Weird finds and what to do with them

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AM2s with groundhog duel coils both cranked up , Garrett ace 250 , Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PICTURES AE NOW .I thought as we had a couple weird finds this week maybe you all would know what to do with them. We were also interested to know what weird finds you guys have had and what you did with them or maybe you could get help here on this thread. well one of our weird finds was a small cache of token like coins that say SKILL AWARD on one side and on the reverse they say GOOD FOR 1 CENT IN TRADE . i had my computer geek search everywhere to find out what these old tokens are from and he came up with a single 1 thats in worse condition on ebay for about 150 bucks i dont remember but no details or anything where they came from. the location was of a old mine company store that had shooting competitions in the early to mid 1800s. has anyone heard of these before and whats the usual way to value them as i feel the one on sale on ebay is just a guy taking a shot at the value of his as no others exist nor can be found online and whats the best connect for values and knowledge in the token industry if one exists. Thanks for any responces

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Any chance you can post a pic? If not, it's gonna be really difficult for anyone to help with identification, etc.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The tokens and tags thread holds lots of info for you. Pics would help.
Almost no chance your finds can't be identified.

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
FT - there are a lot of token collectors out there and eBay seems to be the best medium for someone to contact them. You are right, a lot of people take a stab in the dark as to pricing. If you have something that is sought after, a starting price of 1¢ will work as the collectors will bid the price to close to what the piece is worth. Starting at $150 generally results in "No Sale" - and to determine more about pricing, look at eBay's completed sale prices, rather than active listings which may never get a bid.

On your tokens, pics would certainly help. The only "Skill Award" tokens I know of say "Good for 1 free play" rather than a monetary value like 1¢. These were used in slot machines which were designed to get around gambling laws, so rather than paying in cash, they pretended to be games of skill that rewarded winners with more plays.

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AM2s with groundhog duel coils both cranked up , Garrett ace 250 , Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am getting a camera together now and we are trying to take pictures of them.

FT - there are a lot of token collectors out there and eBay seems to be the best medium for someone to contact them. You are right, a lot of people take a stab in the dark as to pricing. If you have something that is sought after, a starting price of 1¢ will work as the collectors will bid the price to close to what the piece is worth. Starting at $150 generally results in "No Sale" - and to determine more about pricing, look at eBay's completed sale prices, rather than active listings which may never get a bid.

On your tokens, pics would certainly help. The only "Skill Award" tokens I know of say "Good for 1 free play" rather than a monetary value like 1¢. These were used in slot machines which were designed to get around gambling laws, so rather than paying in cash, they pretended to be games of skill that rewarded winners with more plays.

John in the Great 208

OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
skill tokens 063.JPG skill tokens 060.JPG

OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you can see they say SKILL AWARD on one side then on the reverse 1 CENT IN TRADE . From what i take of it that would have been for a miners company store or for the shooting tournaments that were held there as people like wild bills shooters would go there to shoot tournaments and what not . What do you think of them and this is the lower end of the scale quality wise but showed up best in pictures . The other contents of the mason jar were of a fair value but nothing that would change my life. These were in the mason jar and it had collapsed in on itself but lucky these were wrapped in a paper (more like a piece of hide) to hold condition . I would think they were of value back then to whom buried them and we can not find anything about them. If you check the ebay 1 guy has one and only 1 there for like 150 bucks (my wife says she thinks $267 bucks) but Ive found no justification for that price . I think I have 9 total or 12 and if your interested and they are of that value we would swap a couple for a used handheld pointer as we have none that are not machine based. Thanks for any help

OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ADDED PICTURES NOW . THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE HELP

OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Foxtrot; Nice picture. ALWAYS Post a picture of BOTH sides of an item ok. NOW a thing struck me. You said you found them in a box or something ?? Please Post a picture of that container as well. That will also help us ID and Date your finds ok. ALWAYS Post a picture of EVERY detail you can. Nice Find. How many were there ?? Post the picture. If there are a lot of them We "might" be able to Vote for Banner for them due to their unusual type of find ok. Post the story of how you found them with the pictures ALWAYS ok. PEACE:RONB

idahotokens

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2003
Primary Interest:
Other
FT--thanks for the pics. What you have is indeed as I said - WWII era slot machine tokens. IMO you would be fortunate to get $5 each on eBay. Prove me wrong:unhappysmiley:

John

OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No time for proving wrong and I thank you for your intel on them. I will just stick them in a memory box and date them. hmmm I will however go through as I think we have a few tokens we found. Just not a bunch of the same kind. Thanks greatly for your time

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
That ebay link above, that guy wants $242.99 for it!

I'd say good luck on that!

OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one weird thing though and I do not doubt anything said by any experts but the other coins and objects date prior to 1900s. is it possible they are WW1 or anything ? I just want to tag them correctly if they are of no use to anyone for maybe the Grandchildrens Grandchildren

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi FT; NOPE. Idahotokens gave you the right info. That guy on Ebay is just plain NUTS ok.!!! :tongue3: PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
F

Foxtrot197

Jul 21, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I would agree with that and like I said that ebay guy i could find no justification for why he priced it as so other than I was thinking he was taking a shot in the dark at it. Thanks all for your time on this one and hope I can return the favor
Hi FT; NOPE. Idahotokens gave you the right info. That guy on Ebay is just plain NUTS ok.!!! :tongue3: PEACE:RONB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread