Snake protector

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I should have explained better. They are mostly going to work on the road up the mountain. At the top there is a well, capped. They want to camp there for a few nights. So, they plan to clear a nice big spot for the tents. Also they are taking the Polaris XP Ranger and want to cut a few trails and explore. If they have time, they are going to clean up the old cemetery. They are going to keep it as natural as possible, but do want to be able to get around up there. I think we are just a little paranoid about the snakes. Lots or horror stories, and like I said, we do not have them here.

Thanks for the clarification! While Rattlesnakes and Copperheads could be a problem, in West Virginia, Black Bears are probably more of a concern this time of year due to Berries and especially Poke Berries being ripe or ripening and especially so the Sows with Cubs. I have been charged by Sows with Cubs twice but have had several other very close encounters.

For camping out, you can lay an old rope (the kind like the Cowboys used to rope cattle and horses) around the tent or where you sleep to keep the snakes away or circle the same with Moth Balls. Not much will keep a nosy or hungry Black Bear away at night, so it's always a good idea to have a firearm handy. A Pepper Spray barrier made around the camp might help and keep a good Campfire going.

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions