HOW IT ALL BEGAN - Whats YOUR story(s) that led you to being on Tnet today... ? ? ?

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red is going to respond soon!!

Me 1970 ish Saw a guy in A School yard using a Metal Detector!!! 30 ish years later Saw a Commercial on TV 7 years Ago I Said Iv Always wanted One Birthday after Red Bought Me My First Radio Shack model Sweet fun After that We now Have Four Detectors Not Including The 2 Pin pointers And Working On Getting Red The Ace 400 She Is Drooling Over Reds Story I Better You will Love It HH Chug

Part 2 What lead me to treasurenet This Find St barbara 14k.jpg Yep 14k with 6 rubies Was searching this when I found Treasurenet Joined within 20 minutes of Finding the Link And Had A Great Time Here Until It Was Sold It Slowed Down A Little But Is Still My Go To Web Sight Every Day. Sure Miss Cappys Story's And Auctions Chug

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was a lurker for years.studied the"what is it"forum to learn about id'ing my finds.I was the only detectorist on my mtn.for years.Then I taught a friend who had an mxt he never figured out so there were two of us.finally after over ten years my wife wanted to hunt too.Now there are 3 detectorists up here.

I joined to post a couple finds in the "what is it"forum...

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/343142-22-24k-little-pendant-coin.html

still wonder bout that lil bugger...still have it

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES !
A flogging is in order !

:P

Err maybe I should reword the original post ...
Amm...
Not just here... but in general.
What got you into... "how" did your life's "path" so to speak lead here.
?

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm... I guess a lot here don't want to "tell" their story.

heh.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ps... first detector I ever picked up was a fisher's...

Walked around the docks detecting everything from davits to the nails in the boards.
I was hooked.

keossvin

Mar 2, 2016
Oss
Detector(s) used
garret ace 250, garret ace 300I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
how I started the best hobby in the world :

I was bored in the summer vacation of 2015 and saw a man metal detecting in the river.
I asked some questions and what he'd found already.
He showed me a gold ring and a coin from 1778, I was absolutely amazed.
The next day I went on 'marktplaats' (the dutch ebay) and bought most crappy and most cheapest dectector I could find..
I went to search in a modern field in front of my house and got some junk and a 1981 5 cents coin.. at that moment I was hooked.
the next week I bought a garret ace 250 and began to uncover relics from ww2 and older.
about 15/20 small trips around my town later i decided to buy the garret ace 300I and in the first hunt I uncovered my oldest shoe buckle, oldest coin and oldest button.
2 Month's ago I got my first shoe buckle and wanted to know the date and that's how I discovered Tnet and god bless u guys are masters in ID'ing finds, thanks for everything !

sorry for my broken grammar and spelling.. english isn't my mother tongue.

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how I started the best hobby in the world :

I was bored in the summer vacation of 2015 and saw a man metal detecting in the river.
I asked some questions and what he'd found already.
He showed me a gold ring and a coin from 1778, I was absolutely amazed.
The next day I went on 'marktplaats' (the dutch ebay) and bought most crappy and most cheapest dectector I could find..
I went to search in a modern field in front of my house and got some junk and a 1981 5 cents coin.. at that moment I was hooked.
the next week I bought a garret ace 250 and began to uncover relics from ww2 and older.
about 15/20 small trips around my town later i decided to buy the garret ace 300I and in the first hunt I uncovered my oldest shoe buckle, oldest coin and oldest button.
2 Month's ago I got my first shoe buckle and wanted to know the date and that's how I discovered Tnet and god bless u guys are masters in ID'ing finds, thanks for everything !

sorry for my broken grammar and spelling.. english isn't my mother tongue.

Your English was just fine..
And thanks for the post. :)

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grew up in the country and our house was on a piece of land that had once been a dump and then buried under landfill. You could go out as us kids did often, dig a hole and pull up all sorts of interesting things, bottles, marbles and we were sure several times, gold. I loved those digs and discoveries, so my career plan as a kid was to grow up to be a archeologist, but becoming a mom at seventeen sort of took care of that plan.

In in the early 80's I started seeing treasure magazines at the magazine shop and bought my first detector, a Bounty Hunter. I don't think it could pick up anything more than an inch underground but I had fun with it. I didn't like being stared at though and eventually gave up the hobby because of that.

In 2004 I had a burglary of my house and lost pretty much every piece of jewelry I owned, including the few trinkets I had found with my old detector. It got me thinking about detecting again and I found Treasurenet and used it to help me decide in a new detector. I bought an XLT and my Tiger Shark that summer.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing Google research on a coin discovered in a roll of coins from the bank.........yep, CRHer too........
The discovery of this site was purely accidental. And what a discovery!! It amazed me that such a wide range of topics was being discussed by so many folks. I read posts from all the categories this site offered that interested me........coin collecting, error coins, CRH, dumpster diving, some geology and paleontology..........
I was always curious about metal detecting, but never had any direct or indirect exposure to the hobby. After reading many of the posts here, the detecting bug got to be more than I could stand..........bought my first detector and..........haven't done much CRHing since...........
Thank you, everyone!!

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some cool stories. :)

We hope for more.

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I simply got tired of the incessant sexual demands of movie starlets, so I picked up an ACE 250.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I simply got tired of the incessant sexual demands of movie starlets, so I picked up an ACE 250.

I can relate.... I'll be deep in these Tennessee woods MDing and out of nowhere women still find me. It's quite the problem!!! Must be a North American problem... stay safe buddy.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW... all this is currently being relayed to her while she is lounging watching History. heh

She says... shush and tell her your story !

And to say thank you :P

trouble is being 87 I have a lot of story to tell, perhaps I should have her email address for chapters..

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was 14 yrs.old summer time... riding in the back set of my mothers car, and saw a shop with Metal detectors out in front lined up like little solders...bad part of town even back then 1967.
Asked her to stop she said we did not have time for non sense,told her i`d ride my bike back....she forbid me to do that.
So the very next day she was at work... i went on my bike to the Tector shop 4 miles from my house.
With all the Whites Detectors lined up in side...the guy showed me all the cool stuff he had found and let me fondle all the detectors....but i was broke and when he found out i had no money (after an hour of wasting his time ) and through me and my buddy out.
I mowed lawns all that summer and helped with my friends with paper routes,walked dogs,shoved sidewalks and driveways,pop bottles.and my weekly allowance for 2 years ...any thing i could to make money...saved it like a miser.
Turned 16 and mom took my to buy a machine from to guy that tossed me out 2 summers before...he was the only game in town so i bought a whites BFO and was so happy and proud of what i had accomplished over the two years.
Mom was never for me buying a detector ...i got in the car happy holding my new treasure machine...man i was on top of the world.....mom turns and looks at me with a (you just wasted 2 years of work/money on junk) And says what do you think you will find ?? people don`t loose money all that much....and you will never get your money back !
Well in those the parks were loaded with Silver coins ....i had so much money my mom thought i might be stealing,second year had a gold 5 Dollar Indian.
I did not expect to find peace and solitude that i find ever time i swing my time machine !
"Ya i`m Crazy But it Keeps Me From Going Insane "
Gary

Last edited:

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I wanted a detector when I was younger. My father made fun of me. Said all I wanted to do was find money. Well he passed away in 91 and he had one my brothers gave me. I upgraded and then went to water hunting.

I came to Treasurenet because of a disagreement with the way I was treated on another forum. I had a lot of fun on it and kind of miss it. However, I know they are getting along fine without me.

I know most people don't hunt like I do. Maybe I am a bit overboard but I enjoy the peace and quite detecting gives me, especially underwater.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I can relate.... I'll be deep in these Tennessee woods MDing and out of nowhere women still find me. It's quite the problem!!! Must be a North American problem... stay safe buddy.

nwmp and limitool: I don't know where YOU guys are hunting, but out here in CA, I can't seem to find any sites like that. The places where beautiful women throw themselves at md'rs. I must be hunting the wrong places :(

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nwmp and limitool: I don't know where YOU guys are hunting, but out here in CA, I can't seem to find any sites like that. The places where beautiful women throw themselves at md'rs. I must be hunting the wrong places :(

Yea it's just a curse we have to live with. Why do ya think we don't post many finds? Now lets move on before I wake up.... :laughing7:

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
My first experience with detectors and buried treasure was back in 1978. I was in the cub scouts and read an article about some older scouts finding coins and jewelry on the beach using a metal detector in Boys Life magazine. A couple of years later my parents bought some land that had been continually occupied since the late 1800's that had several run down buildings, root cellars and junk all over it.
While playing in the dirt, I uncovered a 1925 standing liberty quarter which started my passion for finding old stuff. This was about the time "Raiders of the lost ark" came out and I knew I could be a happy amateur archeologist for a while digging there. While I did find lots of bottles and old junk, nothing valuable was turning up and I asked for a detector for Christmas.
Lucky me! I was given a cheap Radio Shack detector that year and have many fond memories digging up old farm tools, square nails and model T Ford parts that were scattered throughout the property. Sadly I lost my detector due to a house fire in '82 then life got in the way and I was away from the hobby for many years.
Sometime during the 90's, a friend rented a detector to try and find a water line and since I had a little experience had me help find it. That reignited my passion and a few years later I bought my own machine. Been through a few detectors since then, learned a lot and still hunt that property looking for more old coins.
Treasurenet came about while I was researching old properties to hunt online a couple of years ago. Really enjoy the camaraderie here and hope to have the pleasure of a banner find someday. Happy Hunting!

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may not remember how I found this place but I do remember my first experience as a treasure hunter. As a matter of fact, I posted my first experience on here not long ago.

"I started with a radio shack detector given to me for my 13th birthday. It was awesome! I found tin foil and gum wrappers and nails and nuts and bolts and even a penny sitting on top of the ground! I found my dad’s car sitting in the driveway and door knobs attached to doors still being used in the house and pocket change in pockets still waiting to be dropped for later retrieval. Yes, I found lots of treasures with that machine.
After a few weeks of hunting I put the machine away but, the bug had bit me and within a couple years I had a Garrett ADS."

I stayed with it until the mid 80s then dropped off the grid when I got married. I was drawn back into the hobby last year after my son picked up an AT Pro. I guess it’s in the blood.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions