Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oops! Wrong motor and trans ....

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do any of you know what the RO23 program package was at Chrysler?

in 1967 Plymouth upped the stakes, introducing a limited-production lightweight drag-racing package for the Belvedere known as the RO23

With just 55 built and an unknown number surviving, it’s not surprising that RO23 Plymouths are rarely offered for sale. In the past 10 years, only four have sold at auction. The highest sale was $151,200 at RM’s 2007 auction in Fort Lauderdale. The Hurst-built ’68 Hemi Darts and Barracudas typically bring more than that.

Although the Hemi compacts are just as rare as the RO23s and were just as successful on the track, they also have something else going for them: a nasty, aggressive, ready-to-dominate look. The pedestrian demeanor of the Belvedere is likely the reason the RO23s usually sell for less.

Over $150K in 2007! Perhaps looking at $200K for the vehicle!

https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0515-214573/1967-plymouth-belvedere-ii-ro23/

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sharp car, but for that kind of dough, you want closer to numbers-matching. Not only are the wheels not correct, the motor is wrong because Chrysler only offered the 318/360 smog motors in '74.
Heck, I'd be lucky to be able to afford a basket case Cuda ...

Do you know what the motor options there were for the '73? My guess would be the same as the '74, but not sure. I've never researched it.

I've got a '73 HP stamped 440, and the Cuda is about the only model from that year that I like. I'd like to find out what the motor came out of. Probably a New Yorker ... lol!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Heck, I'd be lucky to be able to afford a basket case Cuda ...

Do you know what the motor options there were for the '73? My guess would be the same as the '74, but not sure. I've never researched it.

I've got a '73 HP stamped 440, and the Cuda is about the only model from that year that I like. I'd like to find out what the motor came out of. Probably a New Yorker ... lol!
440HP in 220/280 horsepower for '73.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great cars in the thread...

All I ever had were A Body, pieced together . :laughing7: Darts,dusters,barracuda, demon, etc....All patched up rotted out floors and trunks, swapping 340's and drive trains from one to the next. That was when you could pick the cars up for $150 to 300 bucks. :laughing7: Nothing even picture worthy!:laughing7: Get pay check on fri, grab a cheap car out of someones yard, wrench all weekend,swapping motors trannys, rear ends, and drive it to work on monday morn.:laughing7: Find a "better body" a couple weeks later, sitting in someone else's yard, and do it all over again...I wish I had that same ambition and energy today!!:laughing7: Changing K frames for motors.....etc.......The money I wasted!!! Roller rocker,cams,changing intakes every other day, carbs,gears,drive shafts,tranny's,etc.......Ohh not to mention tires!! Just to smoke them off!???

Good luck on your search!! That stuff is getting harder and harder to find. There was a 69 road runner here, a couple of years ago for $800 on craigslist. I was tempted to buy it, but I had just moved and half the car was......Missing! quarters cut off, front end gone,interior gone, etc...Basically a rolling shell with doors...Rough shape.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
quarters cut off, front end gone,interior gone, etc...Basically a rolling shell with doors...Rough shape.

My brother's '67 GTX, as pictured early in this thread, was in pretty rough shape when he got it, almost a complete re-build. I don't even know how much money he put in it to get it to showroom quality, and it took several years - he won every show he entered. I was up North when he was restoring it, I think he had to replace fenders, etc, and the engine was blown. Whoever had it before him had run it hard and didn't mind running through the woods with it. But he recognized exactly what it was = one of the very few left.

And, if you look back at the pictures, it is tweaked to the best it can be. I drove it one time and he wasn't in the car. It was pretty difficult to drive, but I'd never driven it before or again afterwards. Me? I had to keep double clutching it to keep from flat exploding under me - I mean like that thing has way far too much power, and I hadn't driven a muscle car in over 30 years at the time - that thing is too much for me to handle, being an "elderly creaky old gentleman far removed from the muscle car days".

Getting a scratch car today and restoring it is beyond expensive - and 67GTX was obsessed with matching numbers, etc.

Wipe the dust off, change oil, filter & etc. and drive it away very carefully so that it does not EXPLODE with power beneath your feet.

I'd never driven any vehicle (and I've driven MANY) with that kind of explosive power. Probably wore some clutch pad off in my half hour experience. I'm an old man now! It just scared me to death that kinda power.

Keep the faith my friends!

That car is DEEP!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother's '67 GTX, as pictured early in this thread, was in pretty rough shape when he got it, almost a complete re-build. I don't even know how much money he put in it to get it to showroom quality, and it took several years - he won every show he entered. I was up North when he was restoring it, I think he had to replace fenders, etc, and the engine was blown. Whoever had it before him had run it hard and didn't mind running through the woods with it. But he recognized exactly what it was = one of the very few left.

And, if you look back at the pictures, it is tweaked to the best it can be. I drove it one time and he wasn't in the car. It was pretty difficult to drive, but I'd never driven it before or again afterwards. Me? I had to keep double clutching it to keep from flat exploding under me - I mean like that thing has way far too much power, and I hadn't driven a muscle car in over 30 years at the time - that thing is too much for me to handle, being an "elderly creaky old gentleman far removed from the muscle car days".

Getting a scratch car today and restoring it is beyond expensive - and 67GTX was obsessed with matching numbers, etc.

Wipe the dust off, change oil, filter & etc. and drive it away very carefully so that it does not EXPLODE with power beneath your feet.

I'd never driven any vehicle (and I've driven MANY) with that kind of explosive power. Probably wore some clutch pad off in my half hour experience. I'm an old man now! It just scared me to death that kinda power.

Keep the faith my friends!

That car is DEEP!

I always wanted to restore a car from the ground up, after years of trying and wasting money I realized? I didn't have the garage or the money for it. I've worked in shops so I know how, and think I'd be very picky, but the money it takes is HUGE!!! To do it right. That Gtx is one of my dream cars. I liked the super bees too. I'll just look at pictures and pretend I had one!:laughing7:

Added...
I actually found a couple of pics of a car I was working on......No big deal! but fun times!!! I was about 17 or 18 maybe 19(don't remember) when I was working on this one....A friend had a shop and would let me use the lift in the evenings and weekends, when my work was done. I was getting it ready for sandblasting. The windows were out, and pulled the motor to do the engine compartment. It was intended to be red when it was done so I did the engine compartment, and cut in around the doors and windows, and put it back together until I could get the money for the rest....It never made it. I ran from the cops one night, hid, and was too scared to drive it around town after that. It sat in a garage for about a year or so, then I sold it, along with a bunch of motors and parts....

View attachment 1344073
View attachment 1344075
View attachment 1344076

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My brother just came up, sitting behind me right now.

He identified your car as a '71 Duster or Demon....

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother just came up, sitting behind me right now.

He identified your car as a '71 Duster or Demon....

I think your right by what's in the pics! the shell was a 72 Duster with 72 tail lights, but hard to tell, the front clip and doors were off a 70. I had to rework the tail side marker lights to match the front fenders, They were recessed on the earlier years. Not sure if it shows well in that pic (they are fuzzy) That pic may have been before I did that...It had a forged crank 340 It's been a long time but I think 68 or 69, with J heads...That I think I got from a truck motor 72(?) (360)...It's been a while and I can't remember anymore. can't even tell you now why I chose J over x, valves or ports maybe, who knows now Probably trying to follow someones "blueprint" ......Those were the days..We were offered two 426 motors all apart for $1200 bucks...A friend and I said...Pffft that's too much....YA!!!! If we only knew now!!!!!!

Here...I was trying to break into a 68 or 69 340 GTS ( not heard of very often), In my younger days! My dad and mom got into an argument over spending money on this car...My Dad to spite her gave it to a neighbor for free....I went looking for this car years later to only find out it had been totaled.

Sry, I went way way off topic!! I like cars! And mopars! :laughing7: Another dumb question! Why were my parents in the house taking pics instead of actually watching me. I'm standing up in a wagon at about 4 years old!! Hey, that might explain a few things....:icon_scratch:

View attachment 1344095

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know if any parts are tough to obtain on a '69 Charger, but find out before you buy one. My '72 Road Runner had a few parts that were almost impossible to find. The cheap plastic headlight bezels and grille cost about a $1,000 for a used set and they don't make a reproduction. The taillight lenses are a killer as well. I think they go for around $400 for a pair of repros.

It's the cosmetic stuff that wears you down and adds up to big bucks. Upper and lower door panels, dashboard, arm rests and so on. It takes a lot of cash, time and patience to restore any classic car.

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has turned in to a great thread.

The only Mopar that I actually owned, I owned for a day, and then sold it. Not because I wanted to, but because I had to. Needed emergency cash. It was an, if I remember correctly, '71 Satellite. Awesome body but no motor or tranny. The guy that bought it from me just stuck it in his secret garage, with the rest of his collection.

Chadeaux

Gold Member
Sep 13, 2011
Southeast Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Don't know if any parts are tough to obtain on a '69 Charger, but find out before you buy one. My '72 Road Runner had a few parts that were almost impossible to find. The cheap plastic headlight bezels and grille cost about a $1,000 for a used set and they don't make a reproduction. The taillight lenses are a killer as well. I think they go for around $400 for a pair of repros.

It's the cosmetic stuff that wears you down and adds up to big bucks. Upper and lower door panels, dashboard, arm rests and so on. It takes a lot of cash, time and patience to restore any classic car.

Hmmm... 3D printing? I mean, they can make a gun, why not a plastic bezel?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm... 3D printing? I mean, they can make a gun, why not a plastic bezel?

That's a great idea! I'll bet someone could pull it off. Even better, why doesn't someone work out a deal with Chrysler and manufacture a few thousand of them to sell? If people are paying a grand for a used set, you could sell them new for $500 and make a killing. How tough could it be to make plastic bezels and a grille? I'm guessing they can make them with injection molds, possibly?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread