Best Place You Ever Explored?

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Just as it says, what is the best place you ever explored, what makes that the best place you ever explored. If you are sitting on the fence then name the ones you feel are the best.

Also what place(s) would you like to explore before it is all over.

I have been to many countries my self and seen many things; for me what gets me is a kayaking expedition. So far the best I have gotten to do is the coastline of Greece and Turkey, exploring and lots of little islands, doing some snorkeling, fishing, camping.

The place I would like to Yak is all the islands around Vanuatu. I have a couple friends who got to yak that area for 4 months after they retired out of the Army. One ended up staying there. The stories I have heard is that it is a great place for exped yaking.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Finland - the only place I ever felt truly "at home". Never made it to the Arctic Circle though! :BangHead:

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Utah World War Two ghost town that mined a special ore needed for certain kinds of explosives. It was sabatoged in 1946 and was burnt down.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I got to detect in Afghanistan... And found a soviet uniform button!

That's my generic 'best' because of the sheer oddity of the location - and it was also my most 'exotic' hunt.

My FAVORITE 'best' would be sites associated with the Texas Revolution.

~Tejaas~

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say Pompeii was the best to explore when we were there few people were around so we slipped into some restricted areas and got to see some neat stuff. The best area I ever detected was fields around Mainz Germany. We dug roman-WW2 stuff there. The glory days...
1995,3%20[640x480][1].jpg 1995,2%20[640x480][1].jpg 1995%20[640x480][1].jpg
Bucket lister:I would love to visit Truk Lagoon and dive the WW2 wrecks .

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live at high altitude so in the winter I explore the high desert to escape the frozen ground here.Its usually a lot of searching and researching vast areas to locate long gone homesteads and mining camps.

Then the"button house"happened three years ago.Not much to look at.Not much left of a once small farm from what I could tell.I was alone that day on a scouting trip in a new area.In less than 10 mins.I had several wheats,teens and twentys and a buff.

It was on.A silver ring and a knights of pythius badge later I headed back up the hill.The next day I was back with my buddy and we struggled with the trashiest ground I have ever expierienced.Buttons of all descriptions seemd to be dumped in many areas.A few more buffs,wheats,a slq,and a group of foriegn coins came out and even more jewelery.

long story short we switched to sifting also and put in about 20 trips to the acerage.We really cleaned up as that place gave up some secrets.Things were thrown about randomly,some spots were obviously used as coin or silver jewelery dumps.one spot had the remains of broken crucibles,dozens of them.we found molds for lead toy soldiers,many completed lead toys.a bunch of plated jewelery(half a five gallon bucket)that had the plating completely removed,wierd.

It took a couple years to work it over completely then I took my snowplow truck down there and smoothed out our countless sifter piles.Weve come to agree that some poor sole was just crazy as a(fill in the blank)and will never forget the excitement that sacred ground provided us.Had to be nearly 50 silver coins which were dome shaped and made into buttons.has to be nearly 3 lbs of silver scrap sold.no gold ever but silver galore.

It all started with a winter day exploring the desert.That place is the reason my wife got interested in md'ing.I'm kinda sad its over but we still go there once in a while just to expand the circle out from the main footing.A few photos of some of the stuff I kept from that magical site.most of the red display case and coins was button house but not all.you can see some buffs made into domed buttons

001.JPG ... 002.JPG ... 003.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Loch Ness. Loved the area. Beautiful and mysterious. Spooky day and night...

Now that would be really cool, go hit up Aleister Crowley's old house, no telling would that man buried there.

OP
OP
Oddjob

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I live at high altitude so in the winter I explore the high desert to escape the frozen ground here.Its usually a lot of searching and researching vast areas to locate long gone homesteads and mining camps.

Then the"button house"happened three years ago.Not much to look at.Not much left of a once small farm from what I could tell.I was alone that day on a scouting trip in a new area.In less than 10 mins.I had several wheats,teens and twentys and a buff.

It was on.A silver ring and a knights of pythius badge later I headed back up the hill.The next day I was back with my buddy and we struggled with the trashiest ground I have ever expierienced.Buttons of all descriptions seemd to be dumped in many areas.A few more buffs,wheats,a slq,and a group of foriegn coins came out and even more jewelery.

long story short we switched to sifting also and put in about 20 trips to the acerage.We really cleaned up as that place gave up some secrets.Things were thrown about randomly,some spots were obviously used as coin or silver jewelery dumps.one spot had the remains of broken crucibles,dozens of them.we found molds for lead toy soldiers,many completed lead toys.a bunch of plated jewelery(half a five gallon bucket)that had the plating completely removed,wierd.

It took a couple years to work it over completely then I took my snowplow truck down there and smoothed out our countless sifter piles.Weve come to agree that some poor sole was just crazy as a(fill in the blank)and will never forget the excitement that sacred ground provided us.Had to be nearly 50 silver coins which were dome shaped and made into buttons.has to be nearly 3 lbs of silver scrap sold.no gold ever but silver galore.

It all started with a winter day exploring the desert.That place is the reason my wife got interested in md'ing.I'm kinda sad its over but we still go there once in a while just to expand the circle out from the main footing.A few photos of some of the stuff I kept from that magical site.most of the red display case and coins was button house but not all.you can see some buffs made into domed buttons

View attachment 1338200 ... View attachment 1338203 ... View attachment 1338205

So all that is basically from the same site: that is amazing. Good on you man, that is tons of puzzle pieces.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1338200 ... View attachment 1338203 ... View attachment 1338205
Sounds like an awesome two years I'd digging.:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread