Do you use different machines for different types of hunts ?

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my two cents....I have owned about 10 machines over time and they all saw metal.In my opinion most of us would agree that 2 machines are all most hunters need.wet salt machine for ocean beach,single freq.vlf for dry sand and land use.Obviously there are specialty niche machines for specific purposes(nuggets etc).

hunt where your machine works well.In time you should be able to"earn"your next upgrade or site specific machine.There is just no way around the time required to obtain expierience on any machine,sure it gets easier to master a new machine when you have alot of time under your belt as so much overlap exists between machines.

I actually recomend that you just focus on that groundhog you have for a couple hundred hours.when you can id 8 of ten targets before you dig,can retrieve the target quickly in differant soil conditions,leave little or no trace of your extraction........THEN you may wish to think about an upgrade.You will know what you want the new machine to achieve that yours isnt.

plenty of time for all of this.even the pinpointer can wait as the lack of one will cause you to become more accurate with your machines pinpoint function.Even your eyes will become more able to spot items in the loose dirt or on surface MUCH better after some time.

You will likely find that certain types of hunts are just more satisfying to you and your next machine will likely be targeted for those hunts.Maybe the machine you have is the perfect machine,some hunting areas simply rarely hold deeper targets or they are so much work to get to that they just take the fun out of hunting there at all.I live in such a place.9 of 10 spots I regularily hunt almost never hold anything of value beloow 6 inches.Would need explosives to go deeper.

just cruise into this...have fun...be patient and all will become clear and available in time.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
With the coil try to get one that's 'closed' b/c 'open' coils are harder to drag back and forth across the ground. I see so many people swaying their 'open' coils back and forth several inches above the ground. Not only is this limiting their area range, but it also obviously limits their depth dramatically too....
HH
-spyguy

Either that or use a solid skid plate over an open coil. Personally, I have a skid plate for our closed coil as well. Would rather beat up the cover than the coil.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
If you can only have one machine for maximum versatility it would be a multi frequency machine, such as a dfx, a cz or a minelab. That's my opinion.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
For years I used a fast swinging machine, (Whites XLT) at new sites, since I could cover a lot of ground quickly, to find the 'hot spots' or just get a feel for the site.
Then I would break out my CZ-7a pro to go slow and deep.

I accomplish that now with my CTX, which is fairly speed tolerant, and I change up coils for different stages of hunting.

I cover a lot of ground with the 17"er, put the stock 11" on for 'standard' speed.

cactusman

Nov 15, 2015
Western USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, AT Max, AT Pro, Ace 350, GTI-2500, Infinium LS, Scorpion Gold Stinger, Pro-Pointer AT, Fisher F75 LTD2, Gold Bug 2, F-Pulse, Whites 24K, TM-808, Schonstedt Maggie, Falcon MD 20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm you just made me aware as we do go to streams in the boonies that are untouched and also as we are in rocky areas also untouched that we need to learn Meteiorites if they are of value only as I do not collect them nor am I interested but they may be good for others on here as gifts or swaps if they have interests. What would be a good but quick reference to learn the metiorites and identify them in a book type reference form ? good food for thought your post is..
THIS WAS TO CACTUSMANS POST

I have several books on the subject, but if you can only get one, buy this one: Field Guide to Meteors and Meteorites by O. Richard Norton and Lawrence Chitwood

And be sure to get a good rare earth magnet while you're at it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions