HOW IT ALL BEGAN - Whats YOUR story(s) that led you to being on Tnet today... ? ? ?

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My story? Well I started metal detecting in February of 2016, coin roll hunting in October 2015, and coin collecting/antiquing A LONG TIME AGO... Which actually isn't very long as I'm only 23.

Back before I can even remember, I had a passion for treasure and history. Father had a metal detector before I was born and always told me it was a waste. My mother to settle my appetite, would give me a coin from her highschool travels every now and then. For example she gave me an Egyptian coin with the pyramids on it, a EF-40 IHP from 1901, and a Morgan dollar. She would even take me to antiques shops and thrift stores. Surprisingly, I kept everything and at the end of the year you all will get to see it set up in my new cabinets along with the finds.

Well I constantly wanted to treasure hunt. I would see episodes of reading rainbow, Arthur, and other tv shows use metal detectors. Curious George even built his own metal detector using tape, an a.m radio, and a calculator. Tried it. It does work for about 1 inch down. Around January, I expressed interest to my wife in getting a metal detector and she said I'm sorry we don't have the money. So you know what I did? I bought a single antique glass from a thrift shop and sold it to an antiques shop. I then bought something else and did the same thing. I kept doing this but then I went through a period of hardship. My parents disowned me. In February, I bought the ace 350 and joined to try and figure this difficult machine out and to have some sort of family. Well I kept flipping antiques until I bought my at pro because the ace just didn't do it for me. Since then, I rejoined my family (even though parents are divorcing and all this crap), found a new hobby family, and have picked up some cool finds along the way.

However, I am jealous of this new found "family" and how every flipping person is finding a gold coin or hordes of gold. Haha one day I am going to post a Mormon gold coin or something of the like when I find it. Just wait.

Happy hunting! Cheers:occasion14:

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From a young lad, I've always interested in treasure, especially pirate treasure - even buried a piggy bank somewhere near the foundation of my childhood home in Portland, OR (I'm sure it is still there...). Anyway, years later, when I got out of the military, I took my GI Bill money, went to college, to study Anthropology (I really wanted to be an Archaeologist), and it was there where I met my future wife - she was studying Forestry, so I changed my "major"...so I could follow her. :love4:
Thirty years later, I had a USFS career under my belt, with my last eight years working with the archaeologists full time - Ah, FINALLY, just what I wanted, I've come full circle. I later got a job with three different environmental firms that did archaeology work.
In 2007 I hooked up with a volunteer group, the Passport In Time (USFS) project on a emigrant trail through my area...and they were using METAL DETECTORS!
I always thought that this would be a great tool to find historic stuff, and now they were being accepted by the Feds!
I got one for myself, and my burning addiction to find old stuff (worsened?), where I then searched for others that have the same interests - thus, my Tnet association with you guys!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was 14 yrs.old summer time... riding in the back set of my mothers car, and saw a shop with Metal detectors out in front lined up like little solders...bad part of town even back then 1967.
Asked her to stop she said we did not have time for non sense,told her i`d ride my bike back....she forbid me to do that.
So the very next day she was at work... i went on my bike to the Tector shop 4 miles from my house.
With all the Whites Detectors lined up in side...the guy showed me all the cool stuff he had found and let me fondle all the detectors....but i was broke and when he found out i had no money (after an hour of wasting his time ) and through me and my buddy out.
I mowed lawns all that summer and helped with my friends with paper routes,walked dogs,shoved sidewalks and driveways,pop bottles.and my weekly allowance for 2 years ...any thing i could to make money...saved it like a miser.
Turned 16 and mom took my to buy a machine from to guy that tossed me out 2 summers before...he was the only game in town so i bought a whites BFO and was so happy and proud of what i had accomplished over the two years.
Mom was never for me buying a detector ...i got in the car happy holding my new treasure machine...man i was on top of the world.....mom turns and looks at me with a (you just wasted 2 years of work/money on junk) And says what do you think you will find ?? people don`t loose money all that much....and you will never get your money back !
Well in those the parks were loaded with Silver coins ....i had so much money my mom thought i might be stealing,second year had a gold 5 Dollar Indian.
I did not expect to find peace and solitude that i find ever time i swing my time machine !
"Ya i`m Crazy But it Keeps Me From Going Insane "
Gary

GREAT story, THANKS!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW...

This thread was my "better half" 's idea. :P

She is curious. :)

Good for her!
This thread aught to take off, with folks "spilling the beans" or opening up their hearts - whatever, this thread has been needed...!
THANKS!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Way back in 1960 - 63 (born in 55') I buried some coins in my front yard is S.W. MI. It was from money I got returning pop bottles and my allowance's. I couldn't have my twin sisters getting it now could I? I NEVER went back and got the money so it's probably still there in that small front yard. I put it in "something" but can't remember what...?

In the large maple tree out back about 10-12 ft. up I put a bunch of coins I had drilled out of the trunk with a power drill. The bit was about 3/4 - 1". I was probably 8-9 years old then. I was taught EARLY using power tools and such. Dad went to work, I got the electric drill out, ran about 50' of extension cords, climbed the tree and drilled a hold next to my tree "fort" at about a 45+ degree angle. That hole I drilled must have been 6" - 9+" deep. It was a wood boring bit with a long 1/4" shank. I was so proud when I finally buried the bit to the drill chuck. I then put everything up and went to my plan. I wanted a hold buried deep enough that when I put my dimes, pennies and nickles into nobody could reach them.

I thought when I filled the hole close to the top I'd just use a magnet and retrieve my loot (my secret)...:laughing7: So I put a "bunch" of money into the hole until I could barely see it in daylight. So, one day I went and got my magnet that my dad had given me and attached a string (had it all planned out).

I dropped it into the hole and NOTHING HAPPENED... NOTHING. I couldn't get one coin back (bad magnet???). No way...! So I tried the magnet on some un-hidden loot. Damn... the light came on that coins weren't magnetic then!!! I JUST KNEW THEY WERE!!!!!!!

So in an OLD maple tree in Constantine MI. in my old back yard are some coins within the trunk and some in the front yard.... I advise to stick to the front yard.... Brad

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll need an address

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll need an address

Listen guy.... I got the address but it's not gonna be something to retire upon... please rest assured. The house has been sold at least once since 96' and I'm sure my old hidden stash has been been discovered but I really need to find out.... right...? Now, if some lumber guy wanted that tree I'm sure he saw sparks if he was paying attention...? :laughing7:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol I bet the tree is scarred over, actually the whole place is probably a KFC now

jjack9977

May 1, 2015
Middleburgh, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex, Nokta Makro PulseDive, Whites Bullseye TRX, Teknetics Tek-Point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always been a fan and collector of electronics and a fan of mystery/adventure. It was only a matter of time before those two worlds came together. I had always wanted a metal detector but never got around to getting one. Then a few years ago The Curse of Oak Island started and it captured my imagination. My buddy Tommy and I would watch the show and text about it from a couple towns over. He was the first to get a detector...a Bounty Hunter Tracker II. I traded a generator for a Minelab X-terra 70 and we were off. I now use a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro (I like it better than the 70), a White's Bullseye II, a high end retail version of Google Earth Pro, a drone, an r/c submarine w/cam, an endoscope, and a wide assortment of digging tools all for researching and processing land around me. Half the fun is in research and prep. I've never had so
Much fun. I would like to see more advancement in metal detectors though. I feel like a lot more progress should have been made as in the case of personal computing and cell phones. Fisher has promised a "smart detector" in the near future as I understand it. That intrigues me.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never stood a chance, my Grandpa would hide coins under rocks for me saying the elves left them. My other Grandparents owned an antique store. My parents would take me to old dumps. They planted a broken arrowhead on a hill for me to find and I showed them a whole one. I still have the bottle that hooked me on treasure. I was 7 or 8 and I would go back behind the house to dig bottles. Out rolled a Larkin perfume with the stopper, it is still stuck. I remember that day like yesterday! I didn't get my detector till about 2002. My dad had junky ones. Once I got wind that they could actually work there was no stopping. I posted on TN back when I first had my detector. I had some wonderful advise from a few members that are still on here. My wife and I knew right then this site would consume me, so I stayed away until joining a year and a half ago. My wife is right I spend to much time on here but I love it. It amazes me what you can find, you never know. HH

Last edited:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never stood a chance, my Grandpa would hide coins under rocks for me saying the elves left them. My other Grandparents owned an antique store. My parents would take me to old dumps. They planted a broken arrowhead on a hill for me to find and I showed them a whole one. I still have the bottle that hooked me on treasure. I was 7 or 8 and I would go back behind the house to dig bottles. Out rolled a Larkin perfume with the stopper, it is still stuck. I remember that day like yesterday! I didn't get my detector till about 2002. My dad had junky ones. Once I got wind that they could actually work there was no stopping. I posted on TN back when I first had my detector. I had some wonderful advise from a few members that are still on here. My wife and I knew right then this site would consume me, so I stayed away until joining a year and a half ago. My wife is right I spend to much time on here but I love it. It amazes me what you can find, you never know. HH

The thrill of Finding, is the thing, right? :thumbsup:
The Wonder of the item in your hand - WHO dropped it?
What was the Year it was lost/discarded...?
Was there some Purpose or use the item had?
Was it a PERSONAL item like a watch or pocket knife...or photo locket necklace...?!
The People factor is the Subject, the item Tells the story....!
Sounds like finding Old Stuff, is in your Blood, right?!
Don't worry, Everyone on Tnet can contribute, assist and learn - I'm Happy You Are on This Forum!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... I buried some coins in my front yard is S.W. MI. It was from money I got returning pop bottles and my allowance's....

Brad, funny story. Well written. And while it may not be worth anyone's while NOW to track that yard and tree down, yet ..... 100 yrs from now worthwhile ? Especially since, go figure: by then the telephone game of the "famous Brad treasure" will have exaggerated it to gold bars, $1,000,000, etc..... And there'll be a special sub-forum on the future version on T'net's "Treasure Legends" for those who believe in, and hunt for the "Brad Treasure".

And if anyone ever finds this original post of yours, that says it was mere pocket change, then that too will be explained away: That was merely someone's hacking the internet, and changing it to just SEEM like you only buried small change. In a clever attempt to dissuade others from seeking the treasure.

In fact, I'll be the first to start the legend: Even now, it was actually gold bars. But in an attempt to keep anyone here from finding your fortune, you are merely claiming it to be small change. No need to admit it, or dodge it. We're on to your tricks ! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
ARC

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stories should always "evolve"... :)

Like...

I caught this fish once...

It was THIS BIG ! ! ! <---------------------------->... <--------------------------------------------------->... <--------------------------------------------------------------------->

:P

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad, funny story. Well written. And while it may not be worth anyone's while NOW to track that yard and tree down, yet ..... 100 yrs from now worthwhile ? Especially since, go figure: by then the telephone game of the "famous Brad treasure" will have exaggerated it to gold bars, $1,000,000, etc..... And there'll be a special sub-forum on the future version on T'net's "Treasure Legends" for those who believe in, and hunt for the "Brad Treasure".

And if anyone ever finds this original post of yours, that says it was mere pocket change, then that too will be explained away: That was merely someone's hacking the internet, and changing it to just SEEM like you only buried small change. In a clever attempt to dissuade others from seeking the treasure.

In fact, I'll be the first to start the legend: Even now, it was actually gold bars. But in an attempt to keep anyone here from finding your fortune, you are merely claiming it to be small change. No need to admit it, or dodge it. We're on to your tricks ! :icon_thumleft:

Damn Tom your ruining everything!!!!! You saw straight through the story (smart man). Yes it's true... I did bury gold bars around the age of 8 in the front yard. And yes the small change verbiage (60-90 cents) was just a diversion. Somebody had better hurry... because I'm thinking of going back in the dead of night and dig all 21 bars up now.

But I got to finish remodeling this master bath first... Does that tell ya anything???? :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions