Metal Detecting
always start low Brad

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While I have drooled over quite a few late 60's and early 70's Dodge and Plymouth muscle cars, I would still take my' 1969 Ford Fairlane 500 Fastback back in a Tennessee or New York minute or second. She was yellow with a Black Vinyl top and had a 429 with a Dual line Holley, 4 Speed Hurst shifter, L60-14's on the rear, normal 14's on the front and air shocks. She was clocked at well over 200 mph on the Karlsruhe Autobahn by a U.S. Army W-4 Helicopter Pilot driving one of the last Ford De Tomaso Pantera GT's ever built. I sold the 69 Fairlane because I was leaving Germany and needed the money. I could have traded her on the W-4's Pantera but I had ordered a new Ford F-100 that I was supposed to pick up in Dearborn, MI. However, because of the specs that I wanted, Ford never built the truck due to an EPA thing. When they finally did build one to my' specs, that is when the 1980 Ford F-100 Rangers with the manual and automatic overdrive transmissions were born. I still have the order sheet in case anyone wonders.

Frank

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sorry not a ford fan
corvette, superbee, gto, etc.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was younger, I owned lots of bellybutton cars.
Chevelles, GTO, '57 Chevy, Camaros, Charger, etc.

Ok, so now I own two AMC's.

Somebody's gotta be the oddball.

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Matador and Pacer? :laughing7:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Matador and Pacer? :laughing7:
Ha ha nope. But I wouldn't mind owning a Matador X, equipped with the stock AMC factory 401 small block. Also, believe it or not some Pacers (X) came from the factory with V-8's, as did the Gremlin X. And I almost forgot about some of the little factory Hornets, powered by a 290 hp 360.

Last edited:

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha nope. But I wouldn't mind owning a Matador X, equipped with the stock AMC factory 401 small block. Also, believe it or not some Pacers came from the factory with V-8's, as did the Gremlin X. And I almost forgot about some of the little factory Hornets, powered by a 290 hp mill.

I can remember seeing the Matador X. Wasn't there also a Marauder? Heck, these days, I'd take just about any of them.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I can remember seeing the Matador X. Wasn't there also a Marauder? Heck, these days, I'd take just about any of them.
There was a Mercury Marauder, which was awesome. You might be thinking about the Amc Rebel Machine, one year only 1970. 315 hp 390 cube, solid color or red white and blue.

The cars I own are the 1970 2 seater AMX, and 1971 Javelin AMX.

Last edited:

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a Mercury Marauder, which was awesome. You might be thinking about the Amc Rebel Machine, one year only 1970. 315 hp 390 cube, solid color or red white and blue.
That's right, it is a Mercury. I stand corrected :tongue3: . The old memory is not what it used to be. Thanks.

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets not forget the sporty, AMC Concord!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
When I purchased my' 1964 (Titled) Mercury Comet Caliente in 1971 which came from the Factory with a 289, 4 Speed in the floor, Leather Upholstery and Carpeted, my best friend (Jess) could not stand it that it would outrun his' car, a 1963 Galaxie 500 2 Door with a 390, dual-line Holley 4-BBL and 4 Speed in the floor, so he went looking for a faster car. In Maryville, Tennessee, he purchased a 1964 Galaxie 500 with a 412 Mercury Marauder Engine in it, a dual-line Holley 4-BBL and a 4 Speed in the floor. Well, the '64 Galaxie had a bad rearend and the Holley 4-BBL flooded. Jess took the car to Jim King's Garage and Jim rebuilt the carburetor while Jess looked for another rearend. Sorry but it is hard to shorten the post and still tell the story! Jess found a rearend out of a '65 Fairlane and Jim pulled the bad rearend in the '64 and replaced it with the one from the '65 Fairlane. This still did not solve all of the problems as the carburetor was still not running right even after Jim tuned it 4 or 5 times. Jess finally traded his' Holley 4-BBL for his brother's Holley 4-BBL that was in the 1963 Galaxie 500 Jess had sold him and he gave his brother $20 in the trade. Jim had to rebuild the Holley 4-BBL out of the '63 before installing it in Jess' '64 but all 4 barrels still stayed open all of the time. After fixing a problem with the Condensers (Ford 390's and 412's had one inside the Distributor with the Points and one outside) and finding that the 412 Mercury in Jess' '64 Galaxie had been bored and Blueprinted and had exactly 175 PSI compression on each cylinder, Jim asked Jess to pull it out into the road and see what it would do. Well, the 64 Galaxie burned rubber in all 4 gears and for the next 4 or 5 months, there was not a single car, muscle or otherwise in most of East Tennessee that could hold a candle to it. Jess racked up some big money betting that his' car would beat all of the rich kid's cars and did. Sadly, Jess tore out the "A" Frame bushings in the '64, so he purchased back his' old 63 and put the 412 Mercury Marauder Engine from the '64 in it as well as the transmission and rearend but the '63 just never ran like the old 64.

Frank

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I owned a White Levi interior Gremlin... Does that count? I did help the 256 inline 6 out some with a four barrel intake, headers, improved cam and a custom exhaust. I could beat any stock 350 off the line easily and pull away quickly... later I ran out of torque and gear problems arose...???? But MANY times that was WAY down the strip and I'd just laugh and they'd just shake their heads... Like how the hell did that happen????

OP
OP
The Rebel

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GEEZ! Glad you recovered, scary as all hell....

Funny, I nearly was killed by my 1970 440/ 727 GTX. Alternator went bonkers, battery blew up and it all went dark. I woke up 10 days later, and spent 2 years learning to walk again. Found I had taken out 250' of guardrail, hit a cement culvert head on, then slid across the road and broadsided a tree. And no I wasn't speeding.

To this day all I remember is walking out to the car that night, then waking up in ICU. I broke a couple of toes, left leg 4 compound fractures, tore my knee loose, broken pelvis, broken back, broke 3 ribs, punctured lung, internal injuries, broke my jaw in four places, shattered both cheek bones, knocked both eyes out of the sockets, fractured skull, concussion, more bruises and cuts and abrasions they I can list. Received Last Rites twice.

Might be a bad thing tha tI don't remember it, I got this itch to build again. Thinking a 68 Hemi Dart clone.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Phew! For a second there when I saw "sporty AMC" NOT followed by Javelin, I was afraid it was going to say "Eagle".
Factory 4X4 SX4 Eagle. Sporty, yes or no? Property of Chrysler Fiat.

Attachments

• amc16.jpg
    amc16.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 61

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I saw one for sale today. Turned around and went back and it was a 69 Pontiac.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread