Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and asked them what the city rules are on metal detecting and they said I can only detect on my own property......REALLY!:icon_scratch:
You find fools in every town and city town halls. You are asking for trouble. Do not ask anybody what the rules and laws are. If you are harass by the police, tell them to read the laws to you word by word. Take the advice of members who are expect in treasure hunting.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the fastest way to get a no detecting law on the books is to ask if a detecting law is on the books.nearly every park I have ever seen had a rules sign...no alcohol,dogs on leash etc.if it doesnt say no detecting....detect.If asked to stop...take a break.I can find
verbage to decline me the right to detect on my own property if I look hard enough.

let sleeping dogs lie,learn to use a probe....:occasion14:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
He was just following the rules.:laughing7:

View attachment 1339212

Haha, Yup, "call 811 before you dig". Which was obviously meant for heavy equipment digging trenchlines, pipes, etc..

There was actually a forum story where someone actually was shown this at a city hall, by the person telling them "no". When the md'r objected and pointed out that he'd "only be digging 6", not 6 ft. ", they leafed through the pamphlet, and told him that the mandate didn't specify how deep. Just said "all digging".

Ok, let's have a show of hands: How many people here have dug weeds out of their home garden w/o calling 811 first ? Shame on y'all ! :)

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called my city hall a few days ago and ask if detecting was allowed in the city park and was given permission to hunt 2 of the 3 parks as long as I dig nice holes and no more than 12 inches deep.

OP
OP
B

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe if I just stick to the play area and the area around the bleachers at the softball fields they won't mind so much.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
boojababy, when it comes to where you can and can't dig, there are a few things to consider. Unless there are large signs saying you can't metal detect, assume you can but do it at low traffic times. Sunday early mornings are good.

Do your research...quietly! Look at park ordinances online, if going to a park that has no restrictions, print that list of ordinances and keep them ON your person when you detect. If any busy-bodies(besides police) approach you, show them the list and explain, in a polite manner, that there is nothing listed preventing metal detecting.

This worked for me when a city park maintenance guy ran me out of a park. I came back and he tried it again saying he will call the police. I whipped out the list and showed him the ordinance about how it was illegal for him to interfere with anyone using the park, and that it was also illegal for him to intimidate me and try to force me to leave. At that point he said, "we will see about that", and left. I never heard back from him.

If it is a policeman, treat him with respect and make sure you comply. Wait a few weeks and try again. Most cops that are trying to get you to stop, are usually there because some busy body ratted on you. I can't stress enough to be polite and understanding that the cop is just doing his job. IF, it is a cop with an attitude, then, if you are up to it, always ask for their supervisor. Don't get snippy back.

People will turn a blind eye in most cases.

Golden rule: If it is posted, then don't do it. Otherwise, assume it is fine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions