Picnic ground yields Day's Three and Four

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
Day three was a dark overcast day. When we arrived at the area, there wasn't many people there including Marco. So we got right down to work. Check the swampy area, my father got a bunch of wheat penny hits on his machine. he said, if you want them, you can have them.

I moved some of the tall weeds by pushing them to the side and I began. I swung the CTX and I was getting loud banging wheat signals. I began to dig. The trail of wheats lead right to silver after silver. A few quarters mixed with other targets and I was beginning to notice a few things.

First: Where was the trash? I was finding literally, very small amounts of trash. A few shotgun caps, some foil(about maybe a gum wraps worth) and a few old bottle caps(the rare large kind, not crowns). So what was here that people lost all this money here? Not much iron at all, no litter. I was stumped.

Second: I was witnessing a very unique pattern with the target ID and the mixing of coins. Wheats and quarters were a 12-44. Wheats and nickels were a 12-34. Wheats and dimes a 12-43. The site was filled with wheat pennies and I needed to refine my hunting program. After a bit of planning, I made an awesome cherry picking program using Two tone conductive. Now, I can find the silver hot spots.

Lastly: The majority of these coins were 40s and 50s. Where were the steel pennies? I should have been finding them just as much as the copper ones. Another thought crossed my mind. There should be halves here too.

These mysteries were really eating at me but, covered in mud, it was time to go, however, I knew we would be back up again tomorrow.

Day three: silvers-3 wash, 11 dimes, 6 war nickels. 5 buffs and a bunch of jeffs and wheats,

016_zpspjawbsgx.jpg

It rained on the way back and it rained some of the night. It was Monday, and I took the day off for one reason, to hunt the picnic ground. My father and I, got up early and we made it there in what seemed like record time. Again, the place was empty and no Marco to be seen.

I went right back to the swamp only this time, the mud was deep. I pushed some more weeds to the side and had a screamer of a wheat penny signal about the size of a hub cap. This is when I dug..."The hole of forever".

I began digging this hole, with my Sampson shovel. After a few coins came out, I put them on a leaf. I wanted to count how many coins were going to come out of this hole. My father came over after an hour and said, "You are still in that same hole?" I said, "Yea I got ten coins out of it already including some silvers." He said, "Here, I found an old thermos coffee lid." and dropped it near the hole. I started putting the coins in there.

051616160510_zpskwyq7roh.jpg

In the picture above, you can see the hole, the coffee lid, and the mud surrounding the hole. After i found some coins, I would check this pile and find more.

I set my pin-pointer down, and it was telling me there were coins there. So I started digging there(the small hole)

051616160516_zpsd2xttouw.jpg

At this point, the hole was getting bigger and I connected the small hole and the big hole because, there were so many coins. As you can see in my coffee lid, there coins were starting to pile up. There were about 30 in there. I resorted to using a half of plastic bottle I found and scooping the coins out of the hole. I punched a small hole in the bottom so the water would drain.

051616160520_zpsoysapyv0.jpg

It was about almost four hours and i was still scooping out coins. The hole was about 17 inches in length, 10 inches wide, and 12 inches deep easily.

051616160539_zpsd4odkl0o.jpg

Coins were coming out in balls of mud.

piccm_zps7a6ws3yt.jpg

I stopped counting at 86 coins including a walker. It was over five hours and I couldn't stand up. I scanned the hole and the surrounding area. More coins in the weeds off to the left, but that would have to wait as time ran out.

Day four: silvers-1 walker, 6 wash, 28 dimes,12 war nickels. 12 buffs and a bunch of jeffs and wheats and one Canadian penny(pictured below the silver dimes).

017_zps7qkhync2.jpg

Things were going smoothly, too smoothly. I knew that after today, If Marco had any idea of what happened over this past weekend, things would come to a head. I knew, that he would be there next Saturday. I also knew, that I was in a race, with something. Something i don't think I can beat. Time.

To Be Cont.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice dig! Finding that many in one hole; sure beats walking around searching. I would search that general area moving very very slow. GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread