Advice for Etrac user?

ricosuave

Dec 8, 2015
Deerfield, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E- Track, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, I just upgraded to an Etrac from my ace 250. Have used it 3 times and found some modern coins and shotgun shells. Obviously this machine comes with a major learning curve (especially when transitioning from an ace 250). Was just wondering if anyone on tn had any advice to a newbie. I am beginning to get used to the many targets and have noticed that many times I find myself digging a silver target for it to be only silver. Are there any helpful videos out there? Am dedicated to learning this machine and know that it will take sometime for me to understand it and start finding old coins/silver. Thanks! :icon_thumright:

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Put a dime on the ground and go over it with the Etrac. You here that loud sound. Now put the detector in all metal and go through the park. Thousands of hits and none that sounded like that dime. If it don't sound like that dime keep moving. Coins at 14 inches deep will sound just as loud as the ones on top of the ground. Silver Dollars not as loud as a dime but ring up as 1/ 40 and i have a problem on pop caps and go from coin mode to all metal mode and the numbers are high like 25 or 35 so all the higher numbers are junk. I just save you months of learning on your own.
When you are in coin mode and not sure about the target push the button with a screen on it and you are in all metal mode and go back and press the detect button and you are back to coin mode.

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of the best videos are by DirtFishing on the Tube. He just shows screen, gives you a good audio of the target and shows what the target is after retrieval.
I would bury a quarter, dime, nickel, copper , beaver tail and a pulltab in that order at only 3-4" deep in a straight line and just practice listening and pinpointing these every few days in between hunting.

Last edited:

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a video i found that shows you how to block out iron. This is very good .

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Look for Bill's Trashy Park program. I use it exclusively and it has treated me quite well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions