Other
OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AM2s with groundhog duel coils both cranked up , Garrett ace 250 , Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one major question. What line of duty were you paralyzed in in 2001?
DOD FLE .sorry for late responce our server was down for about a week now my keyboards on the fritz

OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AM2s with groundhog duel coils both cranked up , Garrett ace 250 , Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any good suggestions of a inexpensive pointer until we can obtain a couple good ones ?sorry for late responce our server was down for about a week now my keyboards on the fritz

OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom is there a place on here or a suggestion of how we can make some type of sand digging device where the sand would shake out fairly easy ? We plan to go on base in a couple places where there is beach sand but people have not been for many years (wifes Idea) and I was thinking that some type of cup design with a mesh bottom or tons of holes in the bottom to sift the sane out. I am sure that they make a special shovel but as I am working my way up and have other equipt to purchase that some of the needs I could make myself.

OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
agreed and sorry for late responce as our server was down about a week. I notice that many of you have several machines. My wife and myself have 3 now and I was wondering do you guys use different machines for different types of hunting ? maybe set up different? hmmm that might be a good threat starter to gain proper intel from the masses

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Tom is there a place on here or a suggestion of how we can make some type of sand digging device where the sand would shake out fairly easy ? We plan to go on base in a couple places where there is beach sand but people have not been for many years (wifes Idea) and I was thinking that some type of cup design with a mesh bottom or tons of holes in the bottom to sift the sane out. I am sure that they make a special shovel but as I am working my way up and have other equipt to purchase that some of the needs I could make myself.

foxtrot197, welcome back. Those are called "sand scoops". If there's no brick & mortar walk-in detector dealer in your area that carries those, then you can get them from an on-line mail-order store. Several advertise here you can click on. Then key word search "sand scoop". You'll see all different varieties and types.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... I would love to see the Passing of the Trove Laws such as England has but alas that is not the case ok. PEACE:RONB

Hey there Ron. Re.: the laws that England has: A lot of USA hunters think those are a good idea. And wish we had them here. But don't be so quick to wish that. They are much-misunderstood by USA hunters. They do NOT open up areas to hunt. There are still scores of places in England you can't hunt, just like here . Eg.: obvious historic monuments, etc.... Why do you think British hunters do 99% of their hunting on private land ?

The only reason they have those trove laws over there, is because everything under the ground (minerals, wealth, oil, etc....) belong to the crown. But not so in the USA: If you strike oil on your land, it's totally yours to market and get rich on. And over here in the USA, if you find a cache on farmer Bob's land, it's totally between you and farmer Bob on how to split and sell it. No interference with the govt.

Thus the laws you speak of do NOT "open up more places" to hunt. They are often mis-understood as somehow resulting in that.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tom & Foxtrot, First is Foxtrot PM me your physical mailing address. I have one I have not used in years. I'll send it to you free via snail mail ok. Glad to help. Now to Tom; How ya doing ?? I agree. I know they don't open sites for us or them either. I think the main point of the English Trove Laws is that if you make a good find you don't have the cops knocking on your door saying "thief" !! That it is intended as a tool where the Crown gets to keep the find but you DO get paid "FULL MARKET VALUE." for your find. That value is split Equally between you and the Landlord. Everyone is happy. I like that. I know of cases here where folks have made a good find, try to sneak out without anyone knowing, and as soon as they sell it EVERYONE knows and the cops come calling. There have been some Arrests over the last few years. I think We should do the right thing instead of the Archaeologists screaming murder at Us shutting down sites and even whole towns like Lexington,Concord & Sudbury here. I agree it is a bit of a Conundrum for all involved but We have to start somewhere. I think it makes a good start at least. There are Pro's & Cons on all sides I agree. What say ye?? I await. PEACE:RONB

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Tom; On another point. I think that in time it will produce good PR which We sorely need. That there are other circumstances as well. I know that an Avg Ship Salvage Operation like the USS Republic costs about $60K a "DAY". Thing is that after you kill yourself making the recovery. Uncle Sam wants 75% of the Finds Value, The State wants another 20% as well. I know because I spent 23 years at sea. I will not say where but you DO know some of the wrecks ok. Here in Boston is a 17 Gun Man Of war called the Magnifique if I spelled it right. Where the ship was known to have about 2 Million in Gold & Silver on her when she sank. It is still there and NO ONE wants to go for it because of the Gov. Greed. Today it is valued at over 200 Million. No one works for free which is what they are looking at. It's a sad State of affairs. I myself found a lost cannon from Fort Independence, Castle Island here in South Boston. I contacted Bill Spain about recovering it. He said that the State won't let him do it because they say it will cost about $15K to restore it and they don't want to pay for it. So it sits rotting away. Now if we had the Trove Laws then the Gov would allow Us to get it and they would pay for it. PLUS they don't want to give me ANY credit for the find because I'm not Accredited.!! How stupid.!!!!
Another aspect is that we here know that We recover WAY more than the Archies ever do. In Mass there are about 50,000 "KNOWN" Archaeological sites. Thing is there are only 24 Accredited Archaeologists in the State yet they say We want these sites Preserved for future excavation. WEEEELLLL, At that rate it would take them a few 100,000 YEARS to excavate every known site. How Ludicrous.!!! If they worked with Us under the Trove Laws then they would have so many Archaeologically appropriate finds soldc to them they would not have enough Wharehouses to store it all. Thus I believe the Trove Laws would in fact work well here for everyone. Anyways, What say ye ?? I await. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Barker, I am going to answer your questions, point-by-point, on the other thread that you started.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Foxtrot I saw you wanted to hunt 40 hours a week. In Delaware and Maryland the ground gets frozen rock hard in the winter and you can not dig anything. Fall is nice to hunt when the brush and weeds start to die off. Early spring is nice until the woods turns in a jungle again. Summer is only good if you have good clearings in the woods. Most tall forest have that jungle surrounding the edges, when you brake through the barrier, the interior will have the clearings.

OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Foxtrot I saw you wanted to hunt 40 hours a week. In Delaware and Maryland the ground gets frozen rock hard in the winter and you can not dig anything. Fall is nice to hunt when the brush and weeds start to die off. Early spring is nice until the woods turns in a jungle again. Summer is only good if you have good clearings in the woods. Most tall forest have that jungle surrounding the edges, when you brake through the barrier, the interior will have the clearings.

Hi Dave, Do you know of any stores in our area that sell pinpointers and other equipt at a fair price ? Not sure where your located but we are all the way up in the sticks inbetween historical havre de grace and the Susquahanna so if you knew anything up here that also would be great. I do sometimes take the trip down 95 just south of Staffard VA so any places on the way down 95 could also work but I can not really get off the beaten path too far from 95 .Yes agreed the ground gets really hard here in winter and I plan to do ROVs in winter and also we plan to take southern trips for MDing.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need a pinpointer cheap for right now i believe Harbour Freight has them for around $20. Its not quality, but may work till you can get a good one from a detector dealer.

As for your adventure, i wish you luck and if your successful the less people know the better it is for you.
Don't be in a hurry and take your time to figure out the best & safest way to quietly sell a few at a time. If its something that is really valuable you may need to find someone you can really trust to help you.
Chasing the dream is the easy part, what to do with it when you catch it is the hard part.

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea where any local metal detecting supply places are, it seems the internet closed a bunch. Hobby stores, which are scarce also use to sell them. I bought my DFX from Mars Music in the Big Elk Mall about 13 years ago before they closed. You will not need a pinpointer for a cache, when your shovel hits it, it will be mission accomplished. The pinpointer is handy for finding buttons, coins and other small clues along the way. Try a T-Net sponser like Fort Bedford Detectors, you should be able to talk to them on the phone. Good luck on your search, just hope the cache was not located by someone that kept it quiet.

OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sent you a pm dave

I have no idea where any local metal detecting supply places are, it seems the internet closed a bunch. Hobby stores, which are scarce also use to sell them. I bought my DFX from Mars Music in the Big Elk Mall about 13 years ago before they closed. You will not need a pinpointer for a cache, when your shovel hits it, it will be mission accomplished. The pinpointer is handy for finding buttons, coins and other small clues along the way. Try a T-Net sponser like Fort Bedford Detectors, you should be able to talk to them on the phone. Good luck on your search, just hope the cache was not located by someone that kept it quiet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions