Anyone else in pain after detecting?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I could go and hire five 18 year olds to dig for me!

Scutterfuzz

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2014
Detector(s) used
At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Train don't strain" Emerson P. Smith. Take a break go in small increments and strive for overall health and conditioning.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DEUS is a feather weight machine compared to my CTX or E-Trac. I use the hip mount kit for the Excalibur, so in the water it is weightless.
It's the up and down of digging that will take it's toll on the leg muscles. I take Magnesium to keep the cramps away.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was doing good until August 2014 when a distracted driver hit my truck and flipped it over. He fled the scene on foot but was later apprehended. Several back procedures later and it is now February, 2016 and I get rear ended by another hit and run driver. The police never did catch this one. If you can call it lucky, both accidents happened on the job and are being covered by worker's comp. But, I can't swing my DFX for more than an hour without resting. And getting up after digging a target would make a good Youtube video. That's one good thing about my Lesche shovel, it is sturdy enough to support me! Hopefully a couple more nerve burnings and I won't feel the pain so I can hunt a little longer. I am considering the XP Deus because of it's light weight. Oh yeah, I am only 65.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
My career is among the most physically demanding gigs out there, There isn't a day that something isn't hurting.
Aleve. All day strong, all day long.
When I am hunting, there is no pain, I am locked in. After the hunt, I take a muscle relaxer, and wash it down with a 6 pack. Don't judge me.

It say's right on the bottle, do not drink alcohol while taking this product! I'll have another:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a flooring contractor who will be 63 in September.........I hurt every where every day anyhow, sooooooo..............:dontknow::BangHead::tongue3:

Ok, seriously, I stay physically active, so unless I tweak a knee (meniscus) or overwork my arthritic right wrist the old body usually co-operates. I have found that a wrist brace with a metal plate helps with stability while swinging the coil and digging. They are available at most medical supply stores or pharmacies. Also, look into a joint supplement. The one I recommend is CH Alpha............
Good luck and good health............:thumbsup:

Wait till you reach 75.:laughing7:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm pain after purchasing the MX sport in the left side, Most have felt it to be a pain much lower and toward the back side. The extra weight would do it. Joint supplements and topical cream like Blue Emu work for me.:laughing7:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When detecting, I swap and use both left and right hands for swinging the detector.

This. Helps with muscle balance, tendonitis, blisters, etc. I usually do one day with the left next day with the right. It did take me an hour or so to get used to my non dominant hand but now its just as good as the other.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem is after about an hour my left side abdomen is killing me. Everytime I go detecting I get a side ache now. Mostly left hip and lower abdomen on the left side.

Do you have your finds/trash/digger, etc. hanging from your belt? If so try adjusting the position to eliminate the pressure point. My left hip gets really sore from a water bottle hanging on that side. If I adjust the position a few inches the pain goes away!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take aleve before heading out because something will hurt, only a question of when. I can't kneel, bad knees, so my back will hurt at some point.
I have to take a couple of sit down breaks, during my 3-4 hour foray. I only throw in the towel when 3 separate body parts are complaining....loudly.
Then i look to see how far the truck is....and hope i can make it that far! .....i may need to aquire a truck that will come and get me.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Msbeepbeep, Are you trying to give me competition ?? :laughing7: I's knows da feeelin.!! With me it's my quads and my back. I take an extra dose of Morphine before going out. Then I spend a few hours massaging my legs when I get home and take some more Morphine. Only thing that works. Crazy. I knew sooner or later someone woulsd ask this question. :laughing7: PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tendentious in both elbows, Here this time of year I'm busy at work and swinging more on the rivers!!! We have a Rub of marijuana that helps a lot to get out with lasts for a couple of hours wishI could get the first one we got it worked better called mussel melt legal here in WA state later I will slow down to digging the Dirt and Swinging Less

paul11

Jul 4, 2016
Essex UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 11
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Took my Sea Hunter out last night for my very first go at this hobby, left wrist and shoulder not so good this morning after digging all those holes with the sand scoop.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suffered from Tennis elbow my 1st season. I was hunting a virgin park that had been undetected since it's inception back in the 70's. every 3rd swing I was hitting targets. The place is about 2.5 acres and I was swinging at lightning speed. There were some eight hour hunts I averaged $8 an hour. I did have to slow down when the elbow flared up. The park gave me over $200 in clad. I had to empty the nail apron occasionally to lighten the load. If I find a target laden old permission, digging plugs with the Lesche hand digger, I really feel it the next day when I can't move my fingers on either hand when I first get up. When I swing the F75LTDSE with the 12"x 15" coil, I am okay for a 2 hour hunt, but if I am hunting longer than 2 hours I use my make shift harness. It's a set of Army LBE with a Bungee cord. Works nice.

20151105_191436.jpg 20151105_191701.jpg 20151105_191948.jpg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
minelab_pro-swing.jpg The Minelab Pro Swing 45 can be used left or right hand swingers and takes the weight off your arm.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions