vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
order_soldier.gif
Say what? Put your big boy pants on and get back out their and suck it up! Sorry - just couldn't resist. Looking forward to see what you find.

OP
OP
Cuervo

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem, I am not going to risk my heath for a deep soda can. That is probably what it is. I marked the spot, and will check it out when the weather is better.

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went MDing today, and got a good signal, it is too hot and target is too deep. So I aborted and went back home to Air Con environment. Will probably have to wait 2 or 3 days for cooler weather. I will let you know what the target is at that time.

Lol that happened to me once. The target was deep in cement hard clay, and under some thick tree roots. There was no way I was getting to it using a digger or a shovel. I even ordered one of these because there was no way I was going to leave it forever wondering what it was.

e5c994978895930ffcbf9b92c23ef36f.jpg

So I go back one week later, guess what it was? Yep a beer can!

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey you never know man lol you may go back and find something great! Be sure to update this post when you find out because I need to know now lol.

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cuervo; I think you made the right call. There is no amount of finds to replace your health. Me, I take some heavy duty meds due to a broken back. I don't care if I found Fort Knox if I'm not feeling good I'm headed home. Dead soldiers can't keep fighting on ok. Good Luck. Remember to repost your find in PICTURES ok. PEACE:RONB

Upnorth42

Sep 26, 2014
Nova Scotia
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went MDing today, and got a good signal, it is too hot and target is too deep. So I aborted and went back home to Air Con environment. Will probably have to wait 2 or 3 days for cooler weather. I will let you know what the target is at that time.

I had this happen recently. Not because it was too hot but because I did not have anything sufficient to dig with. I could not get it out of my mind so I went back with a shovel to see what it was. Turned out to be 3 license plates laying flat and far deeper than I would have thought my metal detector could detect.

Waste of time but it was sort of like having an unchecked lottery ticket. The possibility is there until you check.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Two years ago, during the summer, I hit a good target under a giant oak tree. The ground was just too hard to get at the target, and it was a public spot, so no shovels... plus I figured it was a can anyway. I forgot about the target... six months later, at the same place, I hit the same target... I wonder why I never heard this target before, as I go to dig, I notice that the spot is slightly cupped on the surface, and remember that I tried to dig this target but couldn't get to it. I dug a big old 12" deep hole, in the now soft moist ground, stuck the pin pointer in and nothing? This was in the dirt pile... my only Franklin half!

Attachments

• IMG_20140725_193046_976-1.jpg
    IMG_20140725_193046_976-1.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
Cuervo

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cuervo; I think you made the right call. There is no amount of finds to replace your health. Me, I take some heavy duty meds due to a broken back. I don't care if I found Fort Knox if I'm not feeling good I'm headed home. Dead soldiers can't keep fighting on ok. Good Luck. Remember to repost your find in PICTURES ok. PEACE:RONB

Got it. I think the weather will be down to about 73 to 74 degrees on Sunday, it is about 87 now and with humidity feels like about 94 or 95 degrees. Cuervo.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cuervo

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aug 20 2016.

It is 11:48 PM Aug 20 2016. The heatwave has finally broken. Tomorrow I will go back to the target and indentify what it is. Probably a soda can. I MDed that area about 30 years ago with a White's 6000 Di series 3 and found a coin spill of at least 8 inches deep, Quarters dimes nickels and copper pennies. I should have kept that detector, but I had to trade it in for a White's EII otherwise I could not afford the EII. When I say that I MDed, I mean that I metal detected, and not that I am dead. Ha ha ha. Anyway the EII is programmable so that I can accurately detect 95 percent of 94 to 95 percent steel core with cladding Canadian coins, all USA coins rings and pulltabs and knock out 90 percent of all foil and knock out 95 percent of bottle caps, and that is with bottle cap reject set at zero. If you have an EII and would like the program for Canada let me know and I will send it to you.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its ok, i went out early this morning and dug enough shreaded cans slaw for the both of us. So your mystery deep item can be 3-4 silver halves.

I was also wondering why most of the targets were deeper than usual, then it occured to me that the ground has more moisture deeper down and that enhances the deeper targets while the surface has almost no moisture so theres no enhancement of shallow targets.

OP
OP
Cuervo

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may be right. I have not yet gone out of the house today to check the weather. It is about 12:40 PM Sunday now. I will be taking my back-up Discovery 1100 and a Tesoro Golden umax. The target in question was detected with the 1100, but I will double check with the umax as it has an all metal auto-tune mode. I am now going outside to check the weather and if it is within my comfort zone I will be off in a few hours.

OP
OP
Cuervo

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: Retrieved the target about 6 inches deep in gravel. It is a piece of aluminum dross. A piece of what? A melted piece of aluminum about 1.5 inches wide and about one half inch thick. Not sure if it just aluminum or a mixture of lead as well. The actual area that I found an eight inch coin spill no longer exists. It has eroded into the river.

OP
OP
Cuervo

Cuervo

Aug 11, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures, , we want Pictures. Requested by "against the wind."
Hello, here are the pictures of the object. The date on the pictures are dated the last time the camera had batteries in it. The camera does not have a back-up battery for the date, it has NEPROM that maintains the last date after the given alotted time to replace the batteries is exceeded. These pictures were taken today, Aug. 22 2016. 002.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

68kaiser

Feb 6, 2016
Northern California
Detector(s) used
F4, tesoro vaquero, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dig those damn things all the time.. The always sound good.. But I know the one I don't dig will be the Benji like posted earlier. Its sick how wondering about what you may have left will eat at you while you try to sleep.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread