Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the situation. I was Robin and I saw a guy in a no football field metal detecting. So I pulled over to talk with him and he said that him and his fraternity brothers were playing football there and he lost a gold paternity emblem the size of a quarter he said it was 14 carat. He told me if I could help him at that moment he would really appreciate it and after that he said if I find it it's mine. Well I'm going to be heading out there tomorrow and I need to ask on the AT Pro's what would you say would be the best number for that target? I don't want to be digging up the can tabs all day long. I know it's just your opinion, but I would really appreciate the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask if one of his fraternity brothers has a matching pin. Lay it on a towel, or something, and see how it rings up.

thekspapa

Jul 11, 2016
Ne oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, mine lab 305, at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How long ago did he lose it? If recently you should be able to see it. Just look in the grass at each loud signal. If your asking for a number, I'd say 65-67. If you find it I hope you'll tell us what it rings up. GL

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks I will. I grass is weird it's very spongy about it inch and a half, so as heavy as it is it's probably standing erect so it would be hard to see. And it's a big football field so I wanted advice to help my odds, because I've never found gold with the AT Pro. He lost it last week and he had a little $60 metal detector he was using.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Truth1253,

If it is made of GOLD on an AT Pro it could have numbers between 50 and 65 (perhaps a bit lower) on a quarter sized target. If lost recently, it will be a surface or very close to the surface find!

I would grid the area off moving East/West, North/South then diagonal. Take your time and turn down the sensitivity; you do not need depth here.

Regards,

Doc

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Professor the AT Pro has such a wide range for gold, but you gave great advice.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold rings I have with my AT gold rang up in the 40s

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever a 1975 nickel rings up, it will be the same numbers. I bet you find a lot more than that if you dig solid targets - Big Gold Baby! :occasion14:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have a pinpointer?...avoid deep targets, but one that read 2-4 inches, reach down...scan with pinpointer, should give you an idea if it's right there on edge, or in the thatch layer....good luck!

P.s....if it were me, and I found it, I would try to return it if possible...I know you don't have his contact info, so I guess that would make it difficult....so nevermind. Keep it.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spent four hours with him trying to help him find it and if I did that day he would have had it back, but If I spent days and days of my time trying to get that "Gold Rush" on my only days off work and actually found it one day, I would have to admit I would keep it anyway. I guess I'm not that good of a guy.

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nickel to pulltba range BUT.......you can make life a lot easier by only digging surface targets anyway. It's not going to be deep. I'd say 48-53 and 65-70 are the two ranges it will most likely fall in. It will be a pretty solid lock at that size as well.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Bottlecapbill. You are correct I went yesterday and did a vertical and horizontal grid to no avail, but I did turn down my sensitivity and I made the job a lot quicker and a lot faster. I did see a picture on here where a guy at a contraption that you made that held to pin pointers horizontal with a pole attached. For this specific purpose that would've been perfect! Lol

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
It's easy enough to find the owner if one wanted to. I would return it to the frat. Consider it an exercise in learning the ATP?

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A small gold ring I found was 47/48 and a large one was 57/58. Both rang solid and repeatable.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's easy enough to find the owner if one wanted to. I would return it to the frat. Consider it an exercise in learning the ATP?

So if you put in 18hrs ( not including the 3 hours you put in with him himself that day ) and on your only days off in the 96 degree heat and found it a month later you would return it? Well then he should have meet you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread