Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've read that there have been a few safe-deposit robberies at banks lately. Banks are not responsible for lost or missing contents of the box, and my insurance company will not insure the contents. Courts have ruled that when you deposit your cash into a banking system, the bank owns your money. Just like they own your safe-deposit box. Do you really trust bankers with your contents of their safe-deposit box?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read that there have been a few safe-deposit robberies at banks lately. Banks are not responsible for lost or missing contents of the box, and my insurance company will not insure the contents. Courts have ruled that when you deposit your cash into a banking system, the bank owns your money. Just like they own your safe-deposit box. Do you really trust bankers with your contents of their safe-deposit box?

I don't really trust banks with my money let alone the deposit box.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Before the feds or any state take over your safety deposit boxes, they need to go to court with a good reasons, and get court permission, like drug dealers hiding their money. We had read too many stories of people who had their coin collections rob in their homes and their offices. Here it cost around $35.00 per year for a small box. If and when I find treasures, I will sell most of it through a coin auction house, like Stack's and Bowers, in 3 locations. I do not work for them, but I had purchased coins from them, and will sell my treasure coins through them. Before you search for treasures, make sure you know how you going to sell them. Good hunting and good luck.

Don't take much to get a court order. A friend had a safety deposit box. Friend and wife had access to the box, she died, he couldn't get into the box until the government boys had a chance to go through it. Wasn't any big deal, there wasn't anything out of the ordinary in the box. Seems like going through the safety deposit box is automatic when someone dies. After that happened to my friend, I've paid attention, and that's not the only time over the years. One in particular was in the local news paper. Spouse died, tax people checked the box, and it had several thousand in cash and valuables. It was a big deal and made the news paper, and it wasn't drug money. They were very successful business people and that money was placed after taxes, but the survivor had an expensive court fight to prove it. You think you are innocent until proven guilty? Not with taxes, you got to prove yourself innocent, and you got to pay your own court costs, attorney etc. If you want a safety deposit box, that's fine with me, just giving a heads up, that's all. If there is just one or two ounces of gold and silver in the box, it's no big deal, but if a person can afford to buy an ounce of gold ounce a month, with after tax money, and you bought the gold for say 10 years, that's a pound of gold a year, and ten pounds of gold in a safety deposit box, your estate will have a problem. If this was done during my life time, starting when gold was at $35 per ounce, and done over years, the gain in value of that gold is taxable. So if you are using a safety deposit box, you better have the receipt for the amount paid in the box with the gold, because like I said, you are guilty until proven innocent.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, if you must know........... As said above getting a search warrant isn't a biggie anymore. The big buzz on the conspiracy sites is they aren't even bothering coming up with any sort of decent probable cause to seize assets. And when you are cleared, they drag the process out long enough to make most people just throw in the towel. The last place on earth your cash & valuables are safe are a safe deposit box. If you want someplace safe, read the posts here where finds were made & there's a lot of books from the 60s - 80s written for the "heads" to help stash their dope. Adapt to your own situation.
If you don't really like your relatives all that much, set up your hidey spot then leave a clue to another spot with a clue to another spot that has a clue to another spot then to your hiding spot etc etc etc. At least you made em work for it after you pass!

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pvc pipe for gold coins. Go to building material secong hand store, get a reverse osmosis water filter housing. Cork and glue the holes. This can hold cash, a derringer, coins, jewelry...just bury in the yard away from a tree or a supply pipe. 2 or 3 feet down, put flattened pop can a foot above it.
If you dig the hole in the daytime, be sure to have a potted plant or tree next to you, as iff you're planting it.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Pvc pipe for gold coins. Go to building material secong hand store, get a reverse osmosis water filter housing. Cork and glue the holes. This can hold cash, a derringer, coins, jewelry...just bury in the yard away from a tree or a supply pipe. 2 or 3 feet down, put flattened pop can a foot above it.
If you dig the hole in the daytime, be sure to have a potted plant or tree next to you, as iff you're planting it.
PVC - I thought that was a big no-no. You don't want the green goo. First not copper, then silver, then gold.

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
You can buy fake spray cans like paint and WD-40 that you unscrew the top and put your stuff in. Then put it in your utility room. That is a thought. Mine is hiding in plain sight.

You just have to pick up the glass top and look under each shell.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BEING A WATER HUNTER 90% OF THE TIME - I HAVE LOTS OF GOLD - I HAVE IT HERE AND THERE IN ODD SPOTS
BUT ONLY TIME I REALLY WORRY IS WHEN ON LONG TRIPS - I WILL PUT IT IN WASHER OR DRYER AND COVER WITH CLOTHES
WHAT THIEF IS GONA GOING LOOKING IN THERE - oh crap - now you all pirates know :tongue3::tongue3::tongue3:

better yet, under the smelly clothes in the hamper

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by fistfulladirt

PVC - I thought that was a big no-no. You don't want the green goo. First not copper, then silver, then gold.
Please explain ?

HOW COINS ARE RUINED | Scott Travers US Gold and Rare Coin Expert

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you the article, very interesting and informative! :icon_thumleft:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
False bottom in the cat litter box

eddiecurrent

Dec 25, 2015
Treasure coast Fl.
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-x2, fisher cz3d and cz 20, tesoro golden sabre II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by fistfulladirt

HOW COINS ARE RUINED | Scott Travers US Gold and Rare Coin Expert

An interesting article, but it refers to pvc other than pipes intended to carry drinking water.
Gold doesn't break down, silver simply tarnishes, and of course if you seal the ends of the pipe with caps and bury it, the coins aren't subjected to sunlight and humidity.
A gold coin can sit for 250 yrs in caustic salt water without degrading or losing it's luster.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nowhere my wife was a gold digger :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions