Persona non Grata

Claim/Fence Jumper

Tenderfoot
Jun 29, 2007
Madison Lake, Mn
Detector(s) used
Lobo LST
Hello, this is my first post. I've been reading this site for some time and love it.
Unfortunately, I am about to throw my lst into the toilet and give up.
Trash? It is all I find, and it really is starting to piss me off.
Two years of .22 shell casings. Lawn-mowered 'luminum cans.
Until last weekend, at a 1860's spot.
She said, "That looks like a wire honey."
"No, its a root."
"Darling, its a wire, don't cut through it."
"Its a root."
Well, it did have a core, and some fiberous material. I didn't have my glasses on. What a drag. I tell myself it was an old clothesline.
Someone's Fiber Optic line may have just gone South.
Gold? Treasure? Found a sardine can once.
30-some-odd-million pull tabs.
I do better at the blackjack table.
Viking treasure? The Vikings won't make the playoffs this year.
Money? Found a $20 in the pocket of my winter coat last Spring; bought a case of beer.
Rings? Onion rings ain't bad, as long as the ketchup is Heintz. Hunts blows, as does House Recipe.
Later.

wesfrye53

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
Springfield, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202
Heck no..you can't quit now. You commited to a long term contract when you disclosed your brand of Ketchup! ;D Bllleeeep...Folks, we have a winner!

Stick around and have some fun with the rest of us junk/trash hunters.

Seriously, this is a wonderful site with a lot of fine folks; some will cut up with you but everyone will give you tips, suggestions, etc. Glad to have ya!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
we here at dirtaholics can help you --we're here to help you find stuff--trust me you can do it--never found nothing thats very odd not even clad change or junk jewelry? if so thats real odd--ever thought that where your looking might be part of the problem---not your search skills with the detector per say but the location---metal detecting is like buying real estate ---location,location,location--- I find the the right locations are often the old locations,and even then you have to find the "better" finds areas at those locations---basically a bit of good research on the areas history and where events happened and where certain buildings were will open up alot of great "hot" spots for those better finds that you seek--look for places were money changed hands or where alot of people were at ---an old lot thats been a "farmers market" type spot on the weekends for years---small battle spots (not major ones but small camps and little fights too small to get a "park" named after it) but were fighting took place just the same---old ghost town areas ---also remember --its about fun---"not" oh boy am I going to get rich from this---our hobby can make some folks money --it can happen but most likely it will not be "big bucks"---to find major "stuff" in most all cases requires lots and lots of research work (which most folks find boring but I rather like )----but there are lost of "small but nice items" like modern day rings ,jewelry and such out there waiting for you and who knows today might just be your "lucky" day----Ivan

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Tell us what detector you are using and the settings you use it at along with where you are hunting.All of us find plenty of pulltabs/nails.Just don't give up.Tomorrow might be the day for that find of a lifetime!Stay upbeat and HH

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Remember we call it "hunting" and not "finding" and the thrill is in the hunt not the find. And all that other stuff we say because we can't find anything but crape or hand-disinterred junque a lot of the time.

See the thread http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,87678.0.html

You'll see where we really are in terms of finds.

Welcome to the forum. We'll do what we can to help.

Daryl

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
BioProfessor said:
Remember we call it "hunting" and not "finding" and the thrill is in the hunt not the find.

Agreed, if I pay for the cost of my batteries and the gas to get to the park with the clad I find it's a good day. :)

Bodyguard

Mar 11, 2007
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
BH Sharpshooter II
warsawdaddy said:
Tell us what detector you are using and the settings you use it at along with where you are hunting.
I agree with Warsaw Daddy..... but I have to admit, I won't use your type of detector, with those settings, and I'll stay FAR AWAY from the places you've been hunting.

Seriously.... I've been doing this for about 4 months now, and have found very little, even in the way of clad, to show for it. On the other hand, I've had a HECK of a lot of fun. I will also say, that the expertise I've found at this forum has me finding twice the junk that I did before. AMAZING ::)

K

Kentucky Kache

Being a T'net member will help you stay excited about treasure hunting. And it really is more about the thrill of the hunt. Of course, you know that if you've been at it for that long.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont judge your success by wealth alone.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Where have you been hunting? I have to admit a few weeks ago I was ready to throw in the towel, then I went out with two of my kids didn't find much but had a blast and now I am back in the swing of things. (pardon the pun)

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,
Just what kind of talk is that about the Vikings. Year after year I expect them to be in the playoffs, don't dash my hopes this early in the year ;D What kind of MD are you using?

Rancho Leo

Apr 26, 2007
Rancho Cordova, California
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Don't ge discourages! When I started detecting I didn't find anything of value for 6 months then I found a buffalo nickle under a tin can lid, that hooked me. Now 35 years later I have a pretty good stash of keepers to show for it. 23 lbs of silver coins, 27 lbs of wheat cents, 100 rings (gold and silver), and a lot of miscellaneous jewelry. All of the clad has been spent on whatever.
Needless to say I'm adicted to digging....

DON'T GIVE UP

HH

LEO

davesx

Aug 27, 2006
essex, england
Hi claim/Fence Jumper
First of all wellcome to Tnet.
second we've all been there done that.
third don't give up.
forth look, listen and learn.
fifth happy hunting.

Dave.

T

TreasureTales

Welcome to TreasureNet. Glad you decided to step into the light and ask for help.

I use a lst and LOVE IT. Here is how I usually set mine.

1) Turn the Volume to about the 12 o'clock setting.
2) Set the toggle switch to Normal Soil
3) Set the other toggle switch to Descriminate
4) Set the Descrimination knob to between 3 & 4.
5) Tune the Sensitivity knob to about 8 or 9.

Now you should be good to go. With these settings, you will be able to find iron relics, gold rings, coins, and lots of other stuff (both keepers and junk).

You'll need to pay attention to the subtle differences in the beep tones that arise from the coil passing over the targets. If you don't use headphones, you should. A good set of headphones is a must for most detectors. With a "test garden" (bury a cent, nickel, dime, quarter, gold ring or some other gold item, a nail, and a pulltab in a 3'x6" area (yes, I said a 3 foot by 6 inch area). Now use your detector with the settings I gave you and test your lobo on these buried items. When you run the loop over the gold ring, does it make a different sound than when it goes over the pulltab? It should have a different sound, which is not as different as say a Minelab, but will still be distinguable if you pay close attention. Next, practice running the coil over each item until you learn to recognize the subtle differences in the tone and the subtle differences in the descrimination. The nail should not be "seen" at all by the machine after a few passes, if set up as described. The descrimination mode will stop picking up the nail after a few passes, so you will soon realize that anything that is there one minute and gone the next is most likely an iron object. If you are seeking relics, now you know what is iron and therefore what might be a relic. Turn the machine to the all-metals mode, sweep again, and dig up the relic.

When coinshooting, these settings will locate nickels and if you can locate nickels, you can use the same settings to locate nuggets. If you only want to nugget hunt, set the All Metals mode and off you go.

Personally, I very rarely change out of the settings I listed above. I've found gold, coins, relics, and plenty of junk with these settings. What I had to do was train my ears to recognize the differences in the tones that each has.

Practice with your test garden. Then go to a place that is sure to have lost coins. (Perhaps a school bark box or a fairgrounds kiddie play area.) Don't become discouraged. Anything we learn takes practice. You weren't born able to read, write, and do handstands, were you?

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
Hello, my name is dave and im a "dirtaholic" <I can hear it now "hello dave"...>.....All I can say is, Ive dug a nice piece of jewelry in my very first hole of an outting. I have also not found ANYTHING worth while in over a hundred holes. It is tough going home with your pants round your ankles from the weight of pulltabs, but its also nice to get fresh air, time with friends/family and the usually rare, good find. Dont give up yet...at the very least it clears my head from the days grind. Hh dave.

dfxdude

Jun 29, 2004
Wilmont, MN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX (2) V3i(1)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does Madison Lake have a public beach on it????

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
Don't think so but look here. I think they may be used as beaches.

Daryl

Attachments

• beach2a.jpg
    beach2a.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 170
  • beach1.jpg
    beach1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 159
B

BIG61AL

Do not give up yet. Keep looking and learning. Common mondern coins have more value than you think.

Everybody wants to find those old valuable coins. Some treasure hunters are in older parts of the country and still find them to this day. I live where it did not get activty and get bulit up until the 70's - no old coins for me. WRONG. Save up all the common coins, sell your silver and gold to midwest refineries [they are on the net], sell that scrap copper, sell all the crap you collected on ebay and buy those old coins you want on ebay.
That what I do to collect the good stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread