Hunting random fields

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Altereddezignz,

Random fields can be problematic if you do not have any history of the property. First Google Earth the site and look at it from an aerial view. Try to locate a place where an old homestead once existed.

At the site, I walk around either with my detector or just to see what might be in the surface (stones, pottery...etc.). If I find some, I begin detecting in a spiral pattern from that location; looking for keepers.

You may wish to grid the location (east/west and north/south) or as I do many times a random walk of the area; looking for "hot spots"

To answer your first question, I would run the machine wide open to get a feel of the ground below your coil. Then discriminate as needed! I myself, when relic hunting run the machines wide open; like to hear everything in the ground and let my brain make the decision to dig or not.

Regards,

Doc

GL & HH

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Altereddezignz,

Random fields can be problematic if you do not have any history of the property. First Google Earth the site and look at it from an aerial view. Try to locate a place where an old homestead once existed.

At the site, I walk around either with my detector or just to see what might be in the surface (stones, pottery...etc.). If I find some, I begin detecting in a spiral pattern from that location; looking for keepers.

You may wish to grid the location (east/west and north/south) or as I do many times a random walk of the area; looking for "hot spots"

To answer your first question, I would run the machine wide open to get a feel of the ground below your coil. Then discriminate as needed! I myself, when relic hunting run the machines wide open; like to hear everything in the ground and let my brain make the decision to dig or not.

Regards,

Doc

GL & HH

Thank you for the info!! I have never done an open field hunt but planning on it.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it a plowed field? If so here's a little trick I use to find home sites. I drive the road around the field just after sunrise or before sunset and look for the glitter of sunlight on broken glass. Then I walk to the spots and check for any other signs. I can usually tell if the glass is old or not and hopefully there will be pottery shards or even bricks, whole or broken. If I find good evidence that the site is old I hunt it pretty hard. Questionable sites I don't hunt until I have worked the good sites.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Research is important. You would try to learn how long the area may have had people there. Old pictures does help if available. But doesnt sound like that is the case. I have been lucky to find a old local hand who can give me some information usually. Now just set a diagonal line across the field if you want a quick section of green trash. Nails and tin indicate a building was there at one time. Old large trees, good place to start. Short of just walking a grid back and forth, you may just want to hunt the edges first. Good luck happy hunting.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info everyone. This was a more general question as we have thousands and thousands of farm acres that i can have access to at any time.. So i was just looking for a starting point. Again thank you all for the information. I will put it to good use.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread