Advise Please, Treasure Hunter

Rexoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few days ago, a treasure hunter approach me regarding a farm lot of mine, he said he suspect that something very significant is buried there, he also claims to have used a machine to get a reading. He is requesting that he be allowed to do some more testing/scanning in my property and that he may need to do some digging, what should I do?

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd let him. You never know. Did he tell you what he thought it was?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sounds like someone is dreamy-eyed chasing a superstition/legend. But , heck, doesn't hurt to let him go knock himself silly and look.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Is up to you. Not sure what your laws are there, if everything found belongs to you or to the gov't. You could also make request that he(?) show you ALL finds, and that anything of value be split. This agreement MUST be made beforehand, to avoid problems later. Would be even better to get agreement in writing. ...Or, just let him keep his finds.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Kind of an interesting way of getting a permission too. Get an owner wondering if there is something:icon_scratch:. I'd follow kcm's advice. Ask him if he has a loaner and could you join him in the hunt. But I think you would have to have some idea of what it is he's looking for:dontknow: GL

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
digging with a shovel or backhoe?
I would get detailed clarity

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well Since you are No where near Ric Savage, I would say go for it :thumbsup:
just advise him 50/50 if a Treasure is found.

that would be my offer if I were to approach a Landowner on Hunting Their Property.

Like others suggested though, You may want to Question the extent he will go to prove/disprove and hopefully recover the treasure . and decide if you are ok with it.
after all it is your property.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Get more intell on the guy and have him explain what he thinks is there. Buy or rent a detector and always accompany him on these digs. Make sure others close to you know what's going on.
Unless you know him already just be careful.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A) It is YOUR property.

B) Anything on that property (unless stolen or a "national treasure") belongs to you.

Make sure the treasure hunter understands the agreed upon split of anything found; and that the treasure hunter will completely restore your land to its original condition at the end of the search regardless.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Definitely ask about what they are looking for, could be something cool...or shocking.

In KC there is a great museum dedicated to just such a find.
The story I know is that one day a farmer had a knock on his door and a couple of guys stood there with a similar request...something is likely to be buried deep under one of his fields and could they have permission to look.
When he asked what they were looking for they told him a large 171 foot long steamboat that sank in 1856 while traveling along the Mississipi river which at one time cut right through his property.
Likely to have plenty of treasure on board, too.

I would have liked to have been there to see the look on that farmer's face at the time.
Turns out they were correct and here is the story about it.

The Steamboat Arabia Arabia Steamboat Museum ? Kansas City

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bring in the back hoe

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Get his name and address and tell him that if he disappoints you, you will go to your Internal Revenue Service job and have him financially castrated, for the rest of his life...

OP
OP
R

Rexoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the replies and advises. I met with the treasure hunter and his Filipino colleague and asked for a detailed proposal. From what I got from them this morning they will just be digging with shovels, they are looking for gold bars but further added that it is not part of the famously searched Yamashita treasure, it is not in anyway relate to Japanese soldiers during world war 2. They are asking for a 70-30% split, I get 30% of whatever they find, they will cover all expenses, is this fair?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whether or not it's fair depends on your attitude :laughing7:

you have 2 alternatives. Bluff them and say "No !..50/50 or I'll do my own digging" & Hope they don't sneak on your property to dig.

or accept.

as a Land Owner I'd go with the Bluff.

if they are confident the treasure is there, 50/50 should still be worth it to them.

Keep an eye on all their digs though.

as a Treasure Hunter(s), I'd be hoping you'd accept :laughing7:

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If looking for gold bars, and if they threw out the offer of 70/30, then "I" would probably counter with 60/40. While it IS "your" land, you wouldn't even know to dig had it not been for these people. So let them do the work, and end up with 40% of whatever they find. They might decide to skip your place or try to sneak in if they feel you're trying to take advantage. ...Taking advantage of your own property. Yeah! But, I suppose that's how they might think.

In any case, Jeff is correct - watch your property...even if they choose to not accept any deal. Greed can cause people to re-write laws in their own minds in order to justify their actions (greed).

OP
OP
R

Rexoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, thanks, I googled local laws on treasure hunting, if found in a private property, the share is equal 50/50

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
so you say he admits to tresspassing on your property and detecting before contacting you.he then offers nearly 1/2 what the law requires as a split?
Seems like you would need to have a rigid schedual and be there every second they search and dig.But I would go for the 50/50...might be interesting and fun.dont get your hopes up tho....buried gold stories are common and worth exactly 50% of nothing nearly all the time.

OP
OP
R

Rexoy

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone, I am having second thoughts now. When the person I was dealing with brought the MOA draft to me, there was too many names in their party, when in fact I was only meeting with a foreigner treasure hunter and his Filipino colleague, in the MOA there are 3 additional names whom I have not met and have no idea who they are.

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Yeah I'm with Bigfoot on this. If they were on your property before hand, that's Trespassing. If they have that little regard for that one, who's to say what other things they will ignore or lie about.

Problem now, even if you say no, you'll have to be out there 24/7/365, as you know you can't trust them.

Fool me once...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread