Metal detector reviews-what's the game?

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read a lot of MD reviews, from different, wide-ranging sites. I always see this weird pattern...you read reviews that are glowing, wonderful, giddy....then you see a few...say 6 out 20, that totally trash the model. It goes from "best machine you can buy-a real winner- head of my stable-my go to machine - superb build quality" to "what a piece of garbage!- can't detect a quarter at 6 inches- flimsy piece of junk-can't figure out how to use this ridiculously complicated, poorly designed albatross".
Mind you, the trashers will always say "Don't tell me I don't know how to use it, I've been detecting for 30 yrs and have owned dozens of detectors"...if they don't like a Fisher or Teknetics for example, they'll often dismissively call it a "bounty hunter toy".
Thing is, I'VE been detecting for 30 yrs and have owned some of the detectors they're trashing...and they're really off base for the ones I'm familiar with. The negative comments are unwarranted imo.
So I wonder...why do they do it? What's the motivation? Why do they take the time out of their day to exaggerate or fabricate negative reviews? It undermines the whole process. It serves no positive purpose that I can see. It just seems to be a form of juvenile vandalism.
Any theories?

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My theory is just plain mistakes on their part. I get some false signals when I don't fasten the coil cable, no matter if it's a fisher or Garrett or Deus, right? And when you are absolutely sure you are the most knowledgable guy in the world and have used detectors for years than the error is certainly not on your part, right?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't think they are fabricating the results, they may not have been happy with the performance of detector.... There are some I have used I didn't care for, they were pieces of junk to me, others I do not like the looks or feel of the detector when I was looking at it to me they are toys, but someone else may like the detector...

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
My theory is when you let anyone post reviews, you'll see everything for reviews.

I end up reviewing the reviewers, usually.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
truthfully, right now its a niche market. Need a beach machine? Need a machine with fast recovery? need a machine that has great depth? There is one that excels for each category. But one that does all three perfectly? not a chance.

Bad reviews usually stem from unreal expectations or a poor product. We, as humans, always expect the best when buying something because we want maximum value for our dollar. Our imaginations fill in the gaps BEFORE we get the product.

The best thing you can do, is have realistic expectations. If someone on a video is getting a dime at 15 inches, don't expect you will.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped looking/listening to reviews. The truth is here! Just look at the finds of some of the veteran's here, and you can see what machine there using. What more do you need??

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reviews come from DEALERS that profit from the sales of machines they review; "SHILLS," that receive FREE machines to review and don't want to piss off the manufacturer so they can keep getting free machines; Self appointed "EXPERTS" who usually have less than 50-hours on the machine they are reviewing; "GREENHORNS" that just don't have a clue; "YOUTUBE STARS" who are more interested in Google Adsense revenue and views than good information; and all the rest.

I have reviewed several Tesoro machines after using them for at least 300-hours. I have bought every machine I have reviewed. I have been offered several machines by different manufactures - with the understanding that I would review them either on YouTube or in writing, and I have always refused. I did agree to review the Deteknix Digger when they sent one to me free --

So I guess I'm an equipment prostitute just like the rest of them! :laughing7:

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rex from Deteknix sent me an email asking if I wanted to review one of their products on Youtube. Me being a Youtube star with just over 500 subscribers....I told him sure...why the hell not.

So he emailed me the next day with a contract that stated I (the reviewer) would not be allowed to say ANYTHING negative about the product. Only the positive stuff. That was rather disappointing and not something I was willing to accept. How will I ever get to 1000 now? :sadsmiley: :laughing7:

A couple AWESOME members here at TNET have sent me their detectors to try out and review on my channel....

Bowwinkles sent me a F44 and an Ace 400....
TaterBill sent me a 4 inch coil to review....
I currently have Loco-Diggers XP Deus....

I literally cannot thank them enough. It makes it nice since there are no contracts or expectations...just simple friends with honor scratching each others backs.

Anyways...back to the core topic. I agree with Deft Tones. You have to review the reviewers. If you see a review that says "this detektur is poop"....you can probably come to the conclusion you need a better reviewer. Same with the company shill guys who have absolutely zero negative points to make about a detector. No thanks. Gimme the good and the bad...or I'm not interested in a review.

Gold, silver, relics, and rare coins. Every single detector on the market from $60 to $6000 has found it...and every single one has missed it where another has found it. Hard to review success and failure when a high % of detecting is where you are detecting...and not how rad your detector is. Although it does help to have a rad well reviewed detector....no doubt about it.

OP
OP
eddiecurrent

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesing responses. The dude abides.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rex from Deteknix sent me an email asking if I wanted to review one of their products on Youtube. Me being a Youtube star with just over 500 subscribers....I told him sure...why the hell not.

So he emailed me the next day with a contract that stated I (the reviewer) would not be allowed to say ANYTHING negative about the product. Only the positive stuff. That was rather disappointing and not something I was willing to accept...

Who was the guy that reviewed the Deteknix detector? He took it to the park on his bicycle and couldn't ground balance it so he started whacking it! :laughing7: I gotta find that!

GOT IT!

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I myself do not listen to all the reveiws of puppets,but rather listen to the experience of all the great folks here on Tnet.Top of the line advice and knowlege.

TheHunterGT

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2015
Central California
Detector(s) used
Anfibio Multi - T2 Classic - F75+ - G2+....and MANY more tested and reviewed.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I guess after that you cannot blame a company for making stipulations....

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Who was the guy that reviewed the Deteknix detector? He took it to the park on his bicycle and couldn't ground balance it so he started whacking it! :laughing7:

GOT IT!

That's hilarious! :laughing9:

TrashureSeeker

Jan 11, 2016
Germany
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, EuroAce 350, magnets on ropes
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Who was the guy that reviewed the Deteknix detector? He took it to the park on his bicycle and couldn't ground balance it so he started whacking it! :laughing7: I gotta find that!

GOT IT!

Okay, that is the single most funny review I have ever watched, not just for detectors.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I,m not a "reviewer"but I felt compelled to write a review one time only.in 2014 I picked up a mpx as a bogo,was going to give it to an employee as a first machine.At $700.00 retail I figured it ought to be at least a decent entry machine.It wasn't..It was horrible from basic design,balance and performance.I sent it back and upgraded to an f2 for him.A HUGE upgrade.

Sometimes you dont need a hundred hours on a machine to know you would never swing it for a hundred hours.That was the only machine I ever held that I felt that way about and felt I should give my opposing review to help out a potential newbie.So there is an example of wildly opposing opinions on the same machine.I notice the positive reviews were generally made by folks with little to no expierience with any tectors.I surely wasn't"trolling"that product.wanted to like it,had realistic expectations,price was right....and still knew in minutes it was junk...happens

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe if we all ask we can get MDG to review the MXS and take it to the same park. :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread