Advice - WHITES MXT/TESSARO.

c0lbski

Jul 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gang!

New to the hobby and new to the board! Looking for some quick advice on purchasing some detectors. I have a co-worker who is moving and they need some money for the move. They are offering me a Whites MXT Standard E-tracker series and a Tessaro Compadre for $200.00. Both have hardly been used and look extremely clean. Thoughts on this deal? Thanks and happy hunting!

Last edited:

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used a Tessaro before, but have 5 White's machine's. You can't go wrong with White's, and their service is just awesome. Love my White's. Good luck with your choice.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TNET and very good price for two manchines, also see if he still has the operator's manuals that came with them - I say jump on this deal and there are many on this forum that can help you out learning how to operate both machines. Best of luck to you!

Texas ED

OP
OP
C

c0lbski

Jul 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all. I'm pretty happy about this opportunity. Have a lot of old miner camps out in silver city, ID that I'm going to run through. Can't wait to put these things to use. Will be sure to post my findings!

OP
OP
C

c0lbski

Jul 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used a Tessaro before, but have 5 White's machine's. You can't go wrong with White's, and their service is just awesome. Love my White's. Good luck with your choice.

Thank you! I'm thrilled about this opportunity.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello cOlbski,

For that price for two detectors, I would grab them both! The Tesoro will get you detecting in minutes.

Have fun and enjoy the journey!

GL & HH

Doc

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Yup, Grab them "BOTH". The MXT is a great machine. It is one level less than my DFX but it WILL go deep and it's very sensitive and accurate ok. Make sure you get the Operations Manuals for BOTH machines. With the Whites, if it ever breaks Whites will fix it for FREE for LIFE. Tesoro won't. Tesoro charges for every repair ok. I've been using Whites machines since the 1960's. I know my stuff ok. I've used the Tesoro Toltec 100. Good machine. I just don't like their Warranty ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

Digzit2

Jan 2, 2016
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics t2 se,Deteknix X pointer angus mackirk explorer,keene a51a.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would buy them and not think twice.I have a mxt and it is a very good machine.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had both for years and would jump at that offer. The MXT is a bit heavy, but very capable. The Compadre is light, simple and fun to use in tot lots and the like and surprisingly effective for a low end detector.
luvsdux

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with everyone else. If he is offering both detectors combined for $200, I wouldn't hesitate.

Pixeljunkie

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2016
Larned, Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know if my opinion means very much but I have been pricing detectors and 200 each seems like a good deal to me. If you can get them both for 200 you better get them both. If not you will be wishing you did for years to come.

By the way I am so new that I got a ways to go to say I am a newbie. Just traded for detector and might be swinging it for the first time ever tonight or tomorrow. Supposed to be 105 or so the next couple of days with high humidity.

OP
OP
C

c0lbski

Jul 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you thank you! I'm so happy that I'll finally have a couple of metal detectors. I've been wanting them for quite some time and I've been waiting for a screaming deal. Can't pass it up. Questions regarding the battery life of the Whites MXT. Would you all recommend just buying the regular duracell/energizer batteries? Or do you recommend buying rechargeable batteries?

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they are working properly, that's a steal for those two machines. :thumbsup: The MXT is a very capable detector... one of White's best through the years.

Regular batteries are fine.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with everyone else that you should scoop up the MXT and Compadre quick at that price! Heck, that is about half the price of the MXT alone and they are great machines. They both might have a little difficulty in the hot mineralized grounds around the old Miner's camps but make a few decent finds or one big find and then you can purchase a White's GMT that will handle the hot soil.

As far as batteries go, although more expensive in the short run, I believe that brand name sets of "AA" batteries will give you better performance than rechargeable and will be less likely to give you problems with iffy signals and tuning problems which is somewhat common with rechargeable batteries that won't take or hold a full charge. I always test the batteries for correct voltage before I install them as I don't want problems because one or two batteries have lower voltage than what they are supposed to have. I can tolerate one in a brand new pack being a little low but if two or more are low, then they go back to the store where I purchased them.

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread