Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It probably hasn't hit me yet, , but today was my last day on the job. My last official day on the payroll is September 29th. I will be on terminal vacation between now and then. That's 26 years in my pension and full Social Security benefits.
I'm thinking about buying a new Harley between now and next Spring and then taking a ride up to Alaska.
Maybe finally take that Scuba Certification course and go get the treasures that are just out of reach.
I know that I will be doing a lot more hunting then I was doing.
How about you guys? Retired? Retiring soon? What have you done since retirement or what do you want to do?
What's it like to have 6 Saturdays and one Sunday?

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After having two close encounters with alien spacecraft, I bought a house near NORAD. Trying to convince the government that space aliens are coming to kill us all. For relaxation, I metal detect. Come out to Colorado, you can help me dredge my mining claim on the Arkansas river.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on earning your retirement.... I got another 15-20 years to go...
Actually, I retired 20 years ago, from the snow!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I retired two years ago Aug 29th.

I do not regret it! I owe the time to myself. Just relax and dream for a while! No priorities for a month or so. And the get more relaxed! Treasure hunting is relaxing, right?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good going on the retirement thing....yeah just chill out for awhile and decompress, detect, whatever you want to do.

You'll get into a new routine at your own pace.....I lucked out got got an early retirement package many years back and don't regret in the least.

Regards + HH

Bill

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I retired my business (time bandit) in 08. People told me I'd be bored to death. Nope, didn't happen.
I've been busy ever since.
About the Harley: I've owned one for 18 years but riding any more is too concerning. People texting
and being generally distracted make riding too risky.
On average we lose someone we know every year. But I still miss the wind and I know I can't talk you
out of it. The ride has just changed that's all.

Strange but being retired I can't find enough time to do everything I want.
I have a fairly large home and I have just about rebuilt the whole thing.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am quite a ways away but that time will fly fast enough. Relax, take things slow and easy, enjoy more time with family and for God sakes keep moving......

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Semi-Retired. Semi-sane. :thumbsup:

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your retirement ATW. I have been retired for 2 yrs. from UPS after 27 yrs. as a delivery driver. Because I was so young ( 50 ) when I retired from there, I took 4 weeks off and went to work for Napa Auto Parts delivering parts 42 hrs. a week. Its a great 2nd job, and I dont have near the stress or garbage that UPS dished out for my 27 yrs. there. Enough was enough. I do still manage to get out on my Sundays for detecting like I have always done. I will probably really retire in about 7 or 8 yrs. Again, best of luck to you. Ron

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys,, I spoke to my sister earlier today. She told me to start on my Bucket List of Things I Always Wanted to do.
The Temps over the next 4 or 5 days is going to be in the 90's. I think I will be staying close to the A/C

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
The important thing is to stay healthy. Watch a documentary on Netflix titled "Fed Up". It's about the food industry; processed food and sugar. It's an eye opener. Live long and prosper.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I retired in 06' after almost 31 years in the auto industry. I was 49 then and turned 50 a few weeks later. At first I thought it was cool to be able to retire so early. I later learned / realized that it was the auto industry I wanted to get away from... and I now was. I realized it about 6 months later. I really didn't have a thought out plan on how I was going to fill all of the "new" time available now.

The house, property and cars were all paid off so I started to remodel. Did a lot of rooms. I'm a do-it-your-self-er and a jack of all trades. Main hobby was working in the wood shop. I gave a little thought of getting back into profession archery again which I walked away from in 94'. But I'd have to build a shooting range and didn't want to waste money to see if I could still shoot at that level anymore. So out to the wood shop I went and started to build furniture for all my kids and grand kids. I built a lot of things. Then I designed a toy box and built each grand kid their own toy box. My wife, kids and older grand kids all keep saying me you could sell those toy boxes easily. So I built some (10) and they went quickly. Then I did it again and again and still they sold quickly. Then I put an ad online 4 months before Christmas and ended up making 80-90 more of them!!!! This was fun, challenging and I was making some darn good money at that! I also got to listen to any radio station I wanted, walk to work, drink on the job, start when I wanted and quit each day when I wanted.

I just built a much larger shop and have it all organized now with many new saws and working on improved jigs now. Now I'm going to use my past auto assembly experience and go back at it again but much more organized.

POINT BEING... Stay challenged and find something you really enjoy doing. I didn't at first...

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Yeah I retired at 50 also, investment of the heart paid off in spades. I lasted about three years, bought another house, remodeled it, traveled the US, bought all kinds of "toys" to play with. Got bored and went back to work again. I too thought getting up when I felt like it, going to bed when I felt like it, doing something when I felt like it, and so on would be fun. It wasn't after a while. Not having a real reason for those things was like a burr under my saddle. So work took care of that. I get up in time for work, come home and get decent sleep, and plan for things to do on my days off.

I guess just call me a working stiff. A happy one.

OP
OP
against the wind

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I retired in 06' after almost 31 years in the auto industry. I was 49 then and turned 50 a few weeks later. At first I thought it was cool to be able to retire so early. I later learned / realized that it was the auto industry I wanted to get away from... and I now was. I realized it about 6 months later. I really didn't have a thought out plan on how I was going to fill all of the "new" time available now.

The house, property and cars were all paid off so I started to remodel. Did a lot of rooms. I'm a do-it-your-self-er and a jack of all trades. Main hobby was working in the wood shop. I gave a little thought of getting back into profession archery again which I walked away from in 94'. But I'd have to build a shooting range and didn't want to waste money to see if I could still shoot at that level anymore. So out to the wood shop I went and started to build furniture for all my kids and grand kids. I built a lot of things. Then I designed a toy box and built each grand kid their own toy box. My wife, kids and older grand kids all keep saying me you could sell those toy boxes easily. So I built some (10) and they went quickly. Then I did it again and again and still they sold quickly. Then I put an ad online 4 months before Christmas and ended up making 80-90 more of them!!!! This was fun, challenging and I was making some darn good money at that! I also got to listen to any radio station I wanted, walk to work, drink on the job, start when I wanted and quit each day when I wanted.

I just built a much larger shop and have it all organized now with many new saws and working on improved jigs now. Now I'm going to use my past auto assembly experience and go back at it again but much more organized.

POINT BEING... Stay challenged and find something you really enjoy doing. I didn't at first...

That's a great story.
Congratulations on your retirement. lol
Sounds like you are a gifted carpenter. I could get a job tomorrow but for now I'm going to take it easy.
I have a city pension, plus a second pension from Met Life, and full Social Security. Financially, I should be fine. There is also my Veteran's General Vendors License which allows me to set up a table and sell stuff on the streets of NYC.
I'll be 66 in September and all I want to do is travel a little and treasure hunt. If I do make that ride to Alaska,, it will be the 49th state that I have ridden through on a Harley Davidson. Today is my first day off and I'm doing laundry,, lol
Kevin

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I checked my 401K.

I can retire at 69 (I'm 41 now), and live comfortably for approximately 47 minutes.

Thanks for helping me realize the deficit. Need to send my wife to work for a few years, when the kids leave, I guess...
I've seen a bumper sticker that says " According to the Governments calculations, I can retire 5 years after I die ! "

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i still have 6 years until full retirement ( unless I find a gold hoard)

When I grow up I want to be Treasure_Hunter

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck on your retirement. Been retired now since 2005. Had 37 years as a Public Safety Officer, The first 25 were with the K-9 unit. Also managed 28 years with the Air National Guard. I hung on to a part time job as the Animal Control Officer for our town, and large animal rescue for our county. I needed something to keep busy with, along with our farm. Guess we, my wife and I, just enjoy shutting down puppy mills and prosecuting our cruelty cases. We still manage to do things for ourselves, and I think this is the last year for Animal Control as we want to see some of our United States. Good luck with what ever you decide to do, and really enjoy your self.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great question!

I have three more years till I retire from the college! Then, I will only teach one or two courses a semester to keep in the field and continue my research.

I will go metal detecting every day I can! Until then, June - August, I detect every single day; sometimes for an hour but usually for five! Very relaxing and centers me from the "real" world nonsense.

Doc

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had heart surgery and retired at 62. Dont like it cause the house has to be clean before the Warden gets home or else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions