WHO KNOWS GOATS?

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
We used a nanny goat to clear our 2 acre house lot, back in the 80's. We got it, when it was about 6 mos old and had it several yrs. It did a very good job. It ate all the junk, briars, saplings, weeds, whatever. I attached a 100' cable between 2 trees about 10-12 ft high. It had a pulley on it with a 12' dog chain attached. This left the goat lots of room. Once that area was cleaned up I would just move one end of the cable to another tree. Maybe you could do something like this between 2 fence posts? Snow fence posts?
They are pretty smart and become a neat pet. It would occasionally get tangled up and ocassionally get loose. It never ran off, and we would usually find it standing on the car roof, if it did get loose. Not good. Worse, was when it wasn't our car roof! Lol

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll loan you Daisy, but you'll have to come pick her up because I won't be up that way until around Halloween.

For JR1.jpg

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hag goats and they are hard to keep in a fence. Chaining one up by a fence won't work well because it will tangle up in it and could possibly choke to death. If your neighbors or you have dogs this is also not good because dogs love to harass things it's their nature. Also chaining one up you would need to water it somehow. The chain will always wind up wrapping around the waterer and make it spill. It's hot outside right now and animals need water like you or I. Your best bet if you can't see dear it or mow it is to spray it, hire someone to keep it clean or just live with it.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Pygmy goats, you need two cause they sorta get lonely. Gave one to a girlfriend a decade or so ago. Just a joke, She made it a pet, let it inside sometimes and never needed a lawnmower again. Thing would come to the screen door, cry to get inside, get loved and then cry to get out. ALSO, if you and KCM ever come to Texas to take one of our beloved LONGHORNS away, you'll both be hangin from a big tree with a sign that says "YANKEE CATTLE RUSTLERS" pinned on your shirts. Get a goat and talk to an Oklahoman. They use em for girlfriends...

maccounty

Jan 7, 2016
SwMissouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Minelab go find 60 Garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugh sorry about all the spell checks in that. I should have read it again before posting it.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
HA! Forget you Austin. I've still got my Texas Passport! (good ONLY for travel within the state of Texas) :tongue3:

If I wanted cattle, I'd probably go for Brahma's. Too much emphasis (for me, anyhow) being put on these Angus beef! Grew up on Longhorn and Brahma. Awesome beef!

Have never had goat meat OR milk, so can't comment good or bad on either.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
HA! Forget you Austin. I've still got my Texas Passport! (good ONLY for travel within the state of Texas) :tongue3:

If I wanted cattle, I'd probably go for Brahma's. Too much emphasis (for me, anyhow) being put on these Angus beef! Grew up on Longhorn and Brahma. Awesome beef!

Have never had goat meat OR milk, so can't comment good or bad on either.

We don't eat Longhorns, we put them in a field and worship them. Cabrito is goat and some folks love eating it. Not me.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Another question.....How do you know there are old goats here?

Sorry, I just can't resist!

Scroll down the "Active Topics" page to the bottom to the list of members on-line. If you see my username, Austin's, Limitool's, Jeff's, or Releventchair's, you'll know there are some old goats here....

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never tried the vinegar for weed killer myself, but have had others tell me it works for them.
With all the space you got, you may need a 50 gal drum. Would probably be about the same cost as buying and maintaining a goat, sans the fertilizer. Good luck and hope you find your solution.

Austin, the Mr used to have goats, many yrs back, when he lived in Ok, LOL. :icon_scratch: :laughing7:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a pygmy goat once. Lil Gotee. I tried putting him on a chain to eat the tumble weeds.
He cried like a baby. I had to bring him back in his yard.

The State here ues goats to eat the salt cedar along the Rio Grande. The salt cedar are not
natural here and damages native habitat. I have not heard how that's going.

Last edited:

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469121633.274239.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469121658.101917.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1469121709.310920.jpg

I know goats:) These are some goats they use for clearing brush here in Ca.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll send my sister up that way for a few weeks, but NO funny business.

She's just there to eat the weeds.

Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 1.37.55 PM.png

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
You sure grow some "interesting" specimens down there on the Mangrove Coast! :laughing7:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I got married the first time (don't ask - was a groupie chick) and moved to the country she got 2 goats. Don't ask me why either. I hated them. Couldn't get close to one of them or turn your back without getting rammed. More than once I went hand to hand with this goat. And many times I'd have to hang onto it all the way to the gate to get away. It hated me and the feeling was mutual. I told her a hundred times to get rid of that damned goat. Nope... Fast forward to next Spring.

I pushed my Custom built 406 SB V-8 Vega out of the garage into the yard. Had a white lacquer w/red pearl flip-flop paint job on it. And it had a one piece fiberglass tilt front end on it. I decided to leave it out when it got dark because I wasn't done cleaning the garage. I got up the next morning and went to work in another car. Came home about 4:30 pm and the damn goat had got out and was standing on the front end of my Vega. I swear it was laughing and smiling at me when I pulled in!!!!! I went in and my wife was sleeping but quickly woke up with me screaming. I told her about the goat and she grabs the camera because SHE WANTS A PIC!!!!!! I grabbed the gun and said get a pic of this..... She's now pissed. 3 choices now. 1. The goat goes. 2. The goat and YOU go. 3. I kill the goat.

She got rid of the goat the next day... it lived.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When I got married the first time (don't ask - was a groupie chick) and moved to the country she got 2 goats. Don't ask me why either. I hated them. Couldn't get close to one of them or turn your back without getting rammed. More than once I went hand to hand with this goat. And many times I'd have to hang onto it all the way to the gate to get away. It hated me and the feeling was mutual. I told her a hundred times to get rid of that damned goat. Nope... Fast forward to next Spring.

I pushed my Custom built 406 SB V-8 Vega out of the garage into the yard. Had a white lacquer w/red pearl flip-flop paint job on it. And it had a one piece fiberglass tilt front end on it. I decided to leave it out when it got dark because I wasn't done cleaning the garage. I got up the next morning and went to work in another car. Came home about 4:30 pm and the damn goat had got out and was standing on the front end of my Vega. I swear it was laughing and smiling at me when I pulled in!!!!! I went in and my wife was sleeping but quickly woke up with me screaming. I told her about the goat and she grabs the camera because SHE WANTS A PIC!!!!!! I grabbed the gun and said get a pic of this..... She's now pissed. 3 choices now. 1. The goat goes. 2. The goat and YOU go. 3. I kill the goat.

She got rid of the goat the next day... it lived.
Goats don't read well.
All that horsepower the poor creature probably thought it was a G.T.O..:laughing7:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goats don't read well.
All that horsepower the poor creature probably thought it was a G.T.O..:laughing7:

Believe me.... (off subject) That goat might have only been missing the "A." confusing it with a G.T.O. and I'll give ya that buddy. But the goat was smarter than my bimbo groupie wife then.

Damn I miss that goat...! :laughing7:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When i was a kid, we had a pet goat that lived in the house with us. This is not something i recommend to to the average person because goats love to jump and climb and in general get into everything. LOL we even had a pet cow but that's another story. Our case was unique in that we had nothing of value and the house we lived in was more of a tin shack with a roof to keep the rain off our heads. If you get a goat and spend any amount of time with it, you may find it hard to give up at a later date. They really are cool animals.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
send her I promise she will remain untouched

NEVER trust a Hoosier...!!!! And what the hell is a Hoosier to begin with. And no I'm goggling it either. When I lived in Michigan from 55' - 94' they were NOT allowed to cross the state line. I doubt they still can... :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread