B

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a small town so the parks are really the only places to detect besides my backyard.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't hunt in public

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have had some VERY BAD experiences while hunting around kids and I avoid them like the plague. In one lake I had the police called on me 9 times because the parents THOUGHT I was diving below their kids to watch them. NOT. At another lake I was absolutely alone when I went in. Not a swimmer in sight. I was detecting and I felt a tap on my shoulder. I came up to see three sheriff officers standing on the beach. I was accused of touching an 8yr old girl. She did admit that she thought my coil touched her. No charges and now if there are any kids I don't dive.

In another lake with rich kids, I was diving a drop off and some were hitting rocks together underwater to bother me. Others were throwing handfuls of gravel at my bubbles only to have them float down harmlessly around me. Some even swam out to my float to get on it.

I have 6 daughters, was a cop for 9 years and have never been on the wrong side of a jail cell and never intend to be. I don't need rug rats or linoleum lizards around me at all.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Someone told me the fastest way to get kids to scram - in a creepy voice say, "Come to my van for some candy, I'll let you pet the puppies inside". :dontknow:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone told me the fastest way to get kids to scram - in a creepy voice say, "Come to my van for some candy, I'll let you pet the puppies inside". :dontknow:

I get the humor [I hope], but you might have some posters put up on telephone poles in you go that route.

In that regards, I was detecting a huge tot lot some years back, it was towards evening an empty. So a kid ambles up all chatty, I didn't want t be rude so I explained a few things while detecting, he asked if he could use it and I said no, but you are welcome to watch if you want.
Just then his mothers come up and gives him holy hell - DO YOU KNOW THIS GUY ? Kids says, u hyeah I just met him ... WELL SO YOU DON'T KNOW THIS GUY WHAT THE HELL YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING TALKING TO MEN YOU DON' KNOW ?? Kid tries to stammer out an explanation but the mothers says lets get the hell out of here, if you ever do anything like that again I am going to kick your ass !

So I was back to being alone but was pretty rattled, felt like Chester Molester. So I lost interest in detecting that lot and left. As I was driving out I noticed a poster on the telephone pole right outside the school, guy wanted for trying to lure kids into his truck. Scruffy looking white guy with a backwards baseball cap - I wouldn't say it was the spitting image of me, but I am a scruffy looking white guy who wears a backwards baseball cap who drives a truck. So I quickly figured out why the mother was so rattled.

Another time in the water 2 very annoying kids splashed up on me, watcha doin, whactcha lookin for, what does that thing do, rapid fire questions from both of them, little arabic kids too who tend to be rude and pushy by default just like their parents. I said its a metal detector, well what are you looking for ? Metal. I tried to pick up my pace and they kept getting in the way and splashing all over, I said hey, I heard your mother call better see what she wants. Nah, she didn't. I finally said hey, you know you shouldn't talk to strangers right ? Girl asked if I was a stranger, I said yeah you don't know me so I'm a stranger so you better go.
She thought that was hilarious and got even more annoying, I practically jogged out of the water to get away from them.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we women have it a little easier than you guys when it comes to being around kids & metal detecting. But when the kids come around i'm always looking for the parents to see if its ok.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I experience a higher percentage of Brats than the polite ones.

Fortunately, I can't hear a thing with my earphones on :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread