bigfish313

Nov 11, 2013
El Cerrito CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and BH SS II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
California's Drake's Bay MD prohibited!

My friend is having a back to school beach party for our children. I was really excited about MD with my son and his friends. I looked at the rules here and was kind of shocked.

"Metal detecting and detectors are prohibited in the park to protect cultural and historic resources. Metal detectors may be transported through the park if they are cased and broken down so as to prevent their use."

I can carry my firearm, have a bonfire and drink alcohol but I can't metal detect??

Does anyone know of a petition I can sign and fight back? Or how do I start a fight?
This rule is stupid!

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get in touch with the:
"Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights Foundation "
Drakes Bay is a National Historic Archeological Area.
It is on the Registry for National Historic Places. I don't think there is anything you can do about it.
It a person gets caught metal detecting, they can inform you of their "No Metal Detecting Policy and /or impound your detector, vehicle, and issue a violation that could lead to a stiff fine.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Fortunately very little of the entire coast of Ca's beaches are administered by the fed. Most are state, city, and county. And no, not worth fighting. The only thing THAT would do, is bring-more-awareness against us . Eg.: encourage "BOL's" and alert them to all-of-the-sudden be aware and start booting people, etc.....

I see they allude to "cultural heritage" as the basis for this. Oh sure, none of us would argue with protecting obvious historic sensitive monuments under that logic, right ? Bodie, Shiloh, Ghettysburg, etc... But the BEACH for cryin' out loud ?? Heaven forbid any of us should find a wheat penny or buffalo nickel. Neeeooohhhhh

OP
OP
B

bigfish313

Nov 11, 2013
El Cerrito CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and BH SS II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fortunately very little of the entire coast of Ca's beaches are administered by the fed. Most are state, city, and county. And no, not worth fighting. The only thing THAT would do, is bring-more-awareness against us . Eg.: encourage "BOL's" and alert them to all-of-the-sudden be aware and start booting people, etc.....

Good points.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, we lost the state parks here in Mass. But fought them to keep the state beaches open to MD'ing.....so far so good, but we have to remain watchfull.

Here the antiquity rule is 50 years.....how many of us does that qualify as "antique"! :eek:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread