Detecting Woes...

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Velox One, Makro Racer(Red), Garret AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Long time lurker, first time poster and fairly new to detecting.

So, anyone else detect on an old property (in Williamsport, Pa) that refuses to give up it's old secrets? I am detecting on a friends property. His house was built in 1901, but people have been living steadily in that area since the mid 1800's. I only seem to find modern coins though. They range from surface finds down to about 6".

I am finding LOTS of modern coins.. probably 50 pennies, 15 dimes., and a few quarters. The oldest being a couple wheat pennies form the 40's.

So, it seems one of two things is happening: 1) There are simply no OLD coins on the property/easements.. I find this to be unlikely given how many modern coins I am finding. It stands to reason that I should have found at least ONE old (pre 1920) coin. Or 2) My ACE 250 just doesn't detect deep enough to get to the really old stuff.

Anyone else have this issue before? Is it time to upgrade my detector?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ACE 250 is a fun machine but if it could keep up with or compete with machines like the CTX 3030,, then Minelab would go out of business.
I don't know how serious you are about this hobby, or what your budget is like, but it makes sense that on older properties, the older coins are going to be deeper. There are numerous middle range prices on metal detectors that can get you down to 10 inches deep. I would go with the newer machine rather than spending money on larger coils.
Welcome to Tnet.

Last edited:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Masking is likely the problem. Homes are built with nails. Do you hear them on an Ace?

I'd upgrade machines rather than coils, as Against the Wind said.

OP
OP
J

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Velox One, Makro Racer(Red), Garret AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, there are layers and layers of nails on that property. It's really maddening. I was looking at the AT Pro, but I'm open to other suggestions. I am looking for new/used prices under $700. I have been searching the forums for suggestions on machines, but most of the discussions have been several years old. So any new machines out there that would be great for deep detecting?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
There might be no old coins. Just because someone dropped new coins, doesn't mean that there was always someone dropping coins. The dynamics of what and where things were lost is quite odd, it is generally predictable, but not specifically predictable. Old house SHOULD have all coins, but it doesn't always work out that way.

A better machine would "probably" yield better results... however, nothing is guaranteed in the treasure hunting game!

I have an AT Pro... good machine, good price. I also have a Deus... great machine in the nails!

OP
OP
J

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I HAVE found that, despite the fact that I pull out lots of trash and modern coins, this is a SUPER fun hobby. I think investing in a great machine is in my best interest. It gets me off the couch and out breathing in fresh air. XP Deus (USED) and AT Pro are both in my price range. I'll seek out opinions on both of them.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
If I were to do an AT series again, I'd be buying the ATGold over the Pro. Better features, smaller coil.

A used Whites DFX would open things up for you in depth, unmasking, and coil selections. Not waterproof if that's a concern. Or even the Whites MXT new. Both machines known as great performers and easily within your budget. Would be a huge step up from an Ace.

Just saw your above post. Deus VS AT - Deus wins hands down.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet!

I'm sure the Ace250 is great for a large percentage of users, and it's cheap. I didn't keep mine long because maybe I'm a bit peculiar. I felt it was just a bit above a toy.

I'm a sold out Minelab guy, but I've searched beside a Deus while using my CTX. I was pretty darned impressed by the Deus, and they're less than half the cost of a CTX. And, as Carolina Tom said, they're great in nails, with great depth.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! I'll keep my eyes open for a Deus deal. I'll probably hang on to the 250 for beach detecting (pulling clad out of the sand while my wife loafs in the sun). Thanks for the input!

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
There is one site I hit tons of times when I lived in Kansas with a huge amount of iron.
An old farmhouse that had iron of all kinds from tiny to huge plus maybe about a million nails.
Several hunters attempted to hunt this site with decades of experience and some pretty high end machines but with very little success and they never returned after one visit.
There were better and much easier sites to spend their time at they all thought.
I hit this place over and over with an F2 and 2 coils, a Compadre, a Vaq and several coils and even an old Judge2 and never found much good except modern shallow clad and a couple of 1940's wheaties.
We all suspected there was much more here to find but masking was such a huge problem it was daunting...and very frustrating.
I returned with an upgraded F70 one day and still didn't have much luck at first but stubborn guy that I am I kept coming back and experimented with different settings and techniques attempting to crack this code and finally, after some luck, time and practice I finally did it.
Turns out there was a ton of great targets hiding there but they were so masked and well hidden it was almost impossible to recognize them...till I learned how.
Nothing was deeper than 6", death was not the problem, masking was.
Pic of some of the better targets I dug below including a bucket list Walker half.

As much as I learned I don't believe I could have been close to this successful using lower end machines even with all that new knowledge.
It was the settings and abilities of the F70 that finally gave me that advantage...plus a few hours of some out of the box setting thinking and practice.

I believe the right small coil could help you at this site but an upgraded unit with more features, settings and abilities might be a more logical choice.
An upgrade could be an advantage at other sites besides this difficult one also so not just a one trick pony if you decide to move up.

Attachments

• farm stuff (2).jpg
    farm stuff (2).jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is one site I hit tons of times when I lived in Kansas with a huge amount of iron.
An old farmhouse that had iron of all kinds from tiny to huge plus maybe about a million nails.
Several hunters attempted to hunt this site with decades of experience and some pretty high end machines but with very little success and they never returned after one visit.
There were better and much easier sites to spend their time at they all thought.
I hit this place over and over with an F2 and 2 coils, a Compadre, a Vaq and several coils and even an old Judge2 and never found much good except modern shallow clad and a couple of 1940's wheaties.
We all suspected there was much more here to find but masking was such a huge problem it was daunting...and very frustrating.
I returned with an upgraded F70 one day and still didn't have much luck at first but stubborn guy that I am I kept coming back and experimented with different settings and techniques attempting to crack this code and finally, after some luck, time and practice I finally did it.
Turns out there was a ton of great targets hiding there but they were so masked and well hidden it was almost impossible to recognize them...till I learned how.
Nothing was deeper than 6", death was not the problem, masking was.
Pic of some of the better targets I dug below including a bucket list Walker half.

I believe the right small coil could help you at this site but an upgraded unit with more features, settings and abilities might be a more logical choice.
An upgrade could be an advantage at other sites besides this difficult one also so not just a one trick pony if you decide to move up.

WOW! That's the stuff of my detecting dreams!

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want a good machine, check out the Whites detectors. They have several new ones in the price range you mentioned. I have 5 now and never had a problem with any of them. Good luck on your decision.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahh, Williamsport, PA - Timber capitol of the world! Tesoro Vaquero. $450.00 new, and one or two used in the classifieds. :occasion14:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There could have been dirt added to the area.
If theres any place on the property that has been dug out be sure and check it out.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Ms BpBp, I had a virgin site I hit and the old coins were found in the front yard between 5" and 7" deep. The house had an addition put on at the turn of the century (late 1800's) and the oldest coin I dug in the back yard was a 1940's quarter.

I also agree with Carolina Tom, that not all places will have old coins. Many people used coin purses back in the day and did not give their children coins as much as they did in the 1940's or later due to economic reasons. Money was tight.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions