1700s Schoolhouse permission

aaron.cieply

Aug 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm so excited to have permission to hunt the foundation of an old 1700s Schoolhouse which is located on private property! Any advice? uploadfromtaptalk1469452322470.png

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bspkayaker

Feb 7, 2015
Conway SC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Aaron, my advise is to take me along in your hunt, kidding:laughing7:,

The site, especially close to the foundation will contain a lot of iron and junk, so you will need to do a lot of digging out the trash to unveil the goods. You will need to have patience as some foundations are more trashy than others.
You might want to concentrate on the entry area of the old schoolhouse first

A lot of people that detect foundations become too impatient with the trash and leave goodies for the ones who do have the patience. Do not give it just a once over, you might strike out one day at the site, but can become productive another day, dependent on soil conditions, etc.

I generally find relics and coins even at sites that have seen a lot of different detectorists,

Enjoy and good luck, as those kind of opportunities are drying up these days,

- Brian

OP
OP
aaron.cieply

aaron.cieply

Aug 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Aaron, my advise is to take me along in your hunt, kidding:laughing7:,

The site, especially close to the foundation will contain a lot of iron and junk, so you will need to do a lot of digging out the trash to unveil the goods. You will need to have patience as some foundations are more trashy than others.
You might want to concentrate on the entry area of the old schoolhouse first

A lot of people that detect foundations become too impatient with the trash and leave goodies for the ones who do have the patience. Do not give it just a once over, you might strike out one day at the site, but can become productive another day, dependent on soil conditions, etc.

I generally find relics and coins even at sites that have seen a lot of different detectorists,

Enjoy and good luck, as those kind of opportunities are drying up these days,

- Brian
Hahah!! Thanks! Are you in NE?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure to not leave holes and to pack out all the trash so the owner can see.

Good luck! Looks like a fun site to hit.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; You may want to look for the area where the kids played during recess baack then or where they ate their lunches under the trees as well ok. Good Luck. Post the pictures ok. PEACE:RONB

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it the 1784 or the 1742 schoolhouse? Any idea of the circumstances of the structures, ie moved, burnt down, etc? Looking at the images, this structure does not appear to have a foundation, simply stacked flagstone.

Look at soil production rates for the area. It is not uncommon for grass covered areas to produce soil at 1/8 inch or more per year, so that would mean artifacts would be almost 3 feet down. Pretty green in that area, so expect some good accumulation. What has been the use of the location.

Current trees are not really an indicator, unless they are 200 years old, but then the root system grown over the artifacts. Perhaps the location of the privy?

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread