Maybe Some of You Can Help a Noobie Out

Frankie2Tymez

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2016
Philadelphia,Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Name is Frank and I just recently got interested in metal detecting after I was told that I needed to find a hobby that was relaxing but I wanted one that I could do with my 3 year old son. So I found a video on YouTube about Metal Detecting and I fell in love!! Love the idea of finding rare coins, civil war era relics, jewelry and buried treasure lol. So I started looking into getting a metal detector and one of those same videos says the best way to go is something called the AT Pro well I looked up the price and they are $600 and up. I was just diagnosed with brain cancer, seizure disorder, and I just had brain surgery I'm only 30 years old and I'm on disability but my credit is messed up because believe it or not I was a dumb kid at one point. Anyway long story made slightly shorter does anyone on here know of any companies that will help me make this dream come true so I can make payments on the detector and get out there with my son? If so can you private message me? I can send anyone links to my personal social media page to prove that this is not a gimmick or a fraud I'm just trying to find a company that still trusts people. One that will allow me to make payments without using my credit score that way my son and I can get started metal detecting the company who trusted me gets paid monthly or weekly and everyone is happy. Please private message me!! Thanks!!
58973b70b337adf408bc2d388f8f9240.jpg

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome Frank! My suggestion is to get the most you can together, and make a down payment on a $160.00 Tesoro Compadre equipped with an 8" Coil. There are SEVERAL Sponsors here on T-net that are TRUSTED and will work with you. God bless and Good Luck!

Supporting Vendors

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a friend that got a detector at a pawn shop, you don't have to have a new one

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Frank; I'm not sure BUUUUTTTT I will talk to some of the guys and get back to you ok. You can also find a good detector here in the Classifieds Section. I'll talk to you shortly. What say ye Folks ?? Help this guy out ?? I await. PEACE:RONB

PS: Thanks Terry. Good suggestion.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
post withdrawn - cave dator

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Frankie2Tymez

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Frank; I'm not sure BUUUUTTTT I will talk to some of the guys and get back to you ok. You can also find a good detector here in the Classifieds Section. I'll talk to you shortly. What say ye Folks ?? Help this guy out ?? I await. PEACE:RONB

PS: Thanks Terry. Good suggestion.

Thanks please PM me and let me know it would be a blessing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Frank, here is the problem as I see it and same with others on here. You are a brand new member. You come here with a story that could be 100% true all the way to 100% BS. A LOT of us want to help. BUT we have lots going through our heads.

One, will you stay here and post your finds or vanish as most do?

Two, WHY don't you have any family that will help you?

Three, Finding things isn't as easy as a video makes it look. Most,if not all are edited. It takes a lot of time, research and effort to find even a silver coin or two.

Four, You are coming to complete strangers that have seen a lot of people come and go in this hobby. You are asking for a very nice machine. Why don't you start with a beginning machine to see if it is for you before asking for a mid range machine that would get you about 500.00 if you sell it?

If you can answer most of these questions I am willing to help with a BEGINNING level machine and see if you stay on here long enough and like the hobby long enough to advance to a machine with more bells and whistles.

I am not doubting your story or your reasons. Since you are still younger, you should have parents, and since you have a child a wife and her parents to fall back on for help. Even brothers and sisters. Coming as a complete stranger to a website asking for us to give you a machine, doesn't really sit well with most on here.

If you really want to make payments, why not wait till you have the money before you buy? I have had plenty of experience with people wanting to make payments when I owned a computer shop. EVERY ONE VANISHED with the computer.

I have one other thing before I await your answer. I used to work at a pawn shop before the owner got busted for trading guns for weed. MOST people came in because they had no family to help them after they screwed every one of them over. Yes some had no family, I understand that. Your reason for coming to complete strangers is worth hearing.

I am also positive, if you were a member here for a long time and your machines got stolen or you had medical problems, most if not all on here would jump out to help. But unfortunately, that is not the case with you.

I know you are not asking for a freebie to be handed to you. But you also have to realize, we have absolutely no guarantee nor would a company that you wouldn't just vanish, and not make a single payment.

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had a lower end one left - i'd let you have it - all I got are higher ends
Ive given away no less than 4 machines in the past and like others have said - I never heard from any of them again
my father got me into the hobby in 1975 - so if your true in wanting to get out with your son - I hope some one will help you out
and wish you luck
though If I happen to hit the powerball tonight - I will definitely help you out

pepperdawg

Dec 25, 2014
North-Central CT
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO; Garrett-Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well Written Scuba.

Frankie - best of luck in your search - positive vibes your way!!

Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive seen so many scams on CL and in real life, that, honestly, this smells bad. I have a suggestion. Let people know where you live and let someone who is local come and meet with you - at a public place you both trust. That will make it all so much easier for everyone.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
ive seen so many scams on CL and in real life, that, honestly, this smells bad. I have a suggestion. Let people know where you live and let someone who is local come and meet with you - at a public place you both trust. That will make it all so much easier for everyone.

I agree. Before plunking down ANY money, or asking anyone else to plunk down money or give away one of their machines, I cannot recommend highly enough that you first do one of the following, and maybe both:
1) find a local metal detecting club - we can help with that
2) find a place that rents MD's and try one out for a while.

Even with the lightest weight machine out there, at about 2 lbs., swinging that thing once per second means you're swinging 120 lbs. every hour (assuming non-stop and no digging). If your MD weighs 3 lbs., then you'd be looking at 180 lbs. per hour (same conditions).

I have a neck injury from many years ago. Bought the wife a Tesoro Silver uMax, as the reviews were amazing, it fits our "technology" skills, the price was right, and it's one of the lightest machines out there. However, neither of us can go out swinging the machine for any length of time. So it normally sits here in the Living Room collecting dust. However, when we have better days and the weather is nice, we like to co out and dig a little rust out of the yard here and there.

Spoke with a guy yesterday who found an 1880's shield nickel yesterday. I would have sworn it said 1887, but it must have been 1881, as they switched to the V nickels in, I think, 1883. Anyway, there ARE lots of good finds out there, and you don't have to be in perfect physical health to do this. Just understand that it "may not" be as easy as it appears on YouTube.

One advantage in your favor is youth. We don't have that advantage. Therefore, swinging a machine will probably be easier for you than for us.

HH!!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Frank; I "know" the state your in. I've been there myself. Over 1/2 of my spine is SOLID metal and I have a plate in my neck to hold my head up literally. So with that said I am a bit of a Softie. But I have learned through a LOT of errors to digress to better advice. Hence I must digress to Scubadetector and kcm regarding this mater. I do wish you the best of luck. I will have you added to my Churches Prayer List ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
F

Frankie2Tymez

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank, here is the problem as I see it and same with others on here. You are a brand new member. You come here with a story that could be 100% true all the way to 100% BS. A LOT of us want to help. BUT we have lots going through our heads.

One, will you stay here and post your finds or vanish as most do?

Two, WHY don't you have any family that will help you?

Three, Finding things isn't as easy as a video makes it look. Most,if not all are edited. It takes a lot of time, research and effort to find even a silver coin or two.

Four, You are coming to complete strangers that have seen a lot of people come and go in this hobby. You are asking for a very nice machine. Why don't you start with a beginning machine to see if it is for you before asking for a mid range machine that would get you about 500.00 if you sell it?

If you can answer most of these questions I am willing to help with a BEGINNING level machine and see if you stay on here long enough and like the hobby long enough to advance to a machine with more bells and whistles.

I am not doubting your story or your reasons. Since you are still younger, you should have parents, and since you have a child a wife and her parents to fall back on for help. Even brothers and sisters. Coming as a complete stranger to a website asking for us to give you a machine, doesn't really sit well with most on here.

If you really want to make payments, why not wait till you have the money before you buy? I have had plenty of experience with people wanting to make payments when I owned a computer shop. EVERY ONE VANISHED with the computer.

I have one other thing before I await your answer. I used to work at a pawn shop before the owner got busted for trading guns for weed. MOST people came in because they had no family to help them after they screwed every one of them over. Yes some had no family, I understand that. Your reason for coming to complete strangers is worth hearing.

I am also positive, if you were a member here for a long time and your machines got stolen or you had medical problems, most if not all on here would jump out to help. But unfortunately, that is not the case with you.

I know you are not asking for a freebie to be handed to you. But you also have to realize, we have absolutely no guarantee nor would a company that you wouldn't just vanish, and not make a single payment.

First I completely agree and understand what your saying and I am not hurt by your comments or questions in anyway whatsoever. I can appreciate the fact that I am a brand new member and a complete stranger. So let me answer your questions the best I can.
1.) Yes I definitely plan to stay and post my findings my trips and all that, as I see it as part of the hobby and creative outlet to help me through.
2.) Family: It's been my Wife and the kids for a long time now. I was raised by my grandparents (I call them my parents) who are elderly and sick now and unable to help themselves let alone me, and her parents have been in financial debt for some time now due to a business that went south ironically enough it was a mechanics tools finance business and too many people skipped off and never made the rest of their payments with the tools and they had to shut down.
3.) Ohh I have researched that it's very hard to find anything of value but that's not why I want to get into it, it's the time with my son, the thrill of the possibility, and it's just the all around fun scanning digging and looking pretty much into the past. It all just looks, feels, and seems so calming and that's what I need at this point to help me get my mind off my medical conditions.
4.) To tell you the truth I apologize if I worded my post like I was asking for financing on just the AT Pro. I saw a video for beginners and it said if you want to be able to find all types of metal like silver,gold,steel, lead etc plus be able to differentiate and scan in shallow shallow water than that's the one but I'm a piece of clay right now cause I truly know zero about these machines.
I hope I answered all of your questions if not let me know and I'll expand on my answer. Oh and the reason I came on the forum was definitely 100% my hand to God and I can't make him angry in my condition was NOT to look for or ask for a handout or a freebie it was purely and truthfully an effort to see if anyone knew a Metal Detector Company that did financing without using your credit score because I was dumb with my credit when I was younger.

OP
OP
F

Frankie2Tymez

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a good idea I was thinking about what you just posted as I was typing the whole I guess it's called a topic up, and I decided to post it any way but I can understand that aspect of anyone's concern. But I'd be willing to give my address, SSN, DL #, and even speak to the company helping me out or even FaceTime. I'm real and so are my medical conditions but I do understand your concerns.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a good idea I was thinking about what you just posted as I was typing the whole I guess it's called a topic up, and I decided to post it any way but I can understand that aspect of anyone's concern. But I'd be willing to give my address, SSN, DL #, and even speak to the company helping me out or even FaceTime. I'm real and so are my medical conditions but I do understand your concerns.

Don't do that! While MOST people can be trusted, many cannot. And your saying you'd give out that information is just an invitation to the bad guys.

Lots of the folks on Tnet have disabilities. Some have/had cancer. I know someone on another forum that has cancer now - just a waiting game for them, as nothing can be done at this point.

As I posted, look into a local MDing club. That would be your best bet!
There are folks that have rented machines. Personally, I wouldn't have a clue where, but have seen too many posts to think anything else.
And finally, look for used machines on eBay. ONLY buy from reputable sellers (people with good history). Also, look in the classifieds section here and see what is currently available.

I know you've got your heart set on an AT Pro, but what about another possibility? There are some Fisher machines that you can get brand new for between $200-$300. One is (I think?) the F-22. It's rain proof. You can do everything except submerge the unit. As usual though, the coil is totally waterproof.

Locking yourself into just one machine is gonna make things more difficult. There are a lot of good machines out there, and there will be someone with experience in virtually any machine made right here on Tnet. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
F

Frankie2Tymez

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't do that! While MOST people can be trusted, many cannot. And your saying you'd give out that information is just an invitation to the bad guys.

Lots of the folks on Tnet have disabilities. Some have/had cancer. I know someone on another forum that has cancer now - just a waiting game for them, as nothing can be done at this point.

As I posted, look into a local MDing club. That would be your best bet!
There are folks that have rented machines. Personally, I wouldn't have a clue where, but have seen too many posts to think anything else.
And finally, look for used machines on eBay. ONLY buy from reputable sellers (people with good history). Also, look in the classifieds section here and see what is currently available.

I know you've got your heart set on an AT Pro, but what about another possibility? There are some Fisher machines that you can get brand new for between $200-$300. One is (I think?) the F-22. It's rain proof. You can do everything except submerge the unit. As usual though, the coil is totally waterproof.

Locking yourself into just one machine is gonna make things more difficult. There are a lot of good machines out there, and there will be someone with experience in virtually any machine made right here on Tnet. :thumbsup:

Yeah thanks man. I'm not locked into that AT Pro. I was just going by a YouTube video that told me if I wanted to be able to find and differentiate any metal that was the one. The only thing I need is a company who will let me make payments without using my credit score as a factor. Cause I was the sole income and this medical ordeal really hit us hard. Thanks bro I appreciate you!! I'm still looking.

mr wack

Greenie
Jul 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would it be possible to go to say wally world or Target or the like and see if you could put a machine on Layaway till paid off ?.
Just a thought cos I don't even know if that option exists nowadays..
Good luck , and chin up.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm curious. You're having financial problems now, and have a poor credit history. If you "could" make payments to someone, how much could you "reliably" afford per month?

OP
OP
F

Frankie2Tymez

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious. You're having financial problems now, and have a poor credit history. If you "could" make payments to someone, how much could you "reliably" afford per month?

Like this one website I tried had this financing called Affirm and it came out to like $60 every two weeks to auto debit from my account. I could've afforded that, but they use your credit score to make their decision and I was declined. Anyway. Thanks for the reply.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread