The dangers of detecting

A

Amex

I'm new to this, and truthfully don't even have a metal detector yet, so this might make some of you laugh... But its a question I do have..

I've been reading the forum and stories of people that detect, and I see alot of people who have their detector in the car and stop when they see a place, or people who drive around looking for interesting areas. It seems like a lot of the places to find relics and such are off the beaten path so to speak.

I'm wondering though, when you find these areas, do any of you research the place to see if it's safe?

I mention this because near me, is an old abandoned textile and mill plant. Its big, abandoned and run down and was once heavily traveled so it would seem like a good place to go detecting.. But, it has also been a place where a few arrests have happened over the years and there have been reports people heading there to use drugs and drink. So knowing that, I probably wouldn't go there. At least not alone.

But, from the perspective of those that drive around and spot a place... Would you just hop out of your car and head over to it? Or would you maybe do a little research before exploring?

And for those of you who search the forests and waterways.. Do you take any precautions when it comes to wildlife, or getting lost in the woods?

I know that personally, if I buy a detector, Ill mostly be out on my own. So I want to be as safe as I can. I live in the middle of nowhere, and know pretty much everybody in my town. Its a very safe area. But, even so, I'm wondering what kind of precautions everyone takes, if any..

S

stefen

If you come across an old farm or other interesting site, its probably best to not go alone...in case you fall into a well or encounter any type of hazard.

Rabbits and squirrels are not a problem unless they have been trained to attack (rambo rabbits), however, if you are in an area that is known to have wild dogs, bears or cougars, a side arm is advised.

Snakes and gators are another problem...your on your own!

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Its funny... i was starting to post something here, and then actually stopped and thought about it. Off the top of my head i initailly thought there are only 2 issues:
1. what to watch for
2. what to do to prevent/protect
I know i'm missing stuff... so please help me fill in the list

What to Watch for
1. nasty plants... pay attention to poison oak, ivy, sumac and avoid them
2. nasty critters... know what nasties are in your area and avoid them as well (ie. poisonous snakes and spiders, gators, bears, cougars...)
3. your surroundings... searching old farm sites, watch for wells, overhead items that can fall on you, sharp objects while digging, chemicals, etc. Pay attention to the landscape to avoid injuries.
4. people around you... if you're in the middle of nowhere... pay attention of noises, etc around you. I usually link this one with beaches... especially at night. Remember the headphones block out all the sound around you. just pay attention

What do to
1. First aid kit... goes without saying (which is why I am saying it)
2. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR SURROUNDINGS
3. Cell phone - keep one with you in case of emergencies
4. know what critters are around, and how to avoid/frighten them
5. Use common sense
6. If hunting alone, let people know when and where you're going

I know I am forgetting/overlooking a ton of things...
steve

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I am probally the wrong one to answer this because I generally hunt where I see something interesting. Of course I wouldn't hunt something that looks like trouble...I am not going to just walk into an abandoned building that looks like a gang hangout or into a dangerous situation.But I will and do go into the backwoods alot and have no problems with that. I guess for those of us who hunt this way, we are so used to the precautions to take and its just a way of life that we don't stop and think of what we need because its ingrained in us.
This is calling the kettle black ,but don't hunt alone ...I have spent my life in the woods so I am exempt from this rule ::)Carry your cell and let someone at least know you are hunting and when you should return.
Make sure you always carry extra...extra keys...cell phone charger...water...first aid...battery charger ... flat fixer....

I need to add a note to this as I realize alot of people dont know me....I never hunt without permission on someone elses property. If I see something I want to hunt I track down the owner and if I cant I dont hunt it until I find them.

OP
OP
A

Amex

Well you definitly all make some good points.

I'll be mostly in the forest so Ill have to be sure that I pack some sort of kit when I go out..

It sounds like most of you actually do pack kits or plan for different situations.

I just hadn't seen much mention of it around here, so I was curious.

For those of you hunting in the woods or fields, what kinds of tools do you bring with you? If you have to move a log or a rock to dig, how do you go about doing that?

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I grew up in NYC and now live in the middle of nowhere, so I tend to be suspicious of everyone and everything. I found an old abandoned farm with two silos and was afraid to investigate in on my own because it was so isolated. I waited until my husband got home and forced him to go with me. I find myself hyper aware of my surroundings when I'm alone, and it's difficult to relax when you are like that. The headphones make it very difficult to hear, and so I'm convinced that Ted Bundy is behind me. I usually end up spooking myself out and leaving. My suggestion is to find a club in your area so you can find others who enjoy this activity. Hook up with a friend or two..there's safety in numbers. Now, if I can only listen to my own advice. :D

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
This is just my opinion and I am NO expert. If I go anywhere other than a public park, school or private home I NEVER go alone. Even if I just take my son with me. You wouldn't scuba dive alone if you are smart so don't take the risk on land either.

When I do detect areas off the beaten path with a buddy, like the others said take some precautions.

1. Never go anywhere without at least a gallon of water, even on public park and school digs (sounds stupid but trust me on this)
2. Always have trailmix, snacks etc.
3. The number one must have is a GOOD first aid kit. I am not talking about some $15 Wal-Mart special. Spend a little money and set up a good first aid kit and carry with you at all times. I have worked in the health care field for over twenty years and you do not want to go anywhere without a good first aid kit.
4. Always take a way to communicate with you, cell phones don't always work. Take a small two-way radio with you like a Motorola, it uses common frequencies and if you get lost hurt etc rescuers can scan for those frequencies. Also carry a whistle with you and a small flashlight.
5. Always tell at least two people where you will be going, who you will be with , when you are going and more importanly when you will be coming back.
6. Learn CPR and basic first aid. Don't tell me you don't have time, do it this winter when you can't go out and detect. The American Red Cross teaches basic first Aid and CPR.
7. Pay attention to your environment: watch for snakes, spiders, scorpions, whatever wildlife may be in your area. Also learn what harmful plants are in your locale and what edible plants are there as well.
8. If you get somewhere and you don't feel comfortable leave. No amount of treasure is worth loosing life or limb over.

I am sure I have forgotten a lot of things, as I said I am no expert and if anything I tend to be overcautious. My hunting buddy laughs everytime we go out because of all the "Stuff" I always take with me. If I am planning on hiking into woods I carry a backpack with all the important stuff I may need, laugh if you want but it is better to have and not need than to need and not have.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First portion of research should be to find the owner(s) and secure permission to be there. Just seeing something interesting and detecting without permission to be on property is trespassing. Any areas of concern could be addressed to the owner(s) at that time

I gotta agree with this. The first thing you should determine is do you have the right to be there.

Next, how many have hunted in places where they didnt do that? Lets see a show of hands... as I suspected there's more than a few of you. So now you are somewhere without permission, or with, perhaps, and you have to next ascertain is it safe? That's the question?

There is only common sense and some awareness that keeps you from being a statistic. Safety is relative. Everything has some risk, especially when you go off the path, as it were. Imagine if the first explorers had been more worried about safety than adventure. Many of the places mentioned - gang hangouts, crack houses, war zones - are obvious. So is the owner of the property you dont have permission for, should you run afoul of him

You have to educate yourself as best you can, prepare as much as possible and then you have to take the plunge. Are there risks? Sure. But you wouldn't be a modern day adventurer if you werent willing to rise to the challenge. Should you trespass? No. Should you recklessley endanger yourself or others? No
Should you let preparing for safety grind you to immobility? NO

DO what you must to assure your own safety. You know what that is and what your limits are. Then get out there - and don't forget to enjoy what you are doing once you get there.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
If you are carrying an old or cheap cell phone you may also was to get an upgrade. Most newer phones have a GPS feature which will pinpoint your position when 911 is dialed. If you have a newer phone make sure it is enabled as some are not by default.

now as far as getting a signal out there in the hollar... can't help ya with that ;)

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are hunting mainly in the woods, just take good ol' toilet paper, water and extra batteries. If you're hunting alone, knowing CPR won't help you. If you aren't hunting alone, knowing CPR still won't help you. Your friend has to know CPR. ;D I just can't bring myself to fear going anywhere alone, not that I'm such a badbutt, it just doesn't please me to think that I'm an American and I can't feel safe in my own country. I did my military time to be free, not afraid. Just go enjoy yourself as long as you know how to get around in the woods and can find your way out. If someone kills you, sue me. ;)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Oh I did not mean to imply I was afraid, I just feel it is better to be prepared than to just go off blindly! And you are correct, CPR cannot help you if you are alone, and your hunting buddy should be CPR and first aid trained as well. I have been out once when I had to administer first aid and stabilize and idiot, I mean person who crashed his 4-wheeler.

As for the signal try this out.

http://www.pmel.noaa.gov/cnsd/hpcc-nwg/finalreports/se/Image29.jpg
(google image) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not entirely by choice, but I frequently hunt alone and also metal detect alone. Just don't have friends that hunt as much or any locally that metal detect. Generally, it is a park at lunch-break when I detect, but occasoinally I go back in to old sites where I've never seen another human. My wife always knows generally where I plan to be.

If I'm in the woods I might carry a quart canteen and a .45 with a few high-energy snacks and a small first aid pack, whistle, small flashlight and a couple means of starting a fire. I also quit or stay home if feel tired. When you're tired is when you make mistakes. Don't own a cell phone so I guess I'm the last of that species, also.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No cell phone here either. If I wanted people to get in touch with me 24 hours a day, I'd stay home. I'm sure that 99.9999999999999999% of the phone calls made on them are just a waste of time and money although they were mostly bought for "Emergencies". You should carry a camera also, so you can show us pics of where you've been!!!

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
I frequently metal detect alone, in addition to the above advice (very sensible and sound)
I leave a 'locations' list for the Mrs. and an estimated time to return. If I don't return
at least she knows where to tell someone to start. Usually she'll call and check up on me.
(I am required to carry a cell phone...on call 24/7).

Building your own first aid kit is easy...ask paramedics or combat medics what you need.
Don't forget a couple energy bars, (not the breakfast bars).

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
One thing to keep in mind if you get out around abandoned sites or some wooded areas is to keep an eye on some of the wildlife. I've been starting to see a few animals that are normally nocturnal (skunks, raccoons, and even possums) that are running around in broad daylight. It's not to say that all of them are rabid but there have been a few local cases of rabies lately. Just a thought.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I tell folks where I'll be and about what tiime I'll be back and carry my cell phone---if the area is remote if I can I hunt with a buddy ---if a area is dicey in any way I slip off one of my headphones a bit that way I can hear anything or one approaching --I pack a very sharp digging tool and am what most folks would call a "hard target" at 395 and 6"1" and I know how to handle myself --someone would need a gun to best me--if they have gun here take it its yours---then when you leave its on my cell to the cops--if it looks like it going to be a take my wallet then bang no witness deal-- I'm going out fighting is all I can say and should they get away they best hope I never see them again in this life and if I get to my car and have the chance call the meat wagon I'll take em out no problems with doing it-- but thats just me----Ivan

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
One thing I didn't see mentioned was finding out if you are allergic to anything you might encounter in the woods - bees, etc. If you don't know if you are allergic, put an Epipen in your first aid kit. That way, if you get bitten by some critter or encounter some sort of plant and you start having trouble breathing, you can give yourself a shot of epinephrine. Sorta keeps you from dying.

Another thing to put in a kit if you are going into deep woods is a small mirror. You can pick up ones with a small clear spot in the center to aim at your target at most Army Surplus places. This is the best way to signal a search plane. If you don't have one and you are under the canopy of the woods, your chances of being spotted are almost nil. This comes from personal experience. I also know how much it cost to rent a helicopter and clear it across an international border. The kind of stuff you really don't want to know or learn the hard way.

Daryl

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
After seeing TNET members lash out at one poor recipient on another thread, I am shocked that very few...in fact, Gypsy, was the first..to actually bring up the topic.....you have to have permission to be on that property. Otherwise, you are trespassing. I realize the jest of your question is hunting alone and whether or not it is safe. However, your first priority is to ensure that you have permission to be on the property. Otherwise, it could land you in a heap of trouble with the property owner and the law.

Just my opinion, just my opinion.
--Mel

borninok

LuckyDragon

Apr 6, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
It wouldn't hurt to have a hand held gps reciver Lowrance has some good ones.
don't leave home with out it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions