🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to propose an idea for a new forum section specific to the sharing and discussion of artifacts from the Colonial era. I would propose a section named "Colonial Period" (or something similar) be added in the "Artifact Forums" section, at the same level as the Civil War, Revolutionary War and Native American sections are. (Perhaps inserted between the "Civil War" and "Revolutionary War")

Colonial.jpg

The type of stuff I would expect it to contain would be pre-1800's artifacts, or pre-1776 artifacts... any ideas?

Perhaps a section like this already exists?

I'd like to hear what you guys think? Feel free to build on the idea or say its a bad idea!

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's a fantastic idea!!!! Some people love jewelry, some love bottles, some love Native American artifacts. I for one am passionate about the colonial period. The evolving birth of a new nation right up to and through the Rev War. I would like to suggest that the cutoff be possibly War of 1812 and earlier???? I know this isn't technically the colonial period....but I consider the first few years of the 19th century to be very tumultuous and basically an extension of this nation getting its roots down. It would also allow for some of the earliest American silvers and 1812 artifacts to be included. It's just a thought and I'm open to anything but I would not stop it at 1776. This would eliminate a ton of very early and incredible finds. When I think "colonial" it extends into the early portion of the 1800s....or at least 1800.
Great idea Brad and I'm excited to hear what other colonial lovers think

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I love the idea!! Right now many posts of this nature that appear on the popular "Today's Finds" forum can go almost unnoticed and quickly slip to page 2 before many of us even know it was there. With a forum dedicated to colonial finds everyone with this interest would be able to view and comment without worry of missing something, and would not have to wade through the hundreds of other posts. There are quite a few posters that seem to be interested in pre-1800 finds, and I think that after the word got out the new forum would become quite popular in spite of its specialized nature. I believe it would quickly become a close-knit group, and would be a great place to learn more about how our early settlers lived and survived in the 17th and 18th centuries through the finds of others. I also agree that placing this under the "Artifact Forums" would be the best spot. Let's do it!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I vote against it. Because it's clear discrimination against west coast md'rs. Besides, we here all know you guys never find LC's, colonial coppers, busts, etc...... It's all paint-shop/photoshop trickery where you're really doctoring up pix of the zinc pennies you guys find! In a clever attempt to make us CA guys think there's coins like that coming out of every sandbox. We figured out your tricks!

Thus a "colonial" section would only perpetuate these lies. Therefore I vote against it.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I vote against it. Because it's clear discrimination against west coast md'rs. Besides, we here all know you guys never find LC's, colonial coppers, busts, etc...... It's all paint-shop/photoshop trickery where you're really doctoring up pix of the zinc pennies you guys find! In a clever attempt to make us CA guys think there's coins like that coming out of every sandbox. We figured out your tricks!

Thus a "colonial" section would only perpetuate these lies. Therefore I vote against it.

There is "Civil War" forum and a "Revolutionary War" forum. Neither of which was fought on the west coast. There is also Native American forums and we don't all live in areas where that stuff exists. None of that is discrimination, we just all live in areas where we're able to find different stuff. I won't be able to find a gold rush camp on the east coast.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hear yea hear yea, only the 13 colonies may apply

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I suggest a date of Pre - 1820. REASON : As Ahab8 said The Early 1800's were literally the defining years of this great Nation. I say Pre 1820 as that would be a definitive Date We could all go by. That Date would include the War of 1812, The Advent of the 2 Piece Button and MANY other important Historical Events included. I love this idea. What say ye Folks ?? I await. PEACE:RONB

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I suggest a date of Pre - 1820. REASON : As Ahab8 said The Early 1800's were literally the defining years of this great Nation. I say Pre 1820 as that would be a definitive Date We could all go by. That Date would include the War of 1812, The Advent of the 2 Piece Button and MANY other important Historical Events included. I love this idea. What say ye Folks ?? I await. PEACE:RONB
I really like that date Barker. It includes all of the best that early American history offers

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom there is no voting and your attacking members posting colonial finds..

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi TH; I understand. He was only jesting ok. PEACE:RONB :thumbsup:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

where I live there are no Civil war battle fields.
Does this mean a Civil war section is discriminating against Me ?
there are no Shipwrecks in the local Dam, Or Gold Prospecting.

Sorry But the world of TreasureNet doesn't revolve around you Tom :tongue3:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other

I'll have to dig up my old hard drive some time and show you some things. Thousands of .psd files on there. I specialized in people and political propaganda, so coins, relics, and doccumentation would be cake. Maybe this winter I'll make a post about it.

It was a lot of fun competing for real cash!

To be OT, it makes sense to me. Go colonial.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Hey you guys, my post was only in jest. Sorry, I shoulda added some smiley faces. ;)

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. Sounds like people like the idea of a "Colonial Period" named (or similar name) forum with a description of "A forum dedicated to the sharing and discussion of Colonial American artifacts through 1820" (or something similar). I like including the early 1800's period suggestion a lot. Thanks everyone and look forward to more feedback.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

You hit the nail on the head. When you've worked enough of sites, that are1820-ish or earlier, you're right: There's a certain "feel" for the targets that seemed to change about that time. Not sure if it was the industrial revolution (since that would have been towards the end of that period). By the time you get to the 1840s & 50s, things seem more "stamped out". And as if you've entered the "disposable" era of metal targets.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey you guys, my post was only in jest. Sorry, I shoulda added some smiley faces. ;)

I had a feeling it was Tom. The colonial boys are serious lol

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, you are welcome to move to Connecticut, where there are many colonial items. Then you can change your name to Connecticut Tom.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to propose an idea for a new forum section specific to the sharing and discussion of artifacts from the Colonial era. I would propose a section named "Colonial Period" (or something similar) be added in the "Artifact Forums" section, at the same level as the Civil War, Revolutionary War and Native American sections are. (Perhaps inserted between the "Civil War" and "Revolutionary War")

View attachment 1336468

The type of stuff I would expect it to contain would be pre-1800's artifacts, or pre-1776 artifacts... any ideas?

Perhaps a section like this already exists?

I'd like to hear what you guys think? Feel free to build on the idea or say its a bad idea!

The Thirteen Colonies were a group of British colonies on the east coast of North America founded in the 17th and 18th centuries that declared independence in 1776 and formed the United States. The thirteen were: Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia, Connecticut, Massachusetts Bay, Maryland, South Carolina, New Hampshire, Virginia, New York, North Carolina, and Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.

Jamestown, Virginia, settled in 1607
French and Indian War/Seven Years' War, 1754–63

before I consider putting in an official request,
What should the description say Specifically ?

if you hunt Jamestown period, French & Indian war
1492 to 1776 ?

or didn't the Colonial period start till the 17th century ? (1600's )

what is the official "Colonial Period"

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think it would cover the era from 1492 till 1776 when we declared our independence.. It should include the 13 original colonies like Jeff said plus Florida since there was settlements by Spanish in that time period in Florida....

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thus a "colonial" section would only perpetuate these lies. Therefore I vote against it.[/QU

Tom are you serious , your statement must be a joke .
That is super silly. I for one love a good joke great post tom ,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions