I want to go deeper

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Been hunting a old tobacco field and found the side plate and hammer from a flintlock and possible remains of a powder horn while digging other targets. but i aint getting deep enough to find the barrel or any thing else. have tryed with a whites coin master classic 11 , and the bounty hunter lone star. i will probably go ahead and get the AT pro . but im ignorant about the diff coils i here guys talking about for depth. what combination of coils for this At pro are there our can i get a diff coil for the whites? o yea, i will post pics when i figure it out.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depending on your budget, take a look at used Minelab SD and GPX machines. They use a lot of power and punch deep with 15" + coils. Just depends on your seriousness and budget, but I hope this helps. :skullflag:

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
There are many , many better choices than what's been mentioned if you want to go deeper at less cost to you . However if you plan on submerging your detector underwater then a AT Pro is a nice choice ... White has their new MX Sport that's waterproof and at around the same price and there's also a current speical on F75's as well ...Woodstock

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been hunting a old tobacco field and found the side plate and hammer from a flintlock and possible remains of a powder horn while digging other targets. but i aint getting deep enough to find the barrel or any thing else. have tryed with a whites coin master classic 11 , and the bounty hunter lone star. i will probably go ahead and get the AT pro . but im ignorant about the diff coils i here guys talking about for depth. what combination of coils for this At pro are there our can i get a diff coil for the whites? o yea, i will post pics when i figure it out.

hi i can sell you a detector that can go about 5 feet on minerals and big target, or with square coil i have reach 16 feet, i cant tell you the brand because it cost me lot of time and money invest on many machines to finally get to something that that works fine on minerals and goes deep, and stable, well too much to say about this machine, probably we are talking around $1500 plus shipping. for a square coil handle and 16" round coil you will love it, im just guessing on price i need to check my price list. i have videos of this machine and how deep will go but i have not made English speaking videos yet. sorry.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Ha, a few comments on the advice you've received so far:

a) re.: Terry's advice of a nugget machine. Sure. No doubt you'll get "balls-to-the-walls" deep. You literally "won't miss anything". But the devil is in the details: Those machines are going to "ring the bells of Notre Dame" on every single pinhead, staple, nail, paperclip, etc.... You will lack any ability to disc. out iron (beyond the top 6" anyhow).

b) re.: prospexican's advice: He's talking about 2-box machine, if I'm not mistaken. If so, it's only going to be large targets (soda can sized and up). It won't find individual coins, etc... But if he had a standard rod & loop detector in mind, then perhaps he's talking something specialized, again, like Terry ?

So if you wanted a standard machine, then yes, there's several better choice than the Classic II and that Lone-star. Each of them are wimpy on depth. The Classic II, for example, is great for seeing in and around iron @ ghost-townsy situations. But is not a power-house deep-seeker when it comes to open field hunting. Some of today's powerhouse machines for furroughed/fallow ag fields would be: CTX, Sov, Explorer, CZ6, etc... Many many to choose from.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Invest in a detector that has optional coils both from the manufacturer and other aftermarket coil makers. The bigger the coil, the deeper you detect.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey sawmill
If they plow the field then why get a new machine ?
When the plow will stir the relics up from the clay line in the field, just my opinion.
i love to get new detectors, so please don`t get me wrong !
Gary

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is your soil like? A Pi might be what you need if not there are many good machines out there in the 400-$700 range. The ATPRO, T2 classic, MX-5(one of my favs) M6, MXT Pro, MXSport, F-19/G2, Racer, Nokta CoRe, and the list goes on!

OP
OP
S

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
still going back and forth cant really make my mind up ,you know like a kid in a candy store. i should have mentioned its a old tobacco patch last plowed in the 80s and the biggest thing ever to work the ground was a very small 8 n ford so i think some stuff might still be there. i kinda doubt my grandpaw ever got much more than 12 inches deep. and thanks for all the replys. and i will figure the picture thing out.

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all the coils round coils will pick up superficial garbage, if you plan to go deep and for the big $$$$$ cashes make sure to use a 2 box or pulse induction square coil machine and keep it at least 1 foot away fron the ground surface level. that way your coil is far enough to ignore superficial garbage, i have a great! machine that gets almost not affected by minerals and goes super deep, but if you want to go for rings, coins, relicks etc, then use a round coil detector. any one recommended by experts. good luck.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" I want to go deeper "

Has been said many times... not only here...

But also in a few plastic surgeons offices. :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread