Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I think what most would do is make their usual finds post on the today's finds forum, but then just post the stuff that fits for here... like a specialty forum.

It seems like that's what this is turning into. In Bill's first comment he said it best by saying we "wade" through tons of posts just to find colonial posts. In that case we should start a "North American Colonial" and under the description United States through C. 1800, Canada C. 1860(?).

I also see what many others want, to varying degrees, which are finds past the colonial era (i.e. Antebellum Period) that includes Colonial. Although less specific, such a forum would significantly restrict the posts to the "old stuff" we all love.

It seems we all agree that a new forum needs to be established, but do we want two separate ones (Colonial and Antebellum) or can we all live with one?

Personally most of my finds are mid-17th Century through the mid-19th century, and most of my hunts would contain items from both categories should there be two. It would be a P.I.T.A if I had to split up those finds into two places. If I had to choose between two separate forums or one "combined" forum, I would choose the latter.

Last edited:

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
I was talking to another member about this new forum idea and I realized something that I wanted to put out there and see what people think.

As you guys probably know, my typical detecting and sifting hunts turn up a variety of artifacts dating from the Colonial period, up through the early to mid Antebellum period. I like to put all my stuff from a hunt together for a post. I might find some tombacs, pewters, bone handles, KG, shoe buckle frame pieces... and then a LC, brass flat buttons, or CW Button... or even an early 1800's Spanish Silver (rarely. haha)

Would we allow a group variety like that to go in this new forum section? In other words, would the requirement be that the majority of the finds fall into the category of "North American Colonial" for the post to be valid? It would stink to have to split my hunt up into two posts, but at the same time we wouldn't want a post in the new Colonial section to be just CW buttons and a couple Large Cents... since that isn't Colonial at all.

Thoughts?

It would be great to be able to limit the post and finds to pre-1800's for this new forum but that would eliminate a lot of what members are calling "colonial". There are just not that many diggers that consistently post true colonial period finds. I think that being open to early antebellum period finds would allow for a lot more post activity.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be great to be able to limit the post and finds to pre-1800's for this new forum but that would eliminate a lot of what members are calling "colonial". There are just not that many diggers that consistently post true colonial period finds. I think that being open to early antebellum period finds would allow for a lot more post activity.

Exactly. There is very few who post on this forum who have the luxury of consistently being able to hunt true Colonial period sites. I have many finds that date to the 1600s, two coins from the 1500s, but have never hunted a 1600s site. Instead of saying 1800 is the cut off, say "turn of the century era" and let people interpret that how they see fit. Make it too strict and you might as well be creating a group and not a sub forum.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. There is very few who post on this forum who have the luxury of consistently being able to hunt true Colonial period sites. I have many finds that date to the 1600s, two coins from the 1500s, but have never hunted a 1600s site. Instead of saying 1800 is the cut off, say "turn of the century era" and let people interpret that how they see fit. Make it too strict and you might as well be creating a group and not a sub forum.

I feel pretty confident that people will understand what we are looking for in this forum. There's so many great early 1800s coins and relics. I can list a ton of them. If it's early or if it's killer and you're not sure post it up. Nobody's going to get attacked for posting a great early find that they're not sure about. The thing I'm most excited about is just to reignite some passion and to gain more knowledge from the Bill Dancys and IPs etc. we are blessed to have some very knowledgeable people on here regarding the early finds. I want them to have a designated place to share finds and also knowledge.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel pretty confident that people will understand what we are looking for in this forum. There's so many great early 1800s coins and relics. I can list a ton of them. If it's early or if it's killer and you're not sure post it up. Nobody's going to get attacked for posting a great early find that they're not sure about. The thing I'm most excited about is just to reignite some passion and to gain more knowledge from the Bill Dancys and IPs etc. we are blessed to have some very knowledgeable people on here regarding the early finds. I want them to have a designated place to share finds and also knowledge.

Wait until you see how many Canadian large cents I have to post. ;)

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I may...to the Moderators....

All y'all can't go rocking a new forum focused on Colonial finds....

Without also starting a forum for modern clad finds....

Ok, I'll shut up.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I am thinking that We here choose to Create 2 Forums. One pre 1800 and one 1801 - 1860. Many of us myself included make many finds per hunt that fall into both periods. I would just like to see this simplified. I like Bill(VA)s suggestion the best. Yes it would be a bit of a pain but I think the "NEED" is for a Specialty Forum for each category. I originally suggested a simple date of 1820 but I'm open. I await. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't like the idea of 2 new forums with specific dates, because it doesn't addresses the issue that caused this whole subject to come up.

A forum, without people posting in it, is just an empty space on the internet. We need to make it a place that we want to go and hang out, post, share and learn. The issue with creating two very specific dated forums with strict rules with exact dates, will pigeon hole people and no one will post there. Compare the "Fur Trade" forum to the "North American Indian Artifacts" forum. The Fur Trade forum has 378 threads and the Indian Artifact forum has 17,995 threads. Its pretty obvious that we have people on here that are passionate about Indian Artifacts and visit tnet just for that reason. The Fur Trade forum has specific dates of 1660-1840 and never once, when I dug a single item that falls in that category, did I say to myself "YES... I finally dug a Fur Trade era item". We could make as many forums as we wanted for as many specific era's in history, but they will stay empty if they don't appeal to a lot of people.

Like many people have expressed, I am frustrated with the things I am interested in sliding off page 1 of today's finds before I see them. Then they are lost to the 2,124+ pages of today's finds, never to be seen again unless a specific search turns one up. I think many of us would like an area where we could post and get a chance to see it before it gets lost. To make this new forum successful, in that it will make people want to post in it and hang out, we have to make it broad like IP said to "let people post finds based on what Colonial means to them"

For each hunt, it takes me days to clean and preserve (iron) before I do a post. Then when my artifacts are ready, it takes me anywhere from 2-4 hours to take pictures, edit them, write the post and lay everything out on here. I wont do that if I have to split my hunt up based on the dates of the era each piece falls into.

Therefore, I like the name and description that has been collectively created based on everyone's comments.

Name: "North American Colonial"

Description: "A forum dedicated to the sharing and discussion of North American Colonial artifacts from the first European settlement in North America, through the Revolution, and up until the Canadian Confederation."

If we get an area that is open to US and Canadian Colonial, spanning the European settlement of North America to the Canadian Confederation, I will do my best to make that area of tnet successful by putting together the best quality posts I can create.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are only talking one forum dedicated to colonial era. Members can also set the number of posts per page.....

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brad, your idea is a really good one, and I think your last post wraps it up nicely (though even as a dual us/can citizen it does seem to be extending a rather extraordinary kindness to include up to the C. Confederation :laughing7:)

Speaking as an infrequent tnet visitor and more of a spectator at this point it would be great to have a subsection to easily binge-learn and see what folks have been up to in this arena.

Appreciate all the constructive discussion...

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was talking to another member about this new forum idea and I realized something that I wanted to put out there and see what people think.

As you guys probably know, my typical detecting and sifting hunts turn up a variety of artifacts dating from the Colonial period, up through the early to mid Antebellum period. I like to put all my stuff from a hunt together for a post. I might find some tombacs, pewters, bone handles, KG, shoe buckle frame pieces... and then a LC, brass flat buttons, or CW Button... or even an early 1800's Spanish Silver (rarely. haha)

Would we allow a group variety like that to go in this new forum section? In other words, would the requirement be that the majority of the finds fall into the category of "North American Colonial" for the post to be valid? It would stink to have to split my hunt up into two posts, but at the same time we wouldn't want a post in the new Colonial section to be just CW buttons and a couple Large Cents... since that isn't Colonial at all.

Thoughts?

@ OutdoorAdv

You have "Todays Finds" which is were most metal detectorist post their hunts for the most audience. A "Colonial" section would give the opportunity to share and discuss in depth past finds or specific examples and varieties as well as any todays finds if you wished.

(example) It's ok if someone post a recent hunt in todays finds that may have bottles and artifacts and relics.
But if you post bottles in the North American artifacts we would move them to the bottle section and the same would apply to this forum if the finds did not fall with in the guidelines of that forum.
All we are discussing here is the title and what will be in the sticky thread explaining the mission, purpose and date range of the thread and location in the forum.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like the idea of 2 new forums with specific dates, because it doesn't addresses the issue that caused this whole subject to come up.

A forum, without people posting in it, is just an empty space on the internet. We need to make it a place that we want to go and hang out, post, share and learn. The issue with creating two very specific dated forums with strict rules with exact dates, will pigeon hole people and no one will post there. Compare the "Fur Trade" forum to the "North American Indian Artifacts" forum. The Fur Trade forum has 378 threads and the Indian Artifact forum has 17,995 threads. Its pretty obvious that we have people on here that are passionate about Indian Artifacts and visit tnet just for that reason. The Fur Trade forum has specific dates of 1660-1840 and never once, when I dug a single item that falls in that category, did I say to myself "YES... I finally dug a Fur Trade era item". We could make as many forums as we wanted for as many specific era's in history, but they will stay empty if they don't appeal to a lot of people.

Like many people have expressed, I am frustrated with the things I am interested in sliding off page 1 of today's finds before I see them. Then they are lost to the 2,124+ pages of today's finds, never to be seen again unless a specific search turns one up. I think many of us would like an area where we could post and get a chance to see it before it gets lost. To make this new forum successful, in that it will make people want to post in it and hang out, we have to make it broad like IP said to "let people post finds based on what Colonial means to them"

For each hunt, it takes me days to clean and preserve (iron) before I do a post. Then when my artifacts are ready, it takes me anywhere from 2-4 hours to take pictures, edit them, write the post and lay everything out on here. I wont do that if I have to split my hunt up based on the dates of the era each piece falls into.

Therefore, I like the name and description that has been collectively created based on everyone's comments.

Name: "North American Colonial"

Description: "A forum dedicated to the sharing and discussion of North American Colonial artifacts from the first European settlement in North America, through the Revolution, and up until the Canadian Confederation."

If we get an area that is open to US and Canadian Colonial, spanning the European settlement of North America to the Canadian Confederation, I will do my best to make that area of tnet successful by putting together the best quality posts I can create.

Looks like you should have just said old and not Colonial. :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So is this idea dead now?

Thinking a little more, what would be the better solution, at least to me, but not like I expect it to happen... is if Today's finds was broken into two sub-categories by age. All the posts would still go on the same, but you could with click... say....the pre 1840 category, or 1840 to present. It changes nothing except for the person choosing one when posting. As I said I don't believe it will happen, but it is true, unless a good old find goes on the banner it's gone way too soon the way things are now, and that's too bad. Heck, even better go 4 sub-categories for Today's finds... 17th century (and earlier) 18th century, 19th century & 20th century (to present) That way everything unfolds the same way as now, but this will definitely keep more better finds near the top because many people who have an interest in a certain period will click by sub-category.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial forum idea is not dead, but we want be subdividing today's finds. The only idea be considered is the new colonial forum.

Members not aware, you can set the number of threads per page, from 5 to 50 threads in your general settings...

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... but we want be subdividing today's finds. The only idea be considered is the new colonial forum....

All joking aside:

I realize that a "colonial" forum need-not necessarily be just for "finds". It would be for simply Q&A, discussion of research on that, etc.... But you know that persons will eventually be also posting their show & tell FINDS in that forum category too then. :icon_scratch:

So in THAT case, it does indeed become another de facto "finds" forum. Therefore, in a way, the "finds" forum has been subdivided. That's where the forum starts to become too muddied up. Such that, if a person wants to just cruise the finds forum to "see who's finding 1700s coins lately", they have to start cruising multiple forums. As opposed to just cruising the single "finds" forums, and simply clicking on titles where someone's got their LC or their bust, or their colonial copper listed in the title. That entices the click for those interested in that particular type-find.

So all joking aside, I think that sub-categories can start to muddle things up. And when someone has a specific niche (colonial age range, in this case), they can solve the need-of-classifying by just posting in their title "colonial such & such " (question, or find, or whatever).

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wonder if a colonial forum would fair any better than the Revolutionary War forum. That forum is totally dead and hasn't even had a post there in 8 days!

The vast majority of people in the U.S. aren't finding colonial relics or coins, so a forum devoted to that era probably wouldn't do much better than the Revolutionary War forum is currently doing right now. Just my opinion on the idea...

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wonder if a colonial forum would fair any better than the Revolutionary War forum. That forum is totally dead and hasn't even had a post there in 8 days!

The vast majority of people in the U.S. aren't finding colonial relics or coins, so a forum devoted to that era probably wouldn't do much better than the Revolutionary War forum is currently doing right now. Just my opinion on the idea...

I understand your point Tim. I'm not so concerned about the amount of action it receives but the overall quality of it as a sub forum. It is much broader than the Rev War specific forum and I believe that it would be a bit more busy. But for me personally I just want it to be a quality forum where the members who are passionate about this time period can post but also share the years of knowledge with the rest of us. I actually think it being less busy would be a blessing. Here's a quick example. SilverTreeChaser and a few others aren't able to come on very often. When they do there's several incredible colonial finds that have traveled so many pages into the past they would never see them. If only 20-30 members frequent this sub forum it will allow all of them to see these early finds and be able to enjoy them as well as consistently add lots of great info. I know for myself personally I likely have some older finds that I wouldn't mind reposting in this forum to possibly gain more insight. I am a huge believer in quality trumping quantity always. I believe this in the world of md finds and I think the same applies to this forum.
I know lots of people have become hung up on the date ranges and such. I say we crest the "Colonial Finds" forum and see what happens. I feel like people generally will understand what everyone's looking for here. I for one am really excited about it. We have some great knowledgeable members who could really make great contributions. Take care everyone

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I just wonder if a colonial forum would fair any better than the Revolutionary War forum. That forum is totally dead and hasn't even had a post there in 8 days! ....

Exactly. It just ends up creating more forums, that no one reads . Because logically, a person only-has-time to read so-many forums in a single day. So notice sub-forums like the state-specific don't get much traffic. As noble as their intent originally was, yet when someone here in CA has a cool item to show off, or even something specific to just CA, they will tend to go to the main -pages, where they know more readers will read. And if-need-be, just put the specifier in the title.

Eg.: "Question for anyone who's hunted in Bakersfield CA please"....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The object of TreasureNet is the sharing of information, help and finds among members, members interested in Colonial finds will post under a colonial forum if given the opportunity to do so. It will not matter if it gets 100 posts a day or 5 posts a day.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread