I called city hall

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pretty much all cities have some generic bylaws stating that disturbing grass, shrubs, digging, defacing, etc is not permitted.

It's a bit of a gray area odds are most city employees would rather say no than to check out the actual bylaw and see how it applies.

Heck where I live I know most of the public works employees and when they see me they stop and ask me if I've found anything interesting.

Regards + HH

Bill

and asked them what the city rules are on metal detecting and they said I can only detect on my own property......REALLY!:icon_scratch:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
and asked them what the city rules are on metal detecting and they said I can only detect on my own property......REALLY!:icon_scratch:

Since they could promptly provide you with that answer did you ask them where you could find that Law, City Code or Ordnance?

If not then you need to call them back, check it out for your self and go from there.

If you ask me it sounds like you got in touch with someone who thinks Guns Kill people and not people.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Next time, do you he research yourself. You will likely find an amendment restricting detecting in playing fields and environmentally sensitive areas, and that's about it.
Now that you are on their radar, it will be harder for you to remain discreet.

OP
OP
B

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting for years (with permission) for years with no problem.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is what you get for asking. One of the worst newbie mistakes. Looks like bathroom duty the next couple of weeks for you! Now be a pirate. :skullflag:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
???....so, now there is a problem? What rules were you looking for? I am confused.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting for years (with permission) for years with no problem.

If you have "been detecting for years with no problem" than why would you call city hall and what the rules are?

OP
OP
B

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have "been detecting for years with no problem" than why would you call city hall and what the rules are?
In the past I have detected no problem but last week I was told by a cop while detecting in the park that because of other people leaving holes digging was not allowed, I thought maybe the rules had changed and that the responsible thing would be to learn them....I guess not.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would have told the cop to make sure he catches and tickets the guy not filling his holes.
That you are a GOOD detector and don't do that. You will be sure to call them if you see that guy.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would have told the cop to make sure he catches and tickets the guy not filling his holes.
That you are a GOOD detector and don't do that. You will be sure to call them if you see that guy.

LOL! :laughing7: I would have tasered you immediately, then radioed a K9 unit to have the dog bite you just because. 8-)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK [FONT=&quot]boojababy[/FONT]
- Police Encounter rule #1

Po-Po: You can't do that here.

You: Oh, OK. My wife (sister; sister-n-law; neighbor's wife) lost her wedding band here yesterday and I'm just trying to help.

Po-Po: Sorry, you can't do that here

You: Ok. Is there a special person I sjhould talk to about getting a permit or permission?

Po-Po: I have no idea, try City Hall

You: OK - Then you pack it up and come back at dawn.

OP
OP
B

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time, do you he research yourself. You will likely find an amendment restricting detecting in playing fields and environmentally sensitive areas, and that's about it.
Now that you are on their radar, it will be harder for you to remain discreet.
Where in the city ordinances do I look for detecting/digging rules?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd say somewhere between the first line and the last.

Even if this has recently become an ordinance, take some of the NON-valuable finds and LOTS of dug trash targets with you to city hall, explain that you have been doing this for years without incident and ask for special permission, or for the rules to be modified so that exceptions can be made.

Another thing you could do is simply go to a different, nearby town.....AFTER checking what their rules/codes are.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Where in the city ordinances do I look for detecting/digging rules?

Try your park and rec. dept. website. Ours are online, perhaps yours are too.

OP
OP
B

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say somewhere between the first line and the last.

Even if this has recently become an ordinance, take some of the NON-valuable finds and LOTS of dug trash targets with you to city hall, explain that you have been doing this for years without incident and ask for special permission, or for the rules to be modified so that exceptions can be made.

Another thing you could do is simply go to a different, nearby town.....AFTER checking what their rules/codes are.
I don't drive so I'm kinda stuck in my own town.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
[I called city hall"....]and asked them what the city rules are on metal detecting and they said I can only detect on my own property......REALLY!

In the past I have detected no problem but last week I was told by a cop while detecting in the park that because of other people leaving holes digging was not allowed, I thought maybe the rules had changed .....

2 things:

1) Anytime a cop or gardener etc.... says "no because of holes": Don't be quick to assume there was ever actually any cases of that. It's often-time simply the go-to mental image that a busy-body has, when they see a guy with a detector. It doesn't mean there was ever necessarily any cases of it. And it CERTAINLY doesn't mean a new rule was invented at city hall saying "no detecting".

2) And if you're skittish, you look it up for yourself. Lest you run-afoul of the "easy-answer pencil-pusher" type answer.

The rules on where I can and can not dig.

Oh, well let me save you some time right now then: There is going to be rules for "no digging" in every single town, across the entire USA. Even if not using the word "dig", it will be things like "deface", "alter", "molest", "destroy", etc..... If you think those things automatically preclude you, then give it up now. If you call city hall asking "hi can I dig in the park?", they will OF COURSE say "no".

But if you're not leaving any trace (which , as you saw, seems to the issue that cop had), then presto, you're not running afoul of those things. Sure, maybe he's not convinced. Ok, fine then: Go when he's not there (after lip service and a 2-week "rest"). You're simply not going to get every last person on the earth to love and adore you .

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was just following the rules.:laughing7:

dig.jpg

Top Member Reactions