OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
make what 26 or 13 i dont understand ?????? the bars have been in the sea for 72 years maybe coral grew over them or the waves made them sink ????? im asking how much could they sink ???

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would depend on the medium the gold is in. If there is reef covered with sand it would sink to the reef and be stopped. Being that close to shore usually ocean sand is several feet deep. Under average conditions a 30+ pound gold bars specific gravity would put in the 6 - 10 foot range. You didn't mention the location. If it's US coastal waters there's a difference between Atlantic coast and Pacific coast coastal bottom. There is also a difference in Gulf coast waters. If gold is in the gulf it would sink 2 to 3 times the distance stated. There are also specific areas along each coast that have deeper sand pockets than others allowing a gold bar such as you mentioned to sink deeper. Particularly south of Virginia along the North Carolina coast to mid Georgia. The sand is quite fine and deep there close in to shore. Also, any place where there is large out flow from tributaries into the ocean there is a lot of vegetation which turns the ocean bottom to muck. That would contribute to a gold bar sinking further. A lot to consider from a simple question. Oceanography is the science you require in your this case. They are the people that would know the density of the ocean bottom and tidal conditions in the area of your interest. Seek them out for a more accurate answer.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nothing sinks. They arent sitting in liquid, they are sitting on a solid material made bottom substrate. Then storms shift that bottom around and cover the bar. Eventually this happens enough until it the bar is sitting on the bedrock, however deep that is.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I would have to know the exact location to answer. :laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Hey there 666, do you have some sort of conclusive lead on where a "400 oz" (25 pound!) bar exists ? I mean, to say specifically that's in 3 ft. depth of water, @ 20 ft. from shore, sounds like you have a location pinned down, eh ? That's over half a million in gold melt value. Are you sure you're not on some urban legend tall tale chase ?

But in any case, it's sort of as Jason says: Sand shift around all the time (assuming you have a bottom that includes sand? Versus 100% always corral hard??) . I have scuba dived and chased aluminum cans to 2 ft. deep, that were crisp fresh losses. Doh! *Obviously* it's simply a case of the sand moving around and covering and un-covering stuff all the time.

For example: You know how the inter-tidal zone has sand that changes around with the seasons all the time, right ? Beaches erode and re-fill with each rough surf, swell, tides, etc..... SO TOO is it with the under-sea world. The sand is not "constant". There are "dunes" underwater every bit as much as there are "dunes" above the water.

So there's no answer to your question. But for an object of that value , and seeing as how you have the exact location, why is the depth sinkage an issue ? For that price you can get heavy equipment (3 ft. wont' even reach the hubcaps) and just dig that puppy out with an excavator. His bucket swings around, and dumps 4 yards of spoils at a time on the beach . Or dredges or sand pump fans, etc... Afterall, if your investment at such measures is $10k to $100k, what do you care ? You're about to be 500k richer, which more than pays for the equipment.

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
first off i cant use a excavator here in negros ...... with my metal detector i cant see down to the bedrock i figure its at least 6 feet down .......i know 100% the bars were buried with there hands in the sand i even know the exact time and day ..... i researched this for 13 years .... and yes there many tales here and the treasure hunters here are all con artists they play on greed ......investors will never see a dime back ....... ive heard and seen it all never believe anything from the philippines .........and remember u are being watched at all times here .......remember up in manila bay theres $90 million worth of silver dollars pesos in 120 feet of water still to this day thats a fact

CanSlawKing

May 9, 2016
Longmont, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
make what 26 or 13 i dont understand ?????? the bars have been in the sea for 72 years maybe coral grew over them or the waves made them sink ????? im asking how much could they sink ???

Hey, 666.
Sorry about the stupid response. I think I'm pretty funny when I drink. That was just a sarcastic way of saying that there were too many factors to give you any kind of decent answer without more information.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like treasure buried during WWII.
Lots of tropical storms and cyclones that can make huge deposits of sand. These storms can also rip out huge amounts of sand.
Good luck with your venture.

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
i understand theres many factors but drinking not one of them .....and im not going to use the word sink because jason says nothing sunk ......tell that to japanese on the boat in 1944 .....i know the proper word is not sink mybe ill use the word travel downward being its a solid and a liquid and not a liquid ........well what i seen here sand and water act like quick sand .......but how much does gold travel downward in gravel??????? a answer would be helpful on what i do next ......u have a good day canslawking

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.............. ive heard and seen it all never believe anything from the philippines ....

You took the words right out of our mouths :) You say yourself that the Philippines is plum full of the treasure lore stories. All will sound so iron clad 100% true, right ? Everyone there is certain they know where a treasure exists (in a cave, at bottom of some bay, etc....) "If only they had a metal detector that goes 3 to 6 meters deep". Any funny symbol or odd shape seen on a rock in the middle of nowhere, they think "aha, a treasure" , right ?

Ok then, with this out-in-the-open now, can you blame us when we see another post from the Philippines saying:

.......i know 100% the bars were buried .... i even know the exact time and day ..... i researched this for 13 years .... up in manila bay theres $90 million worth of silver dollars pesos in 120 feet of water still to this day thats a fact

Keep in mind, that the other stories , that you agree are embellished silly telephone game legend, will all have believers. They too are *just* as convinced as you are, that their story is 100% true.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... .......but how much does gold travel downward in gravel? ....

Re-read post #8. It won't matter "how fast" it sinks, or better said by Jason "How fast it's covered" (by shifting sands). Because in the SAME WAY that objects go deeper in beach sand, SO TOO do they occasionally get UN-COVERED by shifting sands.

I have dug modern coins a foot deep. At other times I've dug coins from the 1700's that were 1" deep. This is because sand on the beach (whether above or below water) is not stationary. They move with the seasons. Beach erosion (and subsequent spring /summer fill) is not a phenomenon that only happens in the inter-tidal zone. It also occurs on the undersea bottom. Re-read #8

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
....... the bars were buried with there hands in the sand ...

I thought you said it was in 3 ft. deep water ? How then can someone "bury it with their hands" while underwater ?

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you said it was in 3 ft. deep water ? How then can someone "bury it with their hands" while underwater ?

They had help from the Devil! DUHHHHH!:laughing7:

I think I could bury a bar , if motivated, in 3ft of water with my hand, in the sand. The bar in one hand would help hold you down, Maybe? Who knows! I doubt I'll ever get to try it.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
They had help from the Devil! DUHHHHH!

They used snorkel gear perhaps ? I mean, duh, for anyone wishing to "hide" a gold bar, why bury it on land ? Bury it in the water of course. Makes perfect sense, eh? Or the ocean's levels rose since 1943 thus now making it 3 ft. deep ?

I'm sure some ancillary part of the story will evolve to make this oddity be passed to the next person in the telephone game, to perfectly explain it.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They used snorkel gear perhaps ? I mean, duh, for anyone wishing to "hide" a gold bar, why bury it on land ? Bury it in the water of course. Makes perfect sense, eh? Or the ocean's levels rose since 1943 thus now making it 3 ft. deep ?

I'm sure some ancillary part of the story will evolve to make this oddity be passed to the next person in the telephone game, to perfectly explain it.

YES!! Global warming raised the Oceans!! Geezzzzzzz! You skeptics are all the same!:laughing7:

OK,OK, I'll quit playing in the thread.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
tom thats 3 feet of water at zero tide,,,,,,,,, the tide level at 445 pm in 1944 was 25 inches and come this dec 13 2016 it will be in only 17 inches ......i know 99.9% of the stories here are all bs but i check this story from every angle........ the only problem in 72 years somebody from japan could of found it there is a map of the spot and some japanese have searched over the years ....... so if it was say only 1 foot deep its long gone if its 4 feet or more its still there ..... due to the law and the eyes here its very hard to dig like u say in 3 to 8 feet of water thats the tide levels from o" tide to the highest tide ....i have the only 4" dredge here and theres even problems with using that just to many eyes and im over 6 feet tall on the beach im like a christmas tree in middle of a winter corn field if u know what that means remember aveage pay here is about $2 a hour and theres no welfare so i hope u understand its possible its still there because theres to many people here

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread