At Gold and 1st time experience today.

Hiball76

Jul 17, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett At gold, equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still New to metal detecting, I'm getting lots of practice of pin pointing and securing lots of buried scrap. Lol... Today though my detector threw me for a loop, I've dug quite a few pull tabs, pop tops in the 60's but today when swinging away I had a solid 84-85, I could tell it wasn't very deep and to my surprise it was a pop top. I removed the culprit, rechecked the hole and the target was gone. At the risk of showing my inexperience, I decided to ask anyways, why such a high target Id? Improper ground balancing? I did a air test and could repeatedly pull a solid 85.

image.jpeg

Thanks in advance, I know some questions probably get repeatedly asked.

Sorry

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just what it rings in at - 85.

Not every pop top, pull tab, or bottle cap will have the same number. A quarter dollar can be a 81, or a 93. JUST DEPENDS.

Less analsys, more swinging. Onto the next target :)

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are lots of factors that affect your vdi. Depth, position, other objects near by. Although it's very helpful, don't depend on it for an ID or you will miss a lot of good stuff. I focus more on sound and my gut. Just saying.
Welcome to a great forum.

HH RN

OP
OP
H

Hiball76

Jul 17, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett At gold, equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just what it rings in at - 85.

Not every pop top, pull tab, or bottle cap will have the same number. A quarter dollar can be a 81, or a 93. JUST DEPENDS.

Less analsys, more swinging. Onto the next target :)

Fair enough ... Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a ground balancing issue as it was a 1st time encounter amongst all my digging thus far.

Thanks

There are lots of factors that affect your vdi. Depth, position, other objects near by. Although it's very helpful, don't depend on it for an ID or you will miss a lot of good stuff. I focus more on sound and my gut. Just saying.
Welcome to a great forum.

HH RN

I been running in all metal mode so outside of scrutinizing with iron audio off/on to try and learn what my detector is telling me prior to digging, I pretty much dig everything, I figure at min I can reduce some of the crap targets and maybe hone in on the good stuff later.

Thanks for your input.

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ground, moisture, target orientation, bends in the target, target ID corruption from nearby objects, corrosion of the target, etc. Dig everything, at least for awhile. Digging what is "reasonable" will happen on its own and is different for everyone.

"The most important quality in a detectorist is the unflinching willingness to dig."

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could also be that it isn't aluminum it could be another metal pull tab some older ones like on dinty moore stew weren't aluminum.Can't tell how big but some oil additives had other metal pull tabs.Also sardine cans.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The AT Pro is a great relic hunter (using it today at an 1814 homestead), but it also, as all metal detectors cannot determine the difference between junk and goodies with the same ID number. With experience you develop techniques to limit the junk digging, but you will always dig some; part of the game. If your digging 1960's pull tabs you are in an old place where people surely lost the keepers. Have fun and enjoy the experience.

GL & HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions