Lightning Struck Wood

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used lightning struck pine, and it was absolutely beautiful! The only REAL PROBLEM was that it was so full of static, the shavings would cling to everything! Forget about using a dust collector to capture the dust and shavings.

OP
OP
U

uzd

Feb 24, 2015
Cowtown
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I've heard of that. I've got two power easements and they make it tuff on the big hardwoods close by. I know the severity of the strike dictates the new properties in the wood. I've got a big live oak thats been struck twice in my lifetime, you can draw sparks tryng to cut the dead wood w/an axe. Won't blaze but smolders and smells like a smoked toy train transformer.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not know that.

Theres a tree behind my neighbors house that has been struck twice in the past 5 years.
Might that have anything to do with my poor TV reception?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
:dontknow:

All I know about lightening-struck trees is, I don't wanna be around when it happens!! Back in high school, I was out in the shop when lightening struck a 100' pine tree just 20' or so away from the building. The lightening came down the trunk and, at about 10' up, jetted out into the ground. Under that ground was the buried power lines going from the house to the shop. Fortunately the surge decided to go the direction of the shop. It blew out light and outlet covers. Pieces of plastic went flying across the entire building!! Don't have any idea how it was I didn't need fresh Fruit of the Looms after that!!

Shortly after getting married ("some" years later :laughing7:), wife and I were sound asleep when lightening struck a power pole and followed the line into the new house (we'd just lost the old house to electrical fire a few months before). It messed up the TV's, blew up the then-new PC, and destroyed the stacker washer/dryer. Totally disintegrated the vent hose, plus caught some lint on fire that was still on the dryer screen. We had 6 dogs at the time, I think. Every single one of those dogs was afraid of thunder after that. ...And for good reason, too!!

I didn't used to worry about walking outside in a thunderstorm. Guess I'm a wimp now, also. :laughing9: ...And the wife? She don't like it when the wind gets above 20 MPH in dark skies!! Funny though - she'll turn off all the lights in the house (at nighttime) so she can "see the lightening better". Says it makes her not as afraid. :laughing7:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya i hear you on that one, i was sitting on our back patio "enjoying" the rain storm, when the neighbors tree got hit last time. I litterally elevated up off the chair & in the house, hubby said he's never seen me move so fast. :eek:

SeniorCitizen

Aug 5, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I unaware of sundry applications but I'd like to enter this Black Walnut tree in a ugliest tree in the world contest.

It was lightning struck about 35 years ago and is no taller than then, grows nothing but sucker limbs and on occasion will produce a couple of walnuts.

Pic loaded 180° rotated. It not that way in my folder . Maybe someone can rotate it so the roots are in the dirt. thanks

Attachments

• walnut tree lightening 2015.JPG
    walnut tree lightening 2015.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 146

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine was on patrol with a buddy. He stepped out of his patrol vehicle to stretch and bang, he got hit by lightning. Hit his head and exited through his service gun into the vehicle and knocked out his partner in the car. When the partner came to, the ambulance was called. Partner was o.k. but the driver sustained brain damage and nerve damage. He had to retire, and go through a relearning curve. He's not to bad now, but misses the job.

OP
OP
U

uzd

Feb 24, 2015
Cowtown
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good example of 'path of least resistance' . Many people have 'come to' w/a copper taste on their tongue because they confused a no conductor w/a poor conductor of electricity.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread