Telling about treasures?

Wildlifeliving

Greenie
Feb 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read on several places here on tn that people say that if they found a treasure/gold mine/gemstone of of substantial value they would hold thier mouth shut and not disclose it to anyone, it makes sence since the state want a piece of the cake. But some even say they would not disclose thier find here on treasurenet.
So the question is, would you do that, and if not why? And do you think there is anyone here on the forum that has found a treasure but has not disclosed it?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't show everything I find. I did find something in the back yard when we were putting in the new septic tank though :laughing7:

Attachments

• Cash.jpg
    Cash.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 111

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I might say on here that I found something significant but no one or the Government will ever know what except a choice few! I don't need Internet Trolls or the Government trying to take a part or all of my' find which keeps me from shooting anyone that tries.

Frank

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I think it's people with over-active caution levels, that have this "don't post your finds" notion. Same persons who perhaps think that "big brother" also monitors in on all our phone calls, and knows your every move, blah blah...

Because, look for a moment at the finds forums on any md'ing forum. They are RIDDLED with us hobbyists posting our trophies for show & tell right ? Even some valuable ones ! Yes, even some caches get posted from time to time.

So seriously now, you tell me: Do you *really* think some IRS agent is sitting around, trolling a today's-find forum, thinking "aha! Let's go after him for not paying taxes" ! Anything's possible, sure. But at some point, you have to leave your own front door in the morning. Despite all the things that "could" happen to you. Eg.: get attacked by a lion, etc....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...So seriously now, you tell me: Do you *really* think some IRS agent is sitting around, trolling a today's-find forum, thinking "aha! Let's go after him for not paying taxes" ! Anything's possible, sure. But at some point, you have to leave your own front door in the morning. Despite all the things that "could" happen to you. Eg.: get attacked by a lion, etc....

I worry more about ex-wives and deadbeat friends than I do the IRS :laughing7:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Find something big, brag about it, and the insurance companies and so called relatives come out of the wood work, and you have to fight to keep ownership. Then some lawyer ends up with most of it. You think you find loot from a stage coach robbery, instantly Wells Fargo wants their money back, and an unbelievable number of people will be related to who ever lost it or it was stolen from. Personally I don't talk much about where I hunt or what I've found, but I will post some finds on here, and I sure enjoy seeing others finds, so I don't want it to be a one way street.

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
I guess its the value that matters here. I wouldn't disclose something like a hoard of gold, but some coins from the forties, sure.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Telling about treasures- and clues...

I love it when someone starts a thread and wants to discuss the clues to the treasure.

"Let's all share our thought on the clues," or- "I don't have any idea, would you all please tell me your answers, mine don't seem to be working out very well..."

Another one, shipwrecks. "Can you all tell me where the missing shipwrecks are, the ones with all the gold?"

"Which beach hotel is producing the most gold?"

Has anyone EVER revealed all they have worked for because they felt compelled to answer a strangers post?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
So seriously now, you tell me: Do you *really* think some IRS agent is sitting around, trolling a today's-find forum, thinking "aha! .

No, actually it is data mining, and this site is as full of information as easy as you and I sitting here reviewing threads The data mining system supporting this has been around for many years - just becomes more and more capable as time has passed. It's a multi-function system. If something you say or do triggers an action item, then within minutes they knew whether you have high blood pressure, who your friends are, and what your addictions are.

Just good things to know, you know?

I'm retired now, and some of my skivvies are wearing out. But nobody sees me anyway........

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unfortunately the greed of man is unending and because of that there are many searching for that which has already been found. I know of this. Keeping private 'finds' is the only true safe guard. It is a difficult thing to do particularly when you discover a truth that is disappointing. That is the first thing that asset managers will tell you, I'm talking about family fortune managers, to beware of the 3 F's, they will cause you the most harm and grief. They are Family, Friends and the Feds in that order. As soon as family knows of your good fortune the rest follows and so on and so on. As I said, its difficult particularly when your biggest disappointments will come from those closest to you. As a 'finder' you do have rights of course and the most important one is this: You have the right to shut up. Speak at your own peril.

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would tell my friends, not the internet tho. Who knows where the info is shared, thats how people make the newspapers sometimes then everyone finds out... like the couple that found that cache in california, how did the word get out? did they go to the newspaper or did a friend or relative tell about the story?

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read on several places here on tn that people say that if they found a treasure/gold mine/gemstone of of substantial value they would hold thier mouth shut and not disclose it to anyone, it makes sence since the state want a piece of the cake. But some even say they would not disclose thier find here on treasurenet.
So the question is, would you do that, and if not why? And do you think there is anyone here on the forum that has found a treasure but has not disclosed it?

"Finding" a mine ,no I doubt this forum and divulging would be a priority.
Gemstones would inspire a ton of questions and a few tails probably.
Whatever other "treasures" constitute , try imagine being flush , and then peoples reactions.
The few that believe your account would likely be a minority. More may simply be suspicious while those who can locate you might want a cut , or at least info..it
Feel free to share though. Nothing wrong if you so desire and would be entertaining.
By free sourcing others might learn how to duplicate.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, you guys can keep my man cave a secret, right??:laughing7:

Okay, and we probably shouldn't reveal that you are never home on Thursday evenings between 8-11pm, or that the dog doesn't bite, the alarm is broken and the safe combination is R63k L31 R28 L55.

Mum's the word!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hell yes... Finding a few hundred bucks worth of old gold coins is something someone might share... but not a few HUNDRED GOLD COINS if their smart. Especially if it wasn't on their property they wouldn't / shouldn't. Nothing but problems will arise. I'm sure it's happened.... :laughing7:

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I agree with keeping major finds cloaked in secrecy.

Heck, when asked what I am finding by the looky-loos at a park, my answer is always ' a lotta junk and a few coins'.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sharing finds, sure. Up to the point that doing so may cause alot of grief then the KVM rule kicks in.
I have said that if i ever find the "big one" you will know, i will post a pic of one and tell you it has friends, and disappear.....either i'm living the good life, or i ran out of data. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread