Question on depth

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have all of these sites that are older but a lot of them don't produce. Most of them, if they give any signals, it's new clad. One site in particular has given up 5 silver coins and all of them were at 3 inches or less. I don't really find anything over 4 inches. Am I doing anything wrong? Theoretically shouldn't the good stuff be deeper? Or how do I recognize the deeper signals? I have a site that I know has produced gold coins in the past and several silvers and it's been pounded time and time again but shouldn't there still be more? Would these be deeper targets?

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
there are hunters who only cherry pick deeper signals,could have been worked over by those type hunters.secondly there may not be deeper signals there.I have hunted many a site that simply dont expierience the soil mechanics to work things down.Smoe sites will have modern clad at 6-8 inches,go figure.
I too swing an atp as my go to machine and if ground balanced 6" coin targets are easily detected if there.while an air test does not equate to actual field hunting it can be an indicator of general performance.
I hunt primarily in the mountains with high mineralisation...avg.gb is around 90 and once in a while I retrieve coins at 8" with the 5x8 coil.I hunt with a friend regularly who swings an etrac and an 8" coin is rare for him as well.

If they arent there they arent there.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SLOW DOWN; Keep your coil ON THE GROUND; GRID small 10' x 10' squares. :skullflag:

OP
OP
H

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found this on another forum. I wonder...

Tip for new AT Pro users - MORE DEPTH
I have been putting off making this post because I was going to take and attach some pictures to it.. just haven't found the time for pictures so I'll just post the tip without pics.

When you are swinging along and you get a really faint signal that doesn't repeat very well or won't give you an ID number, try turning your ground balance down manually, 5 or more numbers.

If you don't know how to do this, here ya go:

- Press and release the ground balance button
- Press the "NOTCH DISC -" and run your GB down 5 or more numbers
- Press the ground balance button again

Now scan back over your faint/iffy/non-repeating signal. Many times it will now be a solid repeating signal with an ID number.

I have been either manually subtracting 5 or 6 from my GB after automatically ground balancing at the start of my hunt and just leaving it that way for max depth, or doing auto GB and waiting for a faint signal and running it down just temporarily. With this trick I have picked up MANY more deep coins in places I've previously hunted. (Was going to include pics of the wheat pennies I've found my last two hunts... one is a 1917D... just didn't get around to setting up pics yet).

If any more experienced people want to chime in and let us know if there's a maximum number you should drop your GB or if there's any drawback to this technique, please chime in. I imagine if you drop the GB number too far it will probably make the machine start falsing and going nuts. I have not hit that point yet, but I haven't run it down more than about 10 numbers or so.

Happy hunting!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions