Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I wrote this out a few years ago, but it bears repeating:

Any time we md'rs read a treasure legend, they're always fun to read. And they always seem iron-clad true. Who can doubt them, once you've thrown in a few faded newspaper clippings, symbols on rocks, etc... eh ? And how about those stories that your well-meaning friends and relatives pass on to you (once they find out you're into md'ing). They know a treasure they heard about, and they spill the fabulous story that just awaits the first guy to try that cave, or farm or whatever with a detector.

Consider the following true story:

A friend of mine was hitting an oldtown sidewalk tearout project in his city years ago. The workers were tearing out, and replacing each section , all in the same day. The project took several weeks. D/t they did the entire multiple block area, working their way up one side of the downtown district, and back down the other. So in order to hit the dirt before they cemented it over, he was forced to hunt on their lunch hour, while the dirt sat exposed.

Eventually , the workers became curious. And would come over to see what he was finding. My friend "greased the wheels" by passing out common V nickels, IH's, etc... to the workers. They were amazed!

One day, my friend found some sort of amulet pendant thing, about the size of a chess piece. It was in the shape of an owl. It was gold in color, and had some sort of red jewel things for the eyes. When the workers came to see his daily finds that day, he showed them the owl thing. He mused: "It might be gold" (on account of the gold color). And pointing to the eyes he said: "They might be rubies". And then mused "could be from the 1870s/80s" (as that was the age of some of the coins from this stretch of block). Needless to say, the workers were amazed once again.

That night, my friend got home and sorted out his finds. When he got to the owl thing, he cleaned it and studied it. Turns out it was just gold plated. Not gold. And turns out the red eyes were just glass chips, not rubies. So it turned out it was just cheap 1920s costume jewelry. So he promptly threw it in the trash.

The next day, my friend was back out again trying his luck. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see someone on a tractor who kept watching him. This was apparently some new worker, who hadn't previously been on this job. Eventually the worker got brave enough to come over and ask why my friend was finding. Turns out that.... this day.... he hadn't found anything. Just a few pieces of junk so far.

So the worker started telling my friend how .... the day before .... another md'r had been there and "found gold coins!" My friend was startled! He immediately thought : "Oh no! Someone must've come by, after I left, and found a gold coin I must've missed" So he pumped the worker for information. The worker launched into the story of coins from the 1800s, gold, silver, etc... Then he let out a curious detail about the mysterious md'r: He said the word "owl". Immediately my friend realized that this worker was talking about HIM !

So he alerted the worker: "Hey that was me you're talking about. And no, I didn't find fistfulls of coins, just a couple. And no, none of them were gold. And no, the owl wasn't gold either, it was just junk".

But the worker would not be dissuaded. He insisted, therefore, that someone else must've come along after he'd left. How did he know ? Because he had it on reliable witnesses. Who had seen it the day before, with their own eyes. They'd all been talking around the water cooler that morning, and this new worker was listening to them.

See how quick the telephone game devolves into total silliness ? AND THAT WAS JUST A SINGLE NIGHT. Add 100 yrs. to the story, and guess what happens ? Then 100 yrs. from now, all you have to do is thrown in a faded newspaper clipping about how the downtown sidewalks were torn out. And then add in this guy's story, who .... afterall, had it from eyewitnesses! Who were duly appointed hired workers , by the city, to be there. Then someone will ask permission to tear out the sidewalks "to get the rest of the gold". The city will deny such a request. And you know what that means don't you ?? ALL THE MORE PROOF of a conspiracy to keep the gold hidden.

So whenever I read on T'net of the various legends, and persons who "got a tip from a neighbor", etc.... I sometimes wonder ...... :)

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point.

The stories I'm skeptical of are the hundreds of stories where the possee catches up to the robbers, big shoot out, robbers killed, but they must have buried the money, because the possee couldn't find it.

I think, by reading between the lines, the volunteer possee catches them, kills them, and splits the money, instead of taking it back to the fat cat banker who probably hadn't risked his life as the possee did.

I'm sure some got buried, but put yourself in the possee's position, what would you do?

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... the hundreds of stories where the possee catches up to the robbers, big shoot out, robbers killed, but they must have buried the money, because the possee couldn't find it....

Haha, yup. All the treasure magazines from the 1960s and '70s were filled with that genre of stories. After awhile, they all sort of sounded the same, eh ? You know the song & dance:

The dying miner drags himself into the wild west saloon. The lone survivor of an indian attack. Curious on-lookers gather around the guy, who spills the story of fabulous riches at his mine. They take him to the doctor, but he dies of his injuries before being able to reclaim his riches. And here's the 5 clues to where it was: ... blah blah blah ".

A friend of mine even sent in a story for publication. In order to get the $50 for accepted articles. Started with real names and events, and the rest of all made up fancy. We got a good laugh out of that, wondering how many people went looking for it ? Hey, if it's in print, it has to be true, right ?

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, but ain't it fun to read and dream? J. Frank Dobie made a career of collecting folktales and relating them to us gullible Texans. It's said that his classes at the University of Texas filled quickly, but that students lined the hall outside to just listen to him. Of all the treasure stories he related, to my knowledge, none have ever been found. And people are still looking and swear that the treasure is still out there...

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha, yup. All the treasure magazines from the 1960s and '70s were filled with that genre of stories. After awhile, they all sort of sounded the same, eh ? You know the song & dance:

The dying miner drags himself into the wild west saloon. The lone survivor of an indian attack. Curious on-lookers gather around the guy, who spills the story of fabulous riches at his mine. They take him to the doctor, but he dies of his injuries before being able to reclaim his riches. And here's the 5 clues to where it was: ... blah blah blah ".

Mark Twain was the first -- he wrote about the "lost cement mine," with the entire dying miner theme, where the gold was shot through and cemented in red lava, someplace near the Devils Post Pile in the southern Sierra Nevada. And the list goes on.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I agree. Most treasure legends are pure bunkum. Yet, if you look at the record, once in a while a big treasure is found. It is that dream of being the finder of the next one that keeps people looking.

Use common sense. Someone else said one thing to look for is, has anyone actually found gold in the alleged location. In most cases, no, not a speck of gold has been found. That should give you a clue.

In the place where I think there is a large treasure, around 1910 a neck piece on a buried skeleton was found and was used to buy a new church bell for the local church. I have a 1908 photo of the damaged church tower, and the person who reported this while he still lived was three times president of the community, not a drunk. His mother was a Moctezuma.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
piegrande. Sure. I too have several stories that were indeed true finds. They are bound to happen from time to time. But that fact that "some are true" does not lend credence to those that are not. Or put another way, the fact that some end up true, does not mean that "all legends and fanciful tales should be given credibility".

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wholeheartedly Disagree !

Being Skeptical of All Treasure Stories Tells Me your not really a " Treasure Hunter "

Being Skeptical can also prevent you from researching properly, If at all.

in My opinion

you should Consider All Treasure stories are Based on a truth.

Exaggerated Probably , added to with false info Probably,
But still. The Story came from somewhere.

I'm not going to repeat myself any Farther, by Telling you of 2 Treasure stories,
I could have very easily have Passed up on that turned out to be my 2 Greatest
hunts in my Life.
But I don't like to type all that up again Or repeat myself.

But Plain & Simple.

If your Really Into treasure Hunting & not just a Kill Joy.

If you want to Find Treasure.

Research !

sure you will hit many Dead ends.
But you need to Start somewhere & Believe !!

by the way this is Treasurent.

Not a Downers Forum for Skeptics :unhappysmiley:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for the story, a very nice read!

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wholeheartedly Disagree !

Being Skeptical of All Treasure Stories Tells Me your not really a " Treasure Hunter "

Being Skeptical can also prevent you from researching properly, If at all.

in My opinion

you should Consider All Treasure stories are Based on a truth.

Exaggerated Probably , added to with false info Probably,
But still. The Story came from somewhere.

I'm not going to repeat myself any Farther, by Telling you of 2 Treasure stories,
I could have very easily have Passed up on that turned out to be my 2 Greatest
hunts in my Life.
But I don't like to type all that up again Or repeat myself.

But Plain & Simple.

If your Really Into treasure Hunting & not just a Kill Joy.

If you want to Find Treasure.

Research !

sure you will hit many Dead ends.
But you need to Start somewhere & Believe !!

by the way this is Treasurent.

Not a Downers Forum for Skeptics :unhappysmiley:

You're right Jeff, I guess the trick is to spend our valuable, and limited, time on the best ones.

How about links to your 2 big ones, I'd love to read about them.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... you should Consider All Treasure stories are Based on a truth.

Was the "treasure" in the particular story I tell existing, or not ? Of course there was no "treasure" there, as you see. But notice it's "based on a truth" though. So I'm not sure I'm following you Jeff.

And notice that 100 yrs. from now, once my friend has passed away, who will be there to show that the story does not mean "treasure" ? No one. Unless of course my friend were to write his memoirs, or I were to give city name and dates here that get archived on the net. But let's say, for example, that the worker fellow passed on the story to his sons and generations that followed. Or wrote his memoirs. Notice there's no one there to tell the rest of the story. Only the fun 'treasure' side is told. Yet as you can see, there is no treasure.

So it seems to me that many many more can be of this same genesis. So wouldn't a healthy skepticism be a wise step for a treasure hunters ?

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I'll post another story of how treasure legends go awry , in another thread :)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're right Jeff, I guess the trick is to spend our valuable, and limited, time on the best ones.

How about links to your 2 big ones, I'd love to read about them.

The Treasure story
DSCF0002.JPG

I read between the Lines & Figured the Real Treasure was here

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/best-treasurenet/379988-united-airlines-dc-6-flight-624-a.html

the Other Involves every type of Coin & relic & Gold & silver jewelry that I could be surprised by seemed to be
at a Spot where Rumors said there were Slot Machines Thrown.
I didn't Write up the story as a whole.
But the Skeptics Laughed till I found 2 of the slots.
One with a few Merks still in it.

Sure It wasn't Gold Bars or Pirate Treasure.

But Treasure All the same when you can Laugh at the Nay sayers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread