience and thanks for entertaining us...

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, they did eventually figure out something wasn't quite right and left. The babies just wanted to play. Oh joy. I whacked a rabid raccoon once. Fortunately skunks don't move as fast as the cat here!

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
Maybe 4 or 5 years ago I went to hunt my honey hole. Its a picnic woods used from 1890 until WW2. It is 4 acres with monster oak trees and unmanicured lawn. When i pulled in I saw 3 small skunks wondering around on the right side if the property. They were in the area I had intended to hunt. I watched for a few minutes and didn't see the momma, so i decided to get out and hunt the left side of the property. I had hunted this area pretty hard and really wanted to hunt where the skunks were as I have been working the property in sections. After hunting for a half hour or so and not getting any good targets, I thought I would slip over to the other side. I hadn't seen momma yet and was not afraid of the little ones because they were very small. I was kinda uncomfortable trying to watch the ground, the baby skunks, and watching for momma. But I was able to hunt. At one point I got to 15-20 ft from them when one noticed me and it came over. I decided to hunt my way back to the left side of the property. I did, but with one skunk in tow. The farther I went the farther it follwed me. At this point we are 100 yds from the other two. So i decided to lead it back to its siblings. It follows me back and as we get several ft from the others I turn and walk away. It follows me. I try this several times and it continues to follow me. Eventually it notices the others and joins them. So, I decided to go back to the left side and hunt some more. As I walk away and look back, what do I see? Yep, three little skunks following me. The lawn was kinda deep so they had trouble keeping up with me. So i just continued to hunt. But when i would stop to dig a target they would catch up and encircle me. This continued for another half hour until I gave up.I couldn't focus on hunting, watch for momma, and keep from stepping on them all at the same time. I had to jog back to the truck so i could lose them.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well i have lived in the country & woods all my life and as of yet never seen a rabid animal..

Now I really don't know if what I saw had rabies or not but.... While driving down my dirt road off this ridge I saw a racoon (1-2 in afternoon) going around and around in circles on the side of the road. I watched for about 2 minutes and drove past it. When I came back (15-20 minutes later) it was off the road and on the ridge slope still doing circles... weird. I probably should have just shot it.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other

You're lucky.

It's not always obvious they are infected, but strange, abnormal behavior is a good indicator. Seems unlikely the young were, just saying.

Here in the heart of farm country they are particularly unwanted. Rabies, distemper, hantavirus, encephalitus, etc....vectors for communicable disease. Risks to humans and domestic animals.

I have seen one agressive skunk (not normal) and two different Raccoons behaving very oddly before. All 3 I suspected were infected and kept kept my distance. But the skunk was determined to kill me in broad daylight. I think that qualifies as highly unusual. :dontknow:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Delightful story Smokey and I'm getting a visual of those precious babies wanting to play while Momma Skunk isn't around to tell them "no!"

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Limitool. that could be rabies or another nasty thing racoons get. It's a parasite that gets into their brains and causes them to whirl around, among other things. BTW never expose yourself to raccoon doodie as it can be passed to humans and is 100% fatal, you can get a set of shots to protect from rabies, but with that parasite, you're a gonner. Fortunately, I think there are only one or two cases a year in the entire US each year.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW the trail camera is out tonight, and i put out a smorgasboard of skunk yummies, blueberries, cut apple wedges, old rolls and a squash. Maybe I'll have some pics in the am.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Sneak up on the skunks while wearing a red fox hat, then surprise them with stomping and snorting.

This will define your territory, the skunks respect that.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're going to join me, right?

Almost as bad as my imagined lure to get a pic of the bobcat last fall. Which was tie a feather and a black shiny CD from a tree. Also tie a turkey leg a couple feet off the ground. Sprinkle bobcat urine around and then lie down and make injured baby bunny noises.

Didn't work out too well. Apparently the "bobcat" was a mountain lion. I could have been a tasty snack. I finally found a set of HUGE tracks! Nice kitty.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW the trail camera is out tonight, and i put out a smorgasboard of skunk yummies, blueberries, cut apple wedges, old rolls and a squash. Maybe I'll have some pics in the am.

Well now.... I'm absolutely sure that will run'em off for good. NOT! :laughing7: Put'em in with the chickens... That will be a Kodak moment!!!!!!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
In my 20's I adopted someone's descented adult pet skunk. I found out later that it's diet had consisted of bread with butter and sugar on it. That's it, period. I then tried to wean it off the bread and butter with other choices, such as canned cat food or other things. She would have no part of that and would stamp her feet, scream and snap like a spoiled three-year old. She would have nothing to do with any human males, but when my buddy brought his girlfriend over, that skunk would curl up in the girl's arms just like a kitten. Eventually I gave that skunk up to someone else.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sure you couldn't have one as a pet in most states. Wouldn't want one either. But having five babies bounding after me for attention like puppies was unbelievable. Got 1 skunk pic, 1 opossum pic and 1 raccoon pic but no baby skunks on film last night. I'll try again tonight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread